• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Let it out...what are your pet peeves...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
a bit off topic: Indian giver is such a bad word.

[ot]The term originated with European colonists who occasionally made a point to give goodwill gifts to the native Americans when they first settled (and even later). Both European and native American cultures understood the gifts to be offerings intended to establish friendship, but trouble began when the differences in the concept of ownership emerged. In European cultures a gift implies a complete transfer of ownership from one entity to another. The native understanding, however, was that the gifts were pooled into a communal ownership to be shared by both peoples. The idea of some form of giving not being completely reciprical was completely foreign, as all property was communal for them. So great ill will was brought on in those instances when the natives came to use one the items they gave to the Europeans and were refused - in their view that was an unthinkable thing to do with a 'gift' and the Europeans saw this as wanting to 'take it back'. The term 'indian giver' persists as a reflection of this Eurocentric view of ownership even today.[/ot]

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Drivers who refuse to see/acknowledge/accomodate bicyclists. Especially (oops, here goes) women on cell phones.

Drivers who think that the bike lane is a right turn lane or merge lane!

I have seen a car turn right into another car who was using the bike lane as the right turn lane. It blocked my on-ramp so I got to hear the person who was in the bike lane try to pin the blame on the other guy who was following all traffic laws other than checking their blind spot.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Litterbugs - especially the smokers out there who would never think of tossing an empty cup on the ground, but toss hundreds of cigarette butts a week onto the pavement or out the car window - many times right in front of other people :-{

Oh yeah. This is definitely a pet peeve of mine. I would go on canoe trips with my friends, most of whom were smokers, and they were flicking their butts in the river. PIssed me off:-{:-{. Here we were on this lovely river, floating through some of God's best country, and they are littering. I nagged them so much, they stopped and, aftern snuffing out the butts, stored them in a baggie. :-D

Almost got in a fistfight with a family from Kansas in a parking lot in Glacier National Park. I had just finished a wonderful hike along the Garden Wall and was loading up to leave. There was a big-ass RV parked next to me and the patriarch of the clan proceeds to empty his ashtray on the ground! :-c:-{:-@:-@

"Mister," says I. "Look around you. Does this place look like a garbage can?"

He told me to f*** off. His two boys start getting in my face. Fortunately a couple other hikers saw the hubbub and moved in behind me. Neither of my newly-found friends looked too scary and I don't think they were going to back me up if fists started flying. But their presence at least took a little starch out of the teenagers.

So they got back in their RV and left. I picked up the butts.

mgk920

Cyburbian
Oh yeah. This is definitely a pet peeve of mine. I would go on canoe trips with my friends, most of whom were smokers, and they were flicking their butts in the river. PIssed me off:-{:-{. Here we were on this lovely river, floating through some of God's best country, and they are littering. I nagged them so much, they stopped and, aftern snuffing out the butts, stored them in a baggie. :-D

Almost got in a fistfight with a family from Kansas in a parking lot in Glacier National Park. I had just finished a wonderful hike along the Garden Wall and was loading up to leave. There was a big-ass RV parked next to me and the patriarch of the clan proceeds to empty his ashtray on the ground! :-c:-{:-@:-@

"Mister," says I. "Look around you. Does this place look like a garbage can?"

He told me to f*** off. His two boys start getting in my face. Fortunately a couple other hikers saw the hubbub and moved in behind me. Neither of my newly-found friends looked too scary and I don't think they were going to back me up if fists started flying. But their presence at least took a little starch out of the teenagers.

So they got back in their RV and left. I picked up the butts.
Not only that, but that is a *REAL* fire hazard.

Several of those really big-ass wildfires in California over the past few years were believed to have been touched off by discarded cigarette butts.

Crap like that is what is fast turning me into an anti-public place smoking nazi, despite my generally fairly strong libertarian leanings!

:-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@

Mike

Tresmo

Cyburbian
Drivers who refuse to see/acknowledge/accomodate bicyclists. Especially (oops, here goes) women on cell phones.

People on bicycles who want to be part of traffic but don't obey any traffic rules.

Seeing people on bikes weaving in and out of traffic stopped at a light or whereever trying to get to the front so they can go on through the red light drives me nuts.

Last edited:

btrage

Cyburbian
People who wave me through a 4-way stop when they were clearly there before me. I resent being used as a pawn in their "nice deed of the day" quest. As if somehow they're such a great person for letting me go first.

