• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Let it out...what are your pet peeves...

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
It's one of those days, and it's only 10am...here are some things that drive me absolutely crazy:

* People that interrupt other people when they are talking.
* People that complain about something and don't do anything to fix it, or in fact make it worse (i.e. complain that their broke and go shopping and drop a grand in one day on needless things)
* Self absorbed people that say their your friend, but when your having the worst day of your life, or terrible terrible news, they respond by saying "really, wow...well, I got laid last night and it was great and blah blah blah"
* People that have a problem with something your doing and instead of having cahones enough to come talk to you about it, they b!@&% to other people knowing it will get back to you.
*Husbands that act like they are two years old, and when you politely ask them TEN TIMES to stop what they are doing because it is annoying and they keep do it, then wonder why your angry.
*Men that look at your chest when they speak to you, especially creepy crawly developer types that come into the office.

That's all for now...what are yours?

SW.....I ditto all of yours with some additions:

**People who turn off the coffee pot at 8:30 a.m. rather than make another pot knowing that people still drink it during the morning.

**People who leave the coffee pot empty and turned on so that the pot burns so badly that it needs to be replaced.

**People who make weak ass coffee.

**People who take the last doughnut or the last of anything and leave the empty container on the table rather than throw it away.

**People who feel compelled to add their 2 cents to a conversation that has absolutely nothing to do with them nor did it originally include them.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure the list will grow as the day progresses.

donk

Cyburbian
Dr's whose some total of their medical advice is (a) learn to live with it, (b)quit your job and move and (c) if it bothers you don't do it. this is teh advice I just received for a recuring problem that is now a year old.

People who hold out their professional and personal ethics as the best / highest and then proceed to criticize and attack other professionals with respect to their ethics and professionalism.

When at a party, people taking your last beer.

Jeff

Cyburbian
The coffee thing kills me, as well as the water bottle. Yesterday I set the new office record. I made 3 pots of coffee and changed the water bottle all before 8:30 am.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
- NIMBYs

- People who know nothing about football, but insist on making stupid observations and comments throughout the game even though they have no idea what they are talking about. It just drives me up a wall. Last year I was at a Super Bowl party and this guy wouldn't shut up. It got so bad that I went to another room with a tv on so I didn't have to hear it anymore.

- Self absorbed people

- People who refuse to admit they are wrong

- People who blame everyone else for their problems and never take any responsibility for their actions

- One issue voters - I can'e believe that people will elect people because they agree with them on one key issue, like abortion.

- People with bad breath that come to the counter. (I was thinking of putting a dish of mints up there

If I give it more thought I will think of a lot more.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
People that complain about high taxes, and then make us "remind" them to shovel their damn sidewalk. Then we have to send a guy out to hang a tag. Then he has to go out 24 hrs later and see if it's done, if its not, then, we have to send another guy out to do it, then, my assistant has to bill them.....

Jen

Cyburbian
salt piles everywhere, the roads are caked with it, and there areliterally piles of salt all over the sides of the roads and streaked up the middle. Its not ice or slush it is too much salt!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Impatient people and drivers, drivers in the breakdown lane even where it is legal,

People who never shut up,

Punky teenagers of all walks of life and (worse) adults who act like punky teenagers,

Adults who belittle teenage cashiers and waitresses for no good reason,

People who think that the character of their neighborhood is so perfect it should be illegal to live any other way,

People who really believe that the guy who owns a vacant piece of property should have no rights other than to provide them with open space,

Overly politically correct people and those who think that their hurt feelings require legal compensation,

Over-sexualization of every single aspect of American life,

Restaurants that assault you with way too much food just to show off,

Mexican restaurants that microwave everything,

I could join the 1,000 post clube based on this thread alone.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I second everything SW MI says and Planderella and would like to add:

**stopping by to talk only because the person you're really waiting for is on the phone- I have work to do and my office is not a waiting room**

**when it's your day to take all info requests by phone and at the counter- be here. Don't take a 3 hour lunch, don't schedule meetings on "your day", and don't make snide comments about the other staff going to lunch.**

