• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Let it out...what are your pet peeves...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Whenever you take the time to find a nice old thread to bump up... and then your post is ignored.

See, if you'd bumped it with a post about brain sandwiches you wouldn't have that problem.:D

Rygor

Cyburbian
Panda Bears are one of my pet peeves. I mean, the damn things are endangered and yet the few that are there in captivity take YEARS to reproduce, and that's if you can even get Ling Ling and Ping Pong to even notice each other within the same cage. :r: They subsist on only one single species for their dietary needs that is only found in one place and in increasingly more limited habitats. I mean, WHY do they still even EXIST? Pandas piss me off. :-@

Veloise

Cyburbian
Panda Bears are one of my pet peeves. I mean, the damn things are endangered and yet the few that are there in captivity take YEARS to reproduce, and that's if you can even get Ling Ling and Ping Pong to even notice each other within the same cage. :r: They subsist on only one single species for their dietary needs that is only found in one place and in increasingly more limited habitats. I mean, WHY do they still even EXIST? Pandas piss me off. :-@

[youtube]Krluc-wXbOQ[/youtube]

zman

Cyburbian
Now that I moved I find visiting my bank to be rather time consuming. I have a few little checks here that I need to cash but I think it's less than $15 so I haven't had the motivation yet. If both of you have a Paypal account you can send the money that way. Paypal does take a fee out but as long as the amount isn't too large it's probably worth it.

CASH THE DARN CHECKS ALREADY!!!!!

CONFOUND PAYPAL AND THE WIRE SERVICE TO WHICH IT IS ATTACHED!!!!

(with a wholehearted ;) added to dull the effects of this post. But seriously, cash the checks...)

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
I'm opposed to the whole idea of pet peeves. I think that the peeves should be left to run free and wild in their natural environment.

Planit

Cyburbian
I'm opposed to the whole idea of pet peeves. I think that the peeves should be left to run free and wild in their natural environment.

They aren't an endangered species and several that I have been exposed to are not domesticated either. Here, Here, ofos!!!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
They aren't an endangered species and several that I have been exposed to are not domesticated either. Here, Here, ofos!!!

I thought it was open season and you did not need a license. :r: ;) :p

jsk1983

Cyburbian
CASH THE DARN CHECKS ALREADY!!!!!

CONFOUND PAYPAL AND THE WIRE SERVICE TO WHICH IT IS ATTACHED!!!!

(with a wholehearted ;) added to dull the effects of this post. But seriously, cash the checks...)

They're in my wallet. One's from my old landlord for less than a dollar the other's for $12.99 from something I sold on Ebay. I don't have a car and it's two bus rides away or a few mile bike ride. Unfortunately it's been pretty rainy this week so I'm not going to get myself soaked for $14.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian

I thought it was open season and you did not need a license. :r: ;) :p

It's open season on the Eastern Peeves, Pevis Yankus, which have overpopulated their environment due to the near extinction of their natural predatory cousins, the Southern Peeves, Pevis Redneckus . Let us not even speak of the plight of the Western Peeves, Pevis Leftis Coastus, struggling to survive on a diet of avocado laced fruits, nuts, and flakes. But how about those Canadian Peeves, eh?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
It's open season on the Eastern Peeves, Pevis Yankus, which have overpopulated their environment due to the near extinction of their natural predatory cousins, the Southern Peeves, Pevis Redneckus . Let us not even speak of the plight of the Western Peeves, Pevis Leftis Coastus, struggling to survive on a diet of avocado laced fruits, nuts, and flakes. But how about those Canadian Peeves, eh?

Don't forget the numerous and loud Pevis Nascarus,

Last edited:

zman

Cyburbian
[snip] One's from my old landlord for less than a dollar [snip] .

Another Pet Peeve:

People who write checks for less than $1.

