• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Let it out...what are your pet peeves...

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Rumpy Tunanator said:
What about people that urinate all over the damn toilet seat, so when you get in there to take a #2, you have to either clean up the mess or hover :-@

Or leave a big hairy dump and don't flush...

zman

Cyburbian
** I hate the word "Pet Peeve" what the heck does THAT mean?

**When the mayor, city manager, or your director have a meeting with the applicants of your project, and don't tell you about it. :-@ :-@

**I also hate it when the local network TV stations refer to sitcoms with the name of the news cast.

"CSI: Miami, tuesdays at nine, on News4..."

Just say tuesdays on Channel 4.

** We had a secretary for a couple months last summer. She would always be on the phone with personal calls. When people would come to the counter with a question, instead of hanging up and helping them I would get a knock on my cubicle wall. :-@

**Also I hate it when the Planner on Call becomes the closest planner (i.e. ME) instead of the planner assigned. I mean we pick days based on work load. If I am not On Call, that means I have lots of work, or lots of Cyburbia time (Hey, I'm not kidding anyone, I'm almost in teh Clube) ;)

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
My lastest rant is buying something from someone should be painless. I mean if I am going to spend thousands of dollars purchasing an item for the city, I should not have to do any work. I should just have to call the company or sales person or whom ever and tell them that I want ot buy it. Don't call me and tell me I need to do x,y and z .... If an account needs to be set up, ok, I have people to do that. Don't frickin call me again and ask if we should do this, that or the other thing.

grrrrr

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
People parking in handicaped parking spaces :-@ "But it's just for a little while!" (and then they spend 1 hour inside the mall or supermarket.... inconsiderate a$$holes.

I hate waiting at the doctor's office. If I have an appointment at 10:00, I expect to see the doctor no later than 10:15. Anything more than 15 minutes is just unacceptable to me. Unfortunately, my GP and OB are wonderful doctors, just have horribly organized offices, so I regularly get pissed while I'm there, just not angry enough to leave. The worst ever was an OB appt that took over 2 hours, because I had to first wait for a sonograper, then a midwife, then the OB. :-{

- tailgaters. buddy - get off my a$$, or I'm going to slow down to the speed limit.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Downtown said:
- tailgaters. buddy - get off my a$$, or I'm going to slow down to the speed limit.

You're too kind. I continue to slow down incrementally until a) they back off, b) they pass me, or c) we come to a complete stop.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Word Usage

Bump.

Fewer or Less?

From the MSN on line Dictionary:

As a general rule, fewer is used with things you can count (fewer meetings, fewer people), whereas less is used with things you cannot count (less time, less money). The same difference applies to the use of fewer than and less than: fewer than twenty people, less than an hour. Designations of price, age, and measurement are normally regarded as singular, the idea being that, for example, it cost less than ten dollars has to do with an amount of money rather than a number of individual dollars. The use of less where the sense of countable number is strong (you may use the express lane if you have less than eight items) is relatively common, though many object to it.

Just so you know.

Tresmo

Cyburbian
Passive aggression. If you want to say something, just f*$&#^% say it. If you can't communicate like an adult, just crawl into a hole. :-(

jmello

Cyburbian
Lately, my biggest pet peeve is people who do not push their chair in after using it.

That is one of mine too. It shows where they came from and what type of upbringing they had or didn't have. Heavy walkers also demonstrate the same contempt for others, IMO.

zman

Cyburbian
** I hate the word "Pet Peeve" what the heck does THAT mean?

**When the mayor, city manager, or your director have a meeting with the applicants of your project, and don't tell you about it. :-@ :-@

**I also hate it when the local network TV stations refer to sitcoms with the name of the news cast.

"CSI: Miami, tuesdays at nine, on News4..."

Just say tuesdays on Channel 4.

** We had a secretary for a couple months last summer. She would always be on the phone with personal calls. When people would come to the counter with a question, instead of hanging up and helping them I would get a knock on my cubicle wall. :-@

**Also I hate it when the Planner on Call becomes the closest planner (i.e. ME) instead of the planner assigned. I mean we pick days based on work load. If I am not On Call, that means I have lots of work, or lots of Cyburbia time (Hey, I'm not kidding anyone, I'm almost in teh Clube) ;)

Hmmm... so full of anger... (shakes head)... ;) "I love you, little buddy!!!"