Often, when someone's at a 4-way stop before me and tries to wave me through, I'll just sit there and stare at them. Maybe I don't want to get to work any sooner. Ever thought of that jackass. :-{

Last edited:

mgk920

Cyburbian
People who wave me through a 4-way stop when they were clearly there before me. I resent being used as a pawn in their "nice deed of the day" quest. As if somehow there such a great person for letting me go first.

Often, when someone's at a 4-way stop before me and tries to wave me through, I'll just sit there and stare at them. Maybe I don't want to get to work any sooner. Ever thought of that jackass. :-{
That's a good reason why roundabouts are growing on me FAST for places that previously called for four-way stops. Everyone just goes unless someone is already in the circle.

Mike

[ot]The term originated with European colonists who occasionally made a point to give goodwill gifts to the native Americans when they first settled (and even later). Both European and native American cultures understood the gifts to be offerings intended to establish friendship, but trouble began when the differences in the concept of ownership emerged. In European cultures a gift implies a complete transfer of ownership from one entity to another. The native understanding, however, was that the gifts were pooled into a communal ownership to be shared by both peoples. The idea of some form of giving not being completely reciprical was completely foreign, as all property was communal for them. So great ill will was brought on in those instances when the natives came to use one the items they gave to the Europeans and were refused - in their view that was an unthinkable thing to do with a 'gift' and the Europeans saw this as wanting to 'take it back'. The term 'indian giver' persists as a reflection of this Eurocentric view of ownership even today.[/ot]

I've always related the term to the various Dawes Acts in the late 1800s. Therefore, I always thought it was a bad word. I was watching one of my favorite TV shows, CBS Sunday Morning, and they were discussing Mt. Rushmore and the Crazy Horse memorial. To make a long story short, the Sioux were offered X amount of dollars for the land that Mt. Rushmore was built upon as some sort of settlement and they turned it down. Most Native American culture does not have ownership of land as you stated above.

vagaplanner

Cyburbian
People that call me to ask a question, and then when they don't get the answer they want, they call someone else - usually the City Administrator - to see if they will get a different answer.:-@

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
People who call ostensibly to ask 'questions' about city codes, when in fact they really intend to file complaints about neighbors. C'mon, let's just abandon the civilized pretenses and git on with the bitchin' already!:r:

Veloise

Cyburbian
People that call me to ask a question, and then when they don't get the answer they want, they call someone else - usually the City Administrator - to see if they will get a different answer.:-@

Ah, the old "if mom says no, ask Grandma" ploy.

Talked with one of my contractors about a similar issue last week. He'd quote the person's comments, and I'd reply, "can we have ice cream?" Surely this must have gotten annoying after a while.

People who call ostensibly to ask 'questions' about city codes, when in fact they really intend to file complaints about neighbors. C'mon, let's just abandon the civilized pretenses and git on with the bitchin' already!:r:
Face it, guys, these are major gripes.

supernerdgirl

Cyburbian
just one thing off the top of my mind is when people chew with their mouth open. I had a roommate that did that and she almost drove me crazy. I was too nice to tell her to shut it up.

Habanero

Cyburbian
just one thing off the top of my mind is when people chew with their mouth open. I had a roommate that did that and she almost drove me crazy. I was too nice to tell her to shut it up.

Ah, that would drive me batty. I cannot stand eating noises, they make me gag, but that paired with open mouthed eating?! I'd leave the table.

Mastiff

Gunfighter

I was sitting at a light once, and in my mirror I saw a guy just drop a full BK bag of trash out his window! :-{ I jumped out of my car, grabbed it, and flung it right back into his window... where it came open and sent trash flying all over his car!

He was so stunned that I got back to my car and zipped through the light without him following me...

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We're flying to Key West on Sunday and have a loooooong layover in Orlando. So I can see the clueless parents becoming a pet peeve. I am sure everyone saw the story of the 300+ lb women and the 4 kids kicked off a Southwest Airlines flight last week. Every flyer's nightmare. If I saw a family like that proceeding down the aisle towards me, I'd scream and leave the plane. Unfortunately, out of control kids are all over the Orlando airport. So that will probably be my pet peeve in a week.

BTW, the funny thing is, most travel guides to the theme parks, like Disney World, discourage parents from bringing very small kids to the area. You get a family from up north, they want to spend 10-12 hrs a day in the parks, get the bang for the buck, the kids are tired, can't take it, have a meltdown. Parents get ticked, etc. Ugly.

natski

Cyburbian
People pushing in lines.