[ot]
I don't have a car and it's two bus rides away or a few mile bike ride. Unfortunately it's been pretty rainy this week so I'm not going to get myself soaked for $14

URBANISTS: See how the car-free lifestyle hampers people? ;) [/ot]

Just bustin' your chops today, Friend.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Testy mods

On another forum I frequent, looks like anything I post is being flagged for a "is not!" type of response. Looks like the head mod forgot to take his graciousness pills this month.

"Stop changing the topic!" Um, not me.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Another Pet Peeve:

People who write checks for less than $1.

[ot]

URBANISTS: See how the car-free lifestyle hampers people? ;) [/ot]

Just bustin' your chops today, Friend.

The check for less than a dollar was interest on pre-paid rent. I chose my bank because it was across the street from my old apartment. Probably time to close out that account and find a bank closer to home.

boilerplater

Cyburbian
Neighbors who complain about my tenants. My tenants are adults who are responsible for themselves. They are not my kids, employees or slaves. I have no control over their behaviour. You wouldn't call the mortgage company that has the mortgage on your neighbor's house if he was bothering you, right? Its a civil matter. The neighbors have my email and phone number, unfortunately. I never intended to be an absentee landlord. Its something the economy put in my lap.

SGB

Cyburbian
pet peeve: literal edition

Our dog has developed a habit of jumping on me in our bed in the morning when it hears my alarm clocks (yes, plural) go off.

How's a guy supposed to enjoy the 6.5 minutes between alarms (thank you, snooze button) with a hyper b!tch jumping all over me?

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
How's a guy supposed to enjoy the 6.5 minutes between alarms (thank you, snooze button) with a hyper b!tch jumping all over me?

I always enjoyed quickies, maybe you need to find a new b*tch?

Woolley

Cyburbian
giving people advice but they are to ignorant to even notice.

Person 1: oh we just exported our ArcGIS map into a jpg.

Me Hmm, you should save it as EPS if you want to print it, much better quality

Person 2: oh, he is a graphics designer, he knows what he is doing (smug look) well obviously not a very good one if he thinks jpg is the way to go

Idiot, try hard want too bees esp. when I like helping people!

:)

Veloise

Cyburbian
Credit reports

Due to a pending $$$ home improvement, I pulled mine up. WHAT?!? Three different aliases, countless misspellings of the two names that are mine. Three different Soc #. A spouse?!? (Sheesh, if he's that close to my wallet, you'd better introduce us.) A couple addresses in towns where I have never lived, several strange phone numbers.

Turns out that [same first name] has a Soc # just a couple digits different from mine, so the infallible computers connected us (and him).

Lenders and sellers rely on this shoddy work for important financial decisions. But the onus is on the consumer to check it, and persuade the credit companies to fix it. I feel bad for her (and him) if they try to obtain something major anytime soon; the "corrected" report even contains a list of the times I viewed it.

zman

Cyburbian
When people use the term "Must be nice..." Case in point: I told someone at lunch that I may get some free time at work this afternoon after I finish updating the zoning map so I might study for my CDL Snowplow endorsement. To which they responded "Must be nice...".

What is nice? That I have free time at work and you don't? I don't get it.
Man, that really chaps my ass. :-@ It seems to me to be a defeatist attitude, sort of a "woe is me, my life sucks" kind of thing.

You know what else really burns me? When you take a paper towel from the roll and it doesn't detach in one piece, rather you get most of it, except a dwindling one-inch strip. This grinds my gears so much that I often stop and tear off pieces until it (the roll, mind you: not me... I have nothing to do with this... ;)) gets it right.

imaplanner

Cyburbian
What is nice? That I have free time at work and you don't? I don't get it.
Man, that really chaps my ass. :-@ It seems to me to be a defeatist attitude, sort of a "woe is me, my life sucks" kind of thing.

You know what really gets me? When people use the term "chaps my ass". What the heck does that even mean? That your butt hurts? Man that really grinds my gears;)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
And what does "grinds my gears" mean, anyway? Does that mean you didn't use the clutch on the manual transmission? That pisses me off. ;)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
You know what really gets me? When people use the term "chaps my ass". What the heck does that even mean? That your butt hurts? Man that really grinds my gears;)
"grinds my gears"....blech...stupid phrase. :D

zman

Cyburbian
Another thing that tans my hide is when people don't just nod and agree when I say something. Instead I deal with people who think that they can speak when when not asked....