TOFB

Cyburbian
Teenagers that leave their dirty, unrinsed dishes in the sink, right next to the dishwasher.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Men who leave the toilet seat up in the unisex bathroom at the office, especially if they missed the mark.

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
Drivers who wait until the last possible moment to change lanes, despite signs warning "Land Ends - Merge Right" or "Right Lane Closed Ahead - Construction Next 4 Miles" for two miles before the actual lane closure or end. I'm not sure whether it annoys me more when people do it because they're dumb and don't read the signs or when they're assholes and do it on purpose (especially when there's traffic backup) to get ahead of other people.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Men who leave the toilet seat up in the unisex bathroom at the office, especially if they missed the mark.

Women who complain about the seat being up (it does work in both directions) and men who show their manliness while standing by not lifting it first. Either sex that leaves a wet seat or an unflushed toilet. Secret smokers who do it in public restroom stalls.

btrage

Cyburbian
What is it with women peeing all over the seat? Seriously.

From my experience working in the fast food industry, women can be just as disgusting as men in terms of bathroom behavior. I've seen some nasty s**t.

Tresmo

Cyburbian
From my experience working in the fast food industry, women can be just as disgusting as men in terms of bathroom behavior. I've seen some nasty s**t.

I know, I am one... They squat instead of sitting on the seat (because it's "dirty") and then p*ss all over it. Then they don't wipe it off, because it's dirty. I wanna yell at them, it's dirty because you p*ss all over it AND don't clean it. Morons.

Another one:

A toilet at work was slightly clogged last week, just with paper or something (nothing disgusting, plus it's a low volume flusher so it barely flushes when there's just water in it). What does a co-worker do? Instead of taking the plunger that is NEXT TO the toilet, she goes back to the office, types and prints up a sign, gets heavy cardboard to print it on, then tapes "Out of Order" on the stall door. Really? Really? She should have stopped being a wuss and plunged it. It's not like the plunger fairy comes and does it for us. :-@

Sorry. Hot button issues for me. Obviously.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
At the moment:

Forum boards where the moderator thinks of himself as a dictator where if you speak in opposition to him or his political agenda they punish you with suspension (as if that will ever happen) :-@:-@:-{:-@:-@

Young teeny bopper girls who are talking on the phone, doing 10 miles under the speed limit, in the left lane, while talking about a topic that could be turned into a Seinfeld episode. :-@

Socially insensitive bearcats who are willing to forgo the common sense of doing the right thing for every opportunity to sell their vote to the highest bidder. :-@

The American Planning Association’s involvement with China :-@

Middle age guys who try to intimidate me into taking immediate action and give their neighbor a ticket and have them deported because of a garbage can being placed in front of the garage instead of the side, when they are too fearful to actually walk over and ask their neighbor if they would be so kind and store the garbage can on the side of the garage and not in front of it. :-@

Cats:-@

The inflated cost of wedding supplies:-@

People who leave ¼ of a cup in the coffee pot and don’t turn it off :-@

(And this is the short list)

Iron Ring

Cyburbian
I know cell phones are a common hot button, but in particular:

When someone comes into your office, interupts what you're doing, and asks if you have a few minutes to discuss some "important issue". Sure, no problem... Then about 30 seconds into the conversation their cell phone rings... AND THEY ANSWER IT!!!! So you interupt my day and now I have to sit and listen to you yap on the phone in MY office? At first I used to wait, then I would walk out, now I point at the door.

IMO answering your phone in the middle of a conversation with someone is one of the rudest most self-centered things you can do. 'Voicemail' people, use it... nothing is so important that it can't wait 5 minutes for you to finish your conversation.

jmello

Cyburbian
I wanna yell at them, it's dirty because you p*ss all over it AND don't clean it.

Actually, urine is quite sterile. It only develops bacteria after sitting for awhile.

Drawing from my experience as a hotel housekeeper/houseman, I would concur that women are often much less sanitary than men in the restroom.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Socially insensitive bearcats
Oh don't even get me started on bearcats:-@. Regular bearcats are bad enough, but those socially insensitive ones are always the worst!
[ot]How are bearcats categorized under Linnean classification? They are mammals I assume?[/ot]

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Oh don't even get me started on bearcats:-@. Regular bearcats are bad enough, but those socially insensitive ones are always the worst!
[ot]How are bearcats categorized under Linnean classification? They are mammals I assume?[/ot]

(not be confused with bureaucrats who work to serve the people)

I will add to my list F&*#ing grammar Nazis who feel it is their duty to point out everyone’s errors instead of kindly going in to change it for their friend. (maister, You are so getting seated as far from the bar as possible at the wedding reception)

edit:
The bearcat (Arctictis binturong) is a mean little creature that lives in forest canopy in rainforests will forgo its friends for food or pleasure. It also makes clicking noises when unhappy and will not hesitate to eat their own kind if threatened.

