• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Holidays 🎆 Lent 2021

michaelskis

Cyburbian
In the 2020 Random Thread, a very wise person indicated that instead of New Years Resolutions, they focus on Lent to establish transformational changes. I thought that was very insightful. Given the direction of everything related to politics, society, COVID, and just life overall, may it wouldn't be such a bad idea to reestablish our sense of faith.

But it got me thinking, and reading, and researching, about what transformations I want to make in my life, is there something that I would give up for lent, and what is, and is not biblical.

I know some people in here give up alcohol, soda, or sweets for lent. Others go as far as giving up Cyburbia for lent, and there are many that give up meat on Fridays and Ash Wednesday during lent. There as a separate school of thought to give during lent. This could be money, time, or possessions.

As a few of you know 2020 was extremely hard on me and my family, and 2021 has not looked much better thus far. In some ways we have been immensely blessed during that time, but in other ways the challenges have really eroded the foundations of who we are and our lives.

Also as a few of you know, for some years I have been interested in thinking outside the box and biohacking. I have found great success with some aspects of it, but there hasn't been anything that has really stuck.

So, for this year, I am going WAY outside the box and going on a Carnivore Diet for Lent. I will still include back coffee, but otherwise it will 100% animal product (Meat and Eggs). The exceptions to that will be a fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. I was surprised that my Doctor wasn't opposed to it and I have confirmed with my Pastor that there is nothing in the bible that says we should 'give up meat' during lent. He went into what the true meeting of lent is, and how some churches have established direction in an effort to help guide people on how to follow the intent of scripture.

What, if anything, are you doing for Lent 2021?

kms

Cyburbian
I think I may stop eating restaurant food during Lent. Except maybe a fish sandwich once or twice.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I almost forgot yesterday was Ash Wednesday. Nobody asked me "So, where are your ashes?" It's not like home, where having a clean forehead is a kind of heresy.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I almost forgot yesterday was Ash Wednesday. Nobody asked me "So, where are your ashes?" It's not like home, where having a clean forehead is a kind of heresy.
We received our ashes yesterday via a single use q-tip. I am convinced that the ideal amount of ashe applied to ones forehead is best applied by something smaller that our pastor's fat finger and something bigger than a q-tip.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
I grew up Catholic but am very very lapsed and consider myself Agnostic at this point. But in the spirit of Lent, I am continuing something I started as a new years resolution and giving up a certain magic herb that has eroded my intellectual capacity and maturity level over the past few years. 57 days in and feeling allot better than I thought I would, so why stop now? Lent can be some added initiative!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Day 2 of the Carnivore diet has been difficult as my body is once again switching from carbohydrates to fat as the primary fuel source. I am doing much better than I thought I would, especially being that this is the first two day stretch in decades that I haven't had coffee.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I'm not Catholic anymore (non-denominational now) so the beginning of Lent slipped between the cracks for me this year. This winter has simultaneously dragggggged on and passed by surprisingly fast. I did get back on a diet-and-exercise program to lose holiday/COVID-stay-at-home weight, so I'm (mostly) giving up lots of tasty treats. :p