My family went and saw 'A Dark Knight' at the movies last night. Dad and mum arrived early to line up, and were front of the line. Other people lined up after them and it became a huge line.

So what do people do that turn up late and dont want to stand in the back of the line. Sit along the opposite wall to the line and the front door and push in when the doors are opened. Grr so rude for all the people that lined up for ages.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
People who don't use turn signals
People who don't know how to drive
Loud chewing
Liberals
Liars
Smart asses
Rap music
Indifference
People who don't think for themselves
People with a lack of morals/values/ethics
Playing the same song over and over and over again

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
People who make pets of their peeves. My are all free-range peeves. I've never peeved off the deck.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I was sitting at a light once, and in my mirror I saw a guy just drop a full BK bag of trash out his window! :-{ I jumped out of my car, grabbed it, and flung it right back into his window... where it came open and sent trash flying all over his car!

He was so stunned that I got back to my car and zipped through the light without him following me...

OMG, that is GREAT! I have always wanted to do that! I hate litterers.

Reminds me of a scene in a Carl Hiaasen novel (one of my favorites, can't remember the name right now).

H

Cyburbian
I am with dandy_warhol, "know-it-alls" irk me good (especially if they happen to not know jack) :-@

Last edited:
..."know-it-alls" irk me good (especially if they happen to not know jack) :-@
You know what often brings it to their attention? (And may even shut 'em up?)
Smile and say: "So... what's it like to be a genius?" :-D

(Ooops--hope this post doesn't sound know-it-all-ish.;-))

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
You know what often brings it to their attention? (And may even shut 'em up?)
Smile and say: "So... what's it like to be a genius?"

Yeah, folks say that to me all the time. That will show them....er....me..... :-$:-$:-$

Never mind.

Bear

;)

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
people that can't figure out how to park in my driveway!

I have a large driveway people. (How do I draw you a picture?) There are two driving lanes and a 15-20' wide section to the right to fit cars diagonally. So you can seriously fit 15 cars in my driveway comfortably where NO ONE has to move to let someone else out. It's a huge driveway, I'm telling you.
When people are coming, I even put our cars in the diagonal spots as examples!! 5 or 6 cars can fit there easily. Or one moron can somehow succeed in blocking the whole darn thing! Makes me so MAD!! :-@

end rant, thanks...

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
Two of my peeves: (1) The person who laughs at everything. Funny or not, no matter what context, everything someone says makes them laugh out loud. Not EVERYTHING is a joke. (2) The person who doesn't understand that they constantly use double entendres. Either I'm trying not to laugh, because they're not trying to be funny, or I'm trying not to be bothered because they are not trying to be inappropriate. They just can't hear what they are saying, or don't make the association. Best I can do is tell them that phrase will bother some people, so don't continue to use it. Tests my patience.

zman

Cyburbian
When you write a check to someone... and they take their sweet time to cash it. Now we balance our account and make room for the checks we write, but it is pisses me off when people don't deposit the damned check I write.
-We had a coworker of my wife that waited until about 3 checks were written to her and then after a month of stagnation, she told me wife: "I'm sorry, I really need to work on being better about this...." :r::-@
-We sent a check to our friend out of state who sends us Denver Broncos tickets when she cannot use them. This girl works in a bank!!! but still hasn't thought to deposit the check. :-{:-@

This is good money people, don't you want it?. From now on, you get 2 weeks, then I stop payment. :-@ Or, I'll just take the damn cash out.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
My boss perpetually misspelling or misaddressing letters to people. If you really want $5 million in funding don't you think you should take a few minutes to see that the request if a) going to the right person, b) that the person's name is spelled correctly.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
People who feel the need to address one of those Inter-Office Mail manilla envelopes with a Sharpie and huge block letters across the entire thing and then draw a big circle around it. :-{

Do they not see the pre-made lines and columns that tell you exactly what to write and where? I swear that these folks could probably get another few months out of these envelopes if they just stayed within the lines!

Spoonsticky

*rant*

people who control conversation without letting you speak (talk over you). nobody wants to hear your opinion 100% of the time, nor is your opinion that insightful and original even if you think you are awesome. Also, not everybody believes you when you tell your stories full of lies. No, I don't believe your cousin is in the Dropkick Murphys, your other cousin is on the Bruins, and that your uncle is a partner at the biggest lawfirm in the country. Also, we know you never clean the house EVER. Saying you are OCD does not mean you automatically make no mess. I don't even think you know what OCD is so stop saying that you are!!! I clean up after you all the time--if i didn't you would be perfectly content sitting in your own filth!