....aaaaaaaaaaaaand I need to get home and drink whiskey.

And what does "grinds my gears" mean, anyway? Does that mean you didn't use the clutch on the manual transmission? That pisses me off. ;)
"grinds my gears"....blech...stupid phrase. :D
:eek:|
I re-sent that, Sonny!

Signed,
mymotherthecar.jpg

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Two weeks ago, I received a call at 2:30 pm that my appointment for heating system maintenance, scheduled for "between 1 pm and 3 pm," would have to be rescheduled because the technician called in sick. They couldn't tell me that before 1:00? :-{

So, they rescheduled the appointment for today, "between 11 am and 1 pm." I'm on a conference call at 9 am when I hear someone downstairs knocking on the door. . . I don't want to interrupt my conversation so I ignore it. Finally the technician calls me on my home phone and I put my caller on hold. "Yeah, uh, we're here for the service call?" I have to explain that I'm on a conference call that I have to get back to, and anyway I was told he was coming at 11. :-@

What if I'd been away at work and planned on coming home for the appointment at 11 am? Being nearly 2 hours early and being late are equally inconvenient.

We'll see if he comes back.

mgk920

Cyburbian
Drivers who stop at YIELD signs when there is no conflicting traffic, especially at roundabouts.

:-@

Mike

Veloise

Cyburbian
How did you make it to age 53?

A friend pulls the "helpless" routine as a lifestyle choice. I experienced several hours of this yesterday on a long car drive.

--Roundabouts, "scary." Can't figure them out. What lane should I be in and who stops or yields? "Traffic's coming in all directions."
Everyone travels CCW, you could just stay in the right lane. Practice.
"I'd rather avoid those streets."
ETA: the subject is not a Cyburbian.

--Nearby parking. Can't find a rock star space close to an old building DT. "I guess I wasn't meant to attend. I drove around and around the block, went home." Yesterday's jaunt: a two-hour (each way) drive to a very similar event.

--Social exclusion. Again and again I've heard about how rude and unwelcoming the existing participants were at this one event. Well, you arrived late, as others were leaving, and you set up across the room from the remaining group. If you wanted to feel included, you could have greeted folks, or asked someone to announce your presence. "But they turned their backs on me!"

--Highway detour. A freeway on-ramp was closed, and detours were clearly posted. This resulted in no additional time nor distance, but panic at the level of a major flu outbreak or a terrorist attack.

--Traffic, public performance, learning a new tune, selecting an item from a fast food wall, finding a highway exit, fitting items into a vehicle...

The irony is: I'm just a few months younger, and haven't married, raised kids, owned several houses, etc. You'd think that major life experiences would have provided some measure of training or stress acclimatization.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
A pet peeve which has been annoying me recently is when news headlines use the term "Granny" to make stories more interesting. For example, "Robber Thwarted by Granny with Baseball Bat." Usually when you read the story the Granny is 50 years old and isn't the frail old lady you're picturing.

Gotta Speakup

Cyburbian
People who double park when where is an open space nearby. This may make me want to bring the death penalty back!

Plus drivers who block cross walks. ah ah ah ah ah ah ah.

DVD

Cyburbian
The guy that turns left the second the light changes to green. Nothing like risking an accident to save a couple minutes.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Bosses who think employees shouldn't be able to use their sick leave.

Employees who use their sick leave as unscheduled vacation time without regard to their co-workers work loads and who make project scheduling impossible for their supervisors.

imaplanner

Cyburbian
Don't worry ofos. Once the republicans take over again sick time will be outlawed. You will be able to make your employees work 12 hours a day with no lunch breaks. If they get sick- you can fire them.