**don't take other people's food out of the fridge- it's not yours and why the hell would you eat someone else's leftovers?**

**not giving change correctly- first the change, THEN the bills, and count it back and give me my reciept at the end. (If you do it any other way the change falls all over the place)

That's all, mostly work related.. and unfortunately one person in the office has all of these qualities. ugh. oh well, makes me grateful I'm not that person-

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
OOH! Have another one:

People, whether members of the public or staff, that stop by your office because they need to talk to you, find that you are on the phone, and then sit and wait in your doorway until your off the phone. I HATE this! Do they think I am going to get off the phone faster? Nope, if not, I just make it last longer.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
A co worker, anything I say is wrong, no matter what its wrong. I can't possibly know what Im talking about. I get annoyed with having to back up every thing with proof. Read "misogynist"

Bosses that change their mind and chew you out regardless ( a serious problem at my job)

People that use one or two words to express an idea and expect you to understand what they mean. when you say "thats mine" i dont touch it-then dont get mad becouse i did not do whatever you thought you told me to do with it. "thats mine" does not tell me to do all sorts of processing.

So much salt on the road that white puffs of salt come up after cars go down the road days after its snowed. Long lines a the few open car washes. My silver car is white with salt.

People that cant merge in traffic.

most lawyers-never mind i have datted a buttload of them.

give me time this is just some of them.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Inconsiderate co-workers. We have this lady who works here who thinks 1) the world revolves around her, and 2) she can come and go as she pleases.

An example, our receptionist/secretary was out sick 2 days last week. So this other lady, who should help cover the counter and phones, decides that she was taking a half day on Friday, when she knew that she was needed to help. Anytime she knows that she will have to work the counter and phones, she comes up with a fake illness, problems with her kids, or just leaves. Problem is, she really has no supervisor here so she gets away with it. I had to cancel plans to go to a GIS users group meeting last week because she decided she didn't want to work.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Yep, and another one....

People that come into my office because they need info (or whatever) and then their cell phone rings, they answer it, then proceed to have an actual conversation with the person that called. Just sitting in my office across the desk from me and sit there and talk. I'd understand an emergency, but for anything else, sorry - I've got crap to do. I've had this done to me a couple of occasions, and don't know how to deal with it....

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
i had that happen in GSO, i asked them to leave my office and reschedule the meeting (of course my schedule was PACKED so it was hard) if they ignored me i got up and left. i had other things to do.

i admit i was a byotch but damn i got the job done and folks respected my time and space once i got em broken in good.

i used ot make them reschedule if they were late too. it was typ a 2 week wait or more for a meeting with me.

ecofem

Cyburbian
I could go on for hours on the lethal mix of jackasses and cell phones.... the phones ringing in expensive restaurants.... heck... I have even seen folks at the gym, on machines, talking away and yelling "you're breaking up".... uh no.... you just can't hear them over the drone of the elliptical machines and treadmills -jerk!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
People who take their little kids to adult movies. I saw One Hour Photo (rated R) and this six year old boy a few rows up started feaking out when Robin Williams' eyes started gushing blood, and also when he held the other guy captive with a knife.

For some reason, I've always hated washing lettuce. I'd rather cook a big meal than deal with figuring out what parts are good and washing all those stupid leaves.

ecofem

Cyburbian
excellent point.

But maybe a little more leeway should be given for phone ringing in a Chick-fil-a verses Chi-Chi Restaurant on 5th.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
New one:
People who smoke, then come in to the counter, then shake your hand when they leave. Now my hand smells like I have been smoking. I need some hand sanitizer in my office. God knows what these people have stuck their hands before they come in here.

donk

Cyburbian
People who come into the office for a project and decide they want to have personal conversations with you, about their kids, wives, vacations etc.

Oh, and when they come in and say you are new here, no actually I have been here for 4 years, hired 2 people, and had one leave since I've worked here.

Finally (for now), when people bring there kids to the office and let them run around and touch stuff, then get mad when you ask the kid not to touch items.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I don't have many peeves... it's hard to annoy me most of the time. If I'm in a bad mood (which is rare) most of the things mentioned above (cellphones in restaurants/movies, etc.) will get to me.

