• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Let it out...what are your pet peeves...

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
"I especially hate people that join in public protests to get laid or get a date or whatever other self serving reason posesses them."

So? Whatever it takes makes sense to me.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
TexasPlanner said:
Any person who always thinks something is wrong with them but remains undiagnosed. One up here says he's asmatic and narcoleptic- um, no, it's called being obese, if you dropped 80 you'd be able to get up the two flights of stairs and you'd sleep better.

Thank you! If you think you are sick, go to the doctor and stop trying to diagnose yourself. And on the obesity front, I see more 300 lb. people who b%$#h about their bad knees and arthritis or have raging cases of type 2 diabetes. Um, if you weren't grossly overweight, perhaps your joints wouldn't be about to collapse from the strain.

Another health related pet peeve: people who come to work sick. Please don't try to be a tough guy and come to work with the flu. We really would rather that you not spread the joy!

Habanero

Cyburbian
Yes, anyone like Muggie, or Muggie itself is a huge pet peeve- I agree with the cheese-eater-

xo-
toothless Tex

;)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A small gallery of miscellaneous pet peeves.

ricer.jpg

Nextel.JPG

chick.gif

i410_looking_w_from_281_overpass_7-july-2001_lres.jpg

Runner

Cyburbian
Hey Dan,

You came to San Antonio and didn't even stop by to say hello, what's up with that?
;)

Runner

Cyburbian
But, you do have pictured one of Mrs. Runner's and my favorite restaurants: Pappadeaux in San Antonio!

I think I'll take her there next week for dinner :)

Wannaplan?

Ready to Learn
An Office Assistant three or four cubicles away that chews and snaps and pops and pops and pops and pops her gum. That jarring, immediate, unpredictable noise always catches me off-guard and sends bolts of death lightning through my ears and down my spine.

Also, the assistant on the other side of my cubicle: Talks on the phone all day, and when not on the phone, walks throughout the building to visit with other employees. Total time of actual work performed during a normal 40-hour week? My best guess: 5 five hours.

Co-workers with the personality of rocks and dress like little fragile Barbie dolls. Blank stares, Matrix-like conformity, gets to work right at 8:00 am, lunch exactly at 12 noon, and out the door for the day exactly at 4:30 pm. Okay, so maybe you don't like where you work. Let it out, get loose, and relax! Geez! Or else the apocolyptic visions of Clockwork Orange might infest the days of your future.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
El Guapo said:
Naturally skinny people who bitch about fat people. I forgot that one. :)

Overweight people who bitch about being fat while scarfing down twinkies or other hyper-caloric food.

Jeff

Cyburbian
plannerkat said:

Overweight people who bitch about being fat while scarfing down twinkies or other hyper-caloric food.

I'll take 3 double cheeseburgers with extra cheese, biggie sized fries, an apple pie, and a diet coke.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Mike DeVuono said:

I'll take 3 double cheeseburgers with extra cheese, biggie sized fries, an apple pie, and a diet coke.

Do you want butter on those burgers?

donk

Cyburbian
Don't you mean bacon double cheesburgers, with a side of low fat mayo?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
How 'bout people who call "important" meetings, make you do all sorts of preparatory work, come in when you're still feeling somewhat sick, and then cancel the whole thing without telling you...

Yes, this is my day so far.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
It had to be said

People that think the Segway will cause a paradigm shift and revolutionize the cityscape

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I totally forgot one of my biggest pet peeves: Crappy local newscasts. I can't stand it when they send some poor lackey out in the cold weather and have him talk for 3 minutes about how cold it is outside. I also hate it when they have some guy out in front of the salt trucks when it is going to snow. Look, I have been outside, I know that it is cold outside, and I know to bundle up. I don't need the local tv guy to tell me this. Its Wisconsin, its January, its going to be cold! While I am on the topic of weather, why must the weather guy/girl explain all of these meteroligical terms? Just tell us what is happening today and for the next couple of days, then go away.