Edit added: Sorry ofos. No personal attack meant. I'm just unusually cranky today.

Last edited:

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
It bugs me when people sing the "Star-Spangled Banner" and pronounce "glare" as "guh-lare" or "gah-lare". It's a dumb point to get hung up on, especially since most "Star-Spangled Banner" singers these days fail miserably trying to sing it in R&B or gospel styling (you have to have masterful control of phrasing to be able to sing in such a style and actually sound good).

Seabishop

Cyburbian
It bugs me when people sing the "Star-Spangled Banner" and pronounce "glare" as "guh-lare" or "gah-lare". It's a dumb point to get hung up on, especially since most "Star-Spangled Banner" singers these days fail miserably trying to sing it in R&B or gospel styling (you have to have masterful control of phrasing to be able to sing in such a style and actually sound good).

Here it would be the "Stah Spangled Bannuh." :-$

btrage

Cyburbian
People who let there political viewpoints come through in every discussion they have or in every internet forum post they make. We (as in the royal "we", you know, the editorial) don't really care all that much.

Queen B

Cyburbian
People driving on my road in the morning. I drive toward the bedroom community in the morning. Most mornings there is no one on my side of the road. When they are they never keep a decent speed.

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
People perverting things (including selective analysis) that supposed to be sacred or serious for their own self-interests or comfort. This is especially heinous to me in Evangelical Protestant circles, because we already get a huge amount of (sadly) ridiculously accurate crap for hypocrisy to begin with. As Brennan Manning said, "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, then walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable." (I'd replace "atheism" in the quote with "people leaving and/or not entering Christianity", though. Then the statement is more accurate.)

I don't mind them perverting things in the name of humor, though! :p

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
People who let there political viewpoints come through in every discussion they have or in every internet forum post they make. We (as in the royal "we", you know, the editorial) don't really care all that much.

On one message board I belong to, some users have the annoying habit of being barely able type a sentence without mentioning that they're an atheist. If there's a threads about some upcoming religious holiday, they'll always interject that it's pointless and foolish, because "there is no God."

mgk920

Cyburbian
People perverting things (including selective analysis) that supposed to be sacred or serious for their own self-interests or comfort. This is especially heinous to me in Evangelical Protestant circles, because we already get a huge amount of (sadly) ridiculously accurate crap for hypocrisy to begin with. As Brennan Manning said, "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, then walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable." (I'd replace "atheism" in the quote with "people leaving and/or not entering Christianity", though. Then the statement is more accurate.)

I don't mind them perverting things in the name of humor, though! :p
I side note on that it that I always get chuckles out of those Protestants, especially the Hellfire and Brimstone and/or Evangelical types, who have conveniently forgotten that Martin Luther himself often extolled the virtues of good beer.

:b::D:b:

Mike

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
I side note on that it that I always get chuckles out of those Protestants, especially the Hellfire and Brimstone and/or Evangelical types, who have conveniently forgotten that Martin Luther himself often extolled the virtues of good beer.

:b::D:b:

Mike

Even the Puritans considered wine and ale as "gifts from God"! They didn't allow people to toast each other because it wasted those gifts. :p

wahday

Cyburbian
The humble Facebook brag. I now only look at my feed once a week. Maybe. Its entirely full of either links to articles or people saying things like “fell off my gluten free diet this morning by eating a miniscule piece of toast. But at least I ran 46 miles yesterday!” I know, your life is way better than mine, you self-righteous slug.

Also, the recent flood of “articles” by people on such worldly topics as raising children or marriage who have only been married 3 years or have a 5 month old. Really? How much wisdom can you have at that point?

Speeding in residential areas

In appropriate use of the word “literally.” I actually heard someone say last week that “I was ‘literally’ waiting for the guy for like 17 hours – he said he would be there at 2 and didn’t show up til 4!” Um…

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Yogurt commercials. Why are they more feminine than even maxi pad commercials? I feel like I shouldn't be eating yogurt because I am not a woman on-the-go who's in love with John Stamos.