• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Lest we forget.....

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I went down to the Wall sat night in the chilly wet air and paid my respects (to all the war monuments)

THis weekend is also "rolling thunder" and all vet bikers were there en masse it was very moving to see these older, weathered men crying as they spoke to buddies long gone. to see women go look for their dad/brother whatever

i took a friend of mine with me, an ARMY SF officer just back from Afganistan and we cried together. DAMN ive been many times but THIS time got me deep

THANK YOU to everyone that has served

PG

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I posted a little reminder before I even saw this message. If I remember im my heart and mind, their spirit lives on.

I've been the the Wall about 15 years ago. I cried, too. Not the biggest monument, but certainly the most powerful and moving.

Thought a lot about our fallen vets yesterday, and lately in general. And gave my favorite vet that is still living a big thank you (my dad).

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
As in, "This is so cool that I must hype it so that everyone can see it!"

When I lived in New Haven, Connecticut, there was a multi-war memorial on top of East Rock Park. This New York Times image reminded of that. What a nice way to catalog the memorials in a city. In my hometown of Saginaw, they're trying to consolidate all the war memorials into one location, at Hoyt Park. In memory of my dad's service for the Korean War, I've been thinking about buying a brick for the memorial.

el Guapo said:
Alan,
"Hype" - ?

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
el Guapo said:
Alan,
Thanks.
Did you see the Iconography and the Transect article on Planetizen last week?

"While the Urban Transect promotes the city's coherence with respect to density and massing quite well, it does not promote a coherence with respect to the appearance of buildings. Dino Marcantonio presents a Transect which describes status, which he calls the Iconographic Transect."

I wonder what a military memorial transect chart would look like? That New York Times image got me thinking... here's a lttle experiment, photoshopping the NYC memorials onto the Planetizen image:

I'm not sure what function this would serve. Perhaps some sort of analysis for the funding of future memorials or improvements to existing memorials? Or an analysis, relating location with memorial quality, to determine why some memorials are visited more often than others? I'm not really sure, but I think it looks cool.