The only thing that annoys me on a continual basis is when someone finishes all but the last sip of milk, juice, or whatever and then puts it back in the fridge.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Oh, here's another one. To sell alcohol in this city you need a Use Permit. Applicants go to Tax and Licensing to get the state paperwork filed and don't get an understanding they have to get into Planning to file for the UP before their 60-days is up with the state (this is mentioned to them, but not stressed). Most applicants come in with 10 days left and they don't understand why we can't get them through the public hearing process in 10 days. A lack of planning on their part does not mean an emergency on my part and if they drag their feet I shouldn't have to fast-track the case to help them out.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
People who take their little kids to adult movies. I saw One Hour Photo (rated R) and this six year old boy a few rows up started feaking out when Robin Williams' eyes started gushing blood, and also when he held the other guy captive with a knife.

People who take little kids to ANY movie. Even at kids movies, some idiot will bring an infant or toddler and then all you hear is screaming or little feet thudding up and down the aisles.

People shopping with their cell phones on, talking to someone at home about which color/size they should buy. And the ones who actually go thru a fast-food drive-thru, using their cell phone to consult with another person while ordering: "Do you want them to supersize that? OK, hold on a sec..."

Supervisors who make changes to staff reports just because they can.

People who invade my space when I'm checking out in a store; I'm writing a check or waiting for my change and they've moved to within a 1/2 inch of me.

People who talk too fast when leaving a voice mail, so you have to replay it 3 times to get all the info you need.

People who crack/squish their gum in public; this one drives me nuts. Also people who chew gum during meetings.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
My biggest one is the lack of respect that female planners get from the typical developer/engineer....just because the planner is female doesn't mean she can't do the job or will be wooed by your "charm."

I've seen this far too much in other communities and with friends of mine that are female planners.

Jeff

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
My biggest one is the lack of respect that female planners get from the typical developer/engineer....just because the planner is female doesn't mean she can't do the job or will be wooed by your "charm."

I've seen this far too much in other communities and with friends of mine that are female planners.
......the politically correct pet peeve. How cute!

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Mike DeVuono said:

......the politically correct pet peeve. How cute!
Sorry...but a couple of my friends have been seeing more of this lately than ever before....

Adding a not so-politically correct one: Boards and commissions that have conflicting (and often hidden) agendas in dealing with development projects that aren't willing to compromise.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
I don't have many peeves... it's hard to annoy me most of the time.
I wish I was like Nerudite . . but here's some more:

Women who wear t-shirts and jewerly that say "bitch" on them. You know if you ever called them that they'd either cry or scratch your eyes out.

Waiters who show off by not writing your order down and then messing everything up.

The word “cream-puff” in real estate ads.

Hearing the same stupid ethnic jokes again and again especially from paid writers – the british have bad teeth, the italians are gangsters, irish are drunks etc.

People who can never understand that the paper street near their property that somebody drew on a map 100 years ago doesn’t entitle them to anything.

Giant chain store reps who insist on 40’ tall sign when the mom and pop store they will drive out of business is limited to a little window sign.

People who show up the day of a planning board meeting expecting to be on the agenda.

Elderly surveyors who draw illegible, incomplete plans and don’t understand why the mean city staff makes them revise the plans to meet modern standards.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:

Hearing the same stupid ethnic jokes again and again especially from paid writers – the british have bad teeth, the italians are gangsters, irish are drunks etc.
Hey, Irish One, this wasn't about your French comment.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Chain emails.
People who don't put forth a customer service attitude no matter what their station in life.
Doctors who think their time is more important than yours – the 30 minute sit and stew.
The coffee laziness already well documented here.
Rude people with power.
3’s, 8’s, Calvin pissing, Mean People Suck, No Fear and all the other cultural pollution people insist on putting on their vehicles.
Just about every possible form of television.
The federal government screwing the old vets that were promised health care for life and now are on Medicaid like the poor.
People that bask in a loser lifestyle and celebrate it.
Harley Davidson riders who modify the factor pipes.
Politicians without vision

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
People who talk too fast when leaving a voice mail, so you have to replay it 3 times to get all the info you need.
Oops, I think I am guilty of this...I am trying to get better, but I am a fast talker by nature....