Sounds a bit like a Jr. Senator from NY.

Last edited:

jmello

Cyburbian
Let me add a new peeve: catch phrases

"Sustainability"
"Carbon neutral"
"Context sensitive design"
etc.

These practices should be common sense. Putting a name on them is not going to bring the others around to your/our camp. How does one "train" an engineer not to ram a five-lane arterial through the middle of a historic village?

Also, referencing them in a plan does not equal implementation or even intent, it's just a bunch of BS.

"The Village of Yurtsville strives to create a diverse and sustainable community with lots of social equity and choice for all through the implementation of carbon neutral context sensitive design." That'll be $30,000 please.

Michaelskis said:
I will add to my list F&*#ing grammar Nazis who feel it is their duty to point out everyone’s errors instead of kindly going in to change it for their friend.

That is actually spelling, not grammar.

Last edited:

ruralplanner

Cyburbian
Toilet paper dispensors that have the extra role on top of the role in use. If order to use the 'in-use' role you have to hold up the extra role. If you don't, you just get schnivels of toilet paper to use or the end of the in-use role disappears all together causing you to not only hold up the extra role but now hunt for the in-use end.

And since we are on the subject-- budget cuts. Those infamous dried up dribbles on the toilet seat are now cleaned up every other day.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
[ot]Back in my day, respectable men didn't show their schnivels in public.[/ot]

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
People announcing their pet peeves......like I care.

;)

craines

Cyburbian
1. People who insist that I pull their finger.........
2. When driving, people who insist on merging in front of you even though there are miles of lane behind you.
3. Opening a cold one and having it foam over on the kitchen floor when the wife is in there so you cannot blame it on the kids.
4.Clutter
5.People who still insist on writing checks in front of me while me and my IPA's wait.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member

Me too...15 years spent in the industry. The second to last restaurant I ran was next to the river where many homeless people camped out and it was in a crank infested area as well. I had to have electric locks installed on the doors to dissuade illicit activities.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian

It's not just in the semi-public restrooms either. In college, I worked as a sanitary engineer, a.k.a janitor, on the night crew at a pharmaceutical company one summer. We had to clean labs, restrooms, and the test animal areas. Of the three, the women's restrooms were the worst. It was a close second between the organic chemistry labs and the test animals but the animals had more personality than the chemists and their area didn't smell as bad. At least we knew what we were cleaning up.

mgk920

Cyburbian
Let me add a new peeve: catch phrases

"Sustainability"
"Carbon neutral"
"Context sensitive design"
etc.

These practices should be common sense. Putting a name on them is not going to bring the others around to your/our camp. How does one "train" an engineer not to ram a five-lane arterial through the middle of a historic village?

Also, referencing them in a plan does not equal implementation or even intent, it's just a bunch of BS.

"The Village of Yurtsville strives to create a diverse and sustainable community with lots of social equity and choice for all through the implementation of carbon neutral context sensitive design." That'll be $30,000 please.

That is actually spelling, not grammar.
-What will get me going most is anyone, especially someone running a business, government agency or any other similar thing whom should know better, putting apostrophie's into their plural's. I'll go right on by if I see that in their advertising or literature - WHAT ON EARTH DO WE PAY SCHOOL TAXES FOR, ANYWAY??? :-@ :-@

-Zit-faced kids at the FF or CS counters whom can't do simple math, like making change, in their heads - WHAT ON EARTH DO WE PAY SCHOOL TAXES FOR, ANYWAY??? :-{ :-@

-Aggressive weavers on the freeways and city streets :-@ :-@ :-@

-People whom can't follow a logical, linear thought progressions :-@ :-{ :-@

-Twisted up phone cords. :-o :p

Mike

Hceux

Cyburbian
Poor grammar.

For example, it's not "people that do this and that". It should be "people who do this and that". It's not "apples, oranges and banana". It's "apples, oranges, and banana".