Also, I hate their girlfriends, too.--those girls who just sit there and eat every thing up the dumba$$ has to say as if it was coming from the mouth of Confucius himself. AND BELIEVE HIM!!!!! I hate submissive women! your beautiful, strong, and intelligent goddesses (well some of you ;-D). Have some respect for yourselves.

My girlfriend and I cant stand our roommate. Whenever we are in the living room with him we have to deal with him and it makes us very sullen and grumpy people. We end up looking like the bad guys when we confront him in a lie.

zman

Cyburbian
In the State of Colorado, renewal stickers for license plates are to be placed in the lower corners of the rear license plate; the month of renewal on the left and the year on the right. This is on 98% of the license plates seen on the road in the Centennial State, and is explicity displayed on the renewal documents, yet so many decide to place renewal stickers reversed and/or in the wrong corners. :s:;)

Veloise

Cyburbian
...renewal stickers for license plates ...reversed and/or in the wrong corners. :s:;)
My plate was wearing out and looking pretty crummy, so I jazzed it up by adding tabs (we got only one) in each corner. Then I started in on the blank space in the middle.
A (very young) cop pulled me over, late one night, to explain Offishul License Tab Placement Policy to me. I said was there any question about me not renewing. Let him know that the tabs are not repositionable.
Not sure why that would be a pet peeve of yours, Z?

I stumbled across a job posting for which I would be perfect, but I am not going to commute for an hour and change my community focus. It would not require relocation, but it would be pretty tough to accomplish anything when I'm digging in 60+ miles away.
(Put it up on the job openings thread so all y'all can appreciate it.)

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Why do people ask for help when they just want to do the entire thing themself? You're not fooling anyone. If you want to be in control then step up and say you want to be in control. :-@:-{:-@

Rygor

Cyburbian
People who let their dogs bark incessently yet STILL leave them outside, even at the buttcrack of dawn. I've been awakened two days in a row an hour before my alarm clock was supposed to go off because my neighbors thought it was a good idea to let their dog outside to bark at 6am. :-@

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I've been bothered more and more by "gross eaters." People who chew with their mouth open while talking non-stop. As far as I know there is no polite way to ask someone to eat in a less disgusting manner. +o(

Jazzman

Cyburbian
My pet peeves -

I can't stand it when people say "Pacific" when they mean "specific".

I can't stand it when people say "Missouruh" instead of "Missouri".

I can't stand it when people refer to something or someone as Chinese when it (or s/he) is really Japanese. Or Korean.

I can't stand it when my roommate plays jazz music. OH GOD I hate it so much. I freaking hate jazz. Yes, I know it's quite ironic considering what my username is, but my username has nothing to do with jazz music. That being said, I hate jazz music.

Speaking of my roommate, I also hate how he watches the Weather Channel all day. My cousin is a freaking metereologist who works for the National Weather Service, and I'm sure that he doesn't watch the TWC all day or even half of the time. He's a pretty regular guy, he pretty much watches the same kind of stuff everybody else does. What could possibly be so fascinating about the Weather Channel?

I hate when people stop their car in the middle of the street just to have a conversation with someone walking by or in another car.

I hate it when people exhibit ignorant, boorish behavior and think that it's cool.

I'm sure that I'll think of some more..............

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
What do you think off a co-worker who nuke/heat ups a 2 day old brain sandwich ?
:r: +o( :victory:

jsk1983

Cyburbian
When you write a check to someone... and they take their sweet time to cash it. Now we balance our account and make room for the checks we write, but it is pisses me off when people don't deposit the damned check I write.
-We had a coworker of my wife that waited until about 3 checks were written to her and then after a month of stagnation, she told me wife: "I'm sorry, I really need to work on being better about this...." :r::-@
-We sent a check to our friend out of state who sends us Denver Broncos tickets when she cannot use them. This girl works in a bank!!! but still hasn't thought to deposit the check. :-{:-@

This is good money people, don't you want it?. From now on, you get 2 weeks, then I stop payment. :-@ Or, I'll just take the damn cash out.

Now that I moved I find visiting my bank to be rather time consuming. I have a few little checks here that I need to cash but I think it's less than $15 so I haven't had the motivation yet. If both of you have a Paypal account you can send the money that way. Paypal does take a fee out but as long as the amount isn't too large it's probably worth it.