Thanks NH! On that same note - I just finished a meeting with a stinken developer - it was him, myself and our 65 year old MALE engineer. The developer (male) talked to the engineer the whole time, and directed questions at him. Hello - I'm the planner, I can tell you the the requirements/process etc. Our engineer is great though - he knows how I feel about it, and he would look at him and say "That's something you would have to ask Chris (me)" and let me answer it. By the end of the meeting the developer was asking ME questions, like the dork was supposed to....course he was looking at my chest, but at least he was asking me, not the engineer!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
SW MI Planner said:
*Men that look at your chest when they speak to you,
And from a male perspective...

*Women who wear very low cut tops with push up bras and get pissy when men look at their chest. Same goes for mini-skirts and legs...

kms

Cyburbian
"C" words that are spelled with a "K" - Kim's Korner

When someone drives through a stop sign, and wave at you for being polite, when you were just avoiding the accident they would cause.

When someone sends an email joke and requires a "read" receipt.

When I turn up a good song on the car radio and one of the kids begin asking me questions so I have to turn down the radio.

Today - people at the market who stand on front of the bread I want to select and sort through their coupon file.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Wow... you guys have a lot of peeves. Last night someone tripped over the cord of my block heater and/or pulled it out. My car wouldn't start this morning due to the -40 degree overnight temps. It was rude and all... but that didn't even get me riled. I guess I'm mellower than most.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
kms said:
"C" words that are spelled with a "K" - Kim's Korner
I can't believe I didn' t say that. I especially hate it when its directed at kids - they will never learn to spell because of business owners trying to get around copyright laws. It will only get worse as todays Kim's Korner is tomorrow's KKim's KKorner. There should be zoning regs against this.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Seabishop said:
It will only get worse as todays Kim's Korner is tomorrow's KKim's KKorner. There should be zoning regs against this.
Oh that reminds me of one - Bureacrats that think there should be a regulation for everything. Last time I checked, this was America. ;)

Habanero

Cyburbian
Female pet peeve: sizes are never the same and every company has it's own idea of what the size should be-

Co-workers listening in to your conversations and then asking you over the cube wall about it.. if I wanted to tell you about the random lamma farm call- I would.

People who fall asleep in meetings.

Any person who always thinks something is wrong with them but remains undiagnosed. One up here says he's asmatic and narcoleptic- um, no, it's called being obese, if you dropped 80 you'd be able to get up the two flights of stairs and you'd sleep better.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Unflushed urinals in the workplace.

If you go through the trouble to zip down your pants, pull out your ****, expel your bladder, tap, put your weiner back, and zip back up, then why can't you push down the flushie handle? It's just one extra easy step.

MODERATORS NOTE FROM bturk (I know unlikely as it seems): Naughty word edited out.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
- Businesses that are poorly run or that are not well kept, but insist that it is the City's sign ordinance that has caused the loss in business.

- Getting bad food at a restaurant that has recieved good reviews

- Residents who show up to meetings and demand to speak against something, even though there is no public hearing.

- Sports cliches like: We gave 110 percent, We brought our A-game, take it to the next level, not getting the respect we deserve, This team shows a lot of character, etc

Repo Man

Cyburbian
This is along the lines of using "k" instead of "c"

I hate these bands that all spell their names with different letters: Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Korn, Staind, Phish, Mudvayne, etc.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
People who fart in elevators... then look around like someone else did it.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Beaner said:
Unflushed urinals in the workplace.

If you go through the trouble to zip down your pants, pull out your c***, expel your bladder, tap, put your weiner back, and zip back up, then why can't you push down the flushie handle? It's just one extra easy step.
Adding too Beaner's well made points...The infamous Mr. Drippy. Hey Mr. Drippy If you's gots prosrate{sic} troubles, wipe up what don't land in the zone.

And one more. People who are whatever political party because their friends are and it makes them more popular with the in crowd. I especially hate people that join in public protests to get laid or get a date or whatever other self serving reason posesses them.