I drive my girlfriend nuts ranting about our horrible local newscasts and the garbage that passes for "news"

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
jtfortin said:
Look, I have been outside, I know that it is cold outside, and I know to bundle up. I don't need the local tv guy to tell me this. Its Wisconsin, its January, its going to be cold!

You get it, I get it, but some people just dont get it.

Whats with all the mullets that are dropping through the ice on snowmobiles and dying? Just because its cold doesnt mean the lake is frozen, Mr. Mullet.

Jeff

Cyburbian
jtfortin said:
Just tell us what is happening today and for the next couple of days, then go away.

....and how about getting the forecast right. Jeez, I should be a meteorologist. How hard can it be? These guys have less succes than a pitcher and his batting average.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Im with there there Mike. Here if they say a few flurries expect a couple inches at least, they call for 4-6 inches and you get a dusting.

sigh

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I will give one local newschannel a wee bit of credit. They had this complete annoying dork and his dog do the morning weather and they would dress a cartoon of the dog to show how you should dress. It was called "What's Spunky Sportin'?" Thankfully they didn't renew his (or the dog's) contract.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Entry level local newscasters that are only there for six months until they have enough material for a demo tape who pretend they have local ties. We are a bootcamp for the neighboring big city's four news programs. Damn they are young. My wife complains about one 10:00 pm weather guy being "up past his bedtime."

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
jtfortin said:
I will give one local newschannel a wee bit of credit. They had this complete annoying dork and his dog do the morning weather and they would dress a cartoon of the dog to show how you should dress. It was called "What's Spunky Sportin'?" Thankfully they didn't renew his (or the dog's) contract.

That idiot followed me to Milwaukee from Green Bay. I hated him then too. A-hole always wore sneakers with his business suit (when was the last time you saw the reporter's feet, he would say).

donk

Cyburbian
On a related fashion note, and I tend to wear the planners uniform, people who wear white sport socks with a suit or dress clothes. this is common here, especially at the few funerals I have been to.

kms

Cyburbian
I hate is when the local news assigns itself a title based on current events:
America Under Attack
The Big Blizzard
Da da DAAAAA

Just call it the Channel 4 News.

I also hate it when there is some disaster thousands of miles away, and the news finds a "Local Connection". "My wife's third cousin babysat INSERT NAME. He was a quiet guy who would help anyone." Where do they find these people? Is there some intern who has to call numbers in the directory surveying people until they find some one, or do these idiots volunteer the info?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
bturk said:

That idiot followed me to Milwaukee from Green Bay. I hated him then too. A-hole always wore sneakers with his business suit (when was the last time you saw the reporter's feet, he would say).

He happens to live in Glendale, so I see him walking his dog every once in a while. The public works guys here can't stand him. I guess he is always bitching at them about stuff.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
jtfortin said:

He happens to live in Glendale, so I see him walking his dog every once in a while. The public works guys here can't stand him. I guess he is always bitching at them about stuff.

S'ok. A friend of mine lives next door to Mark Belling in one of the Yankee Hill towers. UGG talk about a reprehensible man.

Planderella

Cyburbian
Here are some parking-related pet peeves:

**People who park directly next to you when there are million parking spaces available.

**People who straddle the parking lines and consequently take up two spaces.

**People who park way too close to you and end up dinging/chipping your door when they exit and enter their car.

I can probably sum all of this up by saying People who just can't park!!

Jeff

Cyburbian
Idiots who park their $50K SUV next to the shopping cart corral....

I actually had a picture at my old job that showed a brand new Expedition, straddling the yellow, next to the cart corral.

Woman driver getting out of course.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Runner said:
You came to San Antonio and didn't even stop by to say hello, what's up with that?
;)

It's not really San Antonio, but rather the Texas urban aesthetic. Frontage roads lined by billboards and businesses with outrageously tall signs seem to be that state's trademark for urban development. Austin's not that bad, nor are the northern 'burbs of Dallas, but the rest of the state ... my God, the two-hundred-foot-pole fabrication industry there must have incredible lobbying power.

I drove through San Antonio once, several years ago. Sorry, but it just reminded me of a somewhat greener, larger El Paso. I know there's Riverwalk and the German/Czech culture, but still ...