But, then English is my second language. Perhaps learning all the rules explicitly was such a torture when I was growing up and it irks me when I see people whose mother tongue is English making grammatical errors without giving them a second thought.

Why do some people dislike "grammar cops"? What entitles people to abuse the English language that may lead to misunderstanding for others?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm not a big fan of grammar cops. English is probably the most widely spoken second language on the planet. Since its vocabulary is borrowed from so many other languages, and its grammar is influenced by both Romance and Germanic languages, it's difficult to master. I think I'm patient with non-native speakers, although I can't help but laugh at the stilted, overly formal and wordy Victorian-style English used by some Asian Indians. The "You will kindly do the needful and answer all my questions about town planning in your country in a most speedily manner" emails and posts are the basis of the banhammer images that accompany banning announcements for Indian link builders.

My pet language peeves are most often perpetrated by native speakers. These include using an apostrophe-s to pluralize words ("There are many car's on the road"), improper use of contractions ("You're car is adding to road congestion", "Your going to a seminar on traffic congestion next month") and random capitalization ("There are Many cars on the road, and Your car is just Making congestion Worse.")

Corporate-speak is another one of my long-standing language peeves. It seems like everything is some kind of "solution" now.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
My pet language peeves are most often perpetrated by native speakers. These include using an apostrophe-s to pluralize words ("There are many car's on the road"), improper use of contractions ("You're car is adding to road congestion", "Your going to a seminar on traffic congestion next month") and random capitalization ("There are Many cars on the road, and Your car is just Making congestion Worse.")

Yes! I had a boss who followed all of these practices, and I had to constantly review and correct everything he wrote.

My personal favorite language peeve: Adding an apostrophe to a possessive pronoun ("The cardinal lost some of it's feathers"). What's particularly annoying is that this error is increasingly prevalent in newspapers and other publications where a higher standard should apply. I found multiple instances of "it's" instead of "its" in a new museum exhibit yesterday. It's probably a losing battle, but it drives me crazy.

mgk920

Cyburbian
Yes! I had a boss who followed all of these practices, and I had to constantly review and correct everything he wrote.

My personal favorite language peeve: Adding an apostrophe to a possessive pronoun ("The cardinal lost some of it's feathers"). What's particularly annoying is that this error is increasingly prevalent in newspapers and other publications where a higher standard should apply. I found multiple instances of "it's" instead of "its" in a new museum exhibit yesterday. It's probably a losing battle, but it drives me crazy.
I have the same problems with people misusing the apostrophe in 'its vs it's'. It is an exception to the 'possessive = apostrophe' rule - 'its' is the possessive while 'it's' is a contraction of 'it is'.

Also, brought up by someone else, but I was taught that the correct use of the comma is to omit it before the 'and' in a list of items (ie: 'one, two, three and four', NOT 'one, two, three, and four').

AND, as I brought up earlier in the thread - WHAT ON EARTH DO WE PAY SCHOOL TAXES FOR, ANYWAY??? :-@:-@

Most of these problems are due to simple laziness and incompetence at the grade school level (we should start demanding our money back!). :-{ :-@

Also, speaking of 'random' capitalization of words, in written German, ALL nouns are capitalized in sentences and from reading older stuff (ie, the original part of the USA Constitution), it seems like that was also the rule in the King's English until about 1800 or so.

Mike

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Those drivers that DO NOT use their turn signals to indicate that they are making either a turn or a lane change. :-@

SuperPenguin

Cyburbian
Those drivers that DO NOT use their turn signals to indicate that they are making either a turn or a lane change. :-@

Drivers who DO use their turn signals. After sitting in the left turn lane for three minutes. And after already completing half of the turn.

Gee, I never would have figured it out on my own by that point.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Traffic lights that refuse to turn green when you are the only one at the intersection.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Blogs with absolutely no contact information. Why? Because it makes it nearly impossible to contact bloggers that have a blogroll with every urban planning site under the sun except Cyburbia. The only way to contact them is by making a post, which I hate doing because it seems kind of spammy.

CJC

Cyburbian
Litterbugs - especially the smokers out there who would never think of tossing an empty cup on the ground, but toss hundreds of cigarette butts a week onto the pavement or out the car window - many times right in front of other people :-{

TOFB

Cyburbian
Drivers who refuse to see/acknowledge/accomodate bicyclists. Especially (oops, here goes) women on cell phones.