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Mike, you best go get some serious flame proof clothing-i think some of my sister planners are going to look to have you for a late lunch

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Mike DeVuono said:
Woman driver getting out of course.

Oh, you'll just LOVE Denver.

Take the following scene. Multiply it by about 100,000. Welcome to I-25 during rush hour.

donk

Cyburbian
Flipping past much music last night and saw a video by everclear for "volvo driving soccer moms". The theme of the show was Top 10 videos based in suburbia.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
How about the entry-level newscasters, or the ones clawing their way up from a smaller market, who come to your city and mispronounce all the local place- and people- names? Shouldn't they ask someone if they've never seen the word before?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Zoning Goddess said:
How about the entry-level newscasters, or the ones clawing their way up from a smaller market, who come to your city and mispronounce all the local place- and people- names?

Didn't really see much of that when I lived in Buffalo. Most of the entry-level newscasters were locally born and bred. Unfortunately, there was a trade-off ... you heard the proper pronunciation of "Cheektowga," but with a whiney, nasal Buffalo accent.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Another driving pet peeve: Men who think they can drive better than a woman because they were equipped with an extra appendage. Vinny and his two hitmen don't help you in a car unless you're in the backseat.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
TexasPlanner said:
Another driving pet peeve: Men who think they can drive better than a woman because they were equipped with an extra appendage. Vinny and his two hitmen don't help you in a car unless you're in the backseat.

I can steer with mine while I open those difficult non-screwtop beer bottles...

prudence

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Here are some parking-related pet peeves:

**People who park directly next to you when there are million parking spaces available.

**People who park way too close to you and end up dinging/chipping your door when they exit and enter their car.

I can probably sum all of this up by saying People who just can't park!!

Let's apply these comments to planning...you are in favor of leapfrog development and sprawl.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Opening an old thread so I didn't have to start a new one (1).....

Some of The Bear's pet peeves include:

1. Slow drivers in the fast lane.
2. Tailgating idiots.
3. People who use high beam headlights almost all the time and never dim them for others.
4. Printed instructions in do-it-yourself kits (such as furniture) that are generic for a bunch of different models, so you have to figure out what line applies to your current model.
5. People in grocery stores who park their cart on an angle in the middle of an aisle and wander away, looking for Post Toasties or something.
6. Vehicles parked that are quite deliberately taking two (2) spaces. (I don't care if they do this on the outer reaches of the lot.)
7. People who don't place the phillips head screw drivers in the phillips head screwdriver drawer (in the tool bin in the garage) and other tool box violations. Not mentioning any specific names.......Katie, Michael...... :-{
8. Cyburbian residents who think it's kool (notice the spelling) to always include two (2) versions of a number in their sentences. :-D

Bear

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Bear Up North said:
Opening an old thread so I didn't have to start a new one (1).....

Some of The Bear's pet peeves include:

5. People in grocery stores who park their cart on an angle in the middle of an aisle and wander away, looking for Post Toasties or something.Bear

Turn your pet-peeve into a sporting event!

Carry a few small, but very expensive (caviar, perhaps?), items in your cart. When you see the rogue cart in your way, drop the pricey item into a deep corner... With any luck, they have some little kid with a jelly covered face unload the cart, and *bingo* they spend $37.89 on some:

russian_caviar.jpg

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Knocking on a locked bathroom door. If its locked that means someone is in there. You on the outside have no right to an explaination as to what's going on inside. :-{

MitchBaby

Cyburbian
simply put - cheaters... whether of the relationship kind, gaming kind, planning application kind... any kind of cheater drives me up the frackin wall...

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Knocking on a locked bathroom door. If its locked that means someone is in there. You on the outside have no right to an explaination as to what's going on inside. :-{

What about people that urinate all over the damn toilet seat, so when you get in there to take a #2, you have to either clean up the mess or hover :-@

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Bear Up North said:
6. Vehicles parked that are quite deliberately taking two (2) spaces. (I don't care if they do this on the outer reaches of the lot.)

Oh man, does this ever piss me off! That's a good way to get an extra "pen-stripe" added to a car!