• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Let it out...what are your pet peeves...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Yogurt commercials. Why are they more feminine than even maxi pad commercials? I feel like I shouldn't be eating yogurt because I am not a woman on-the-go who's in love with John Stamos.

Post of the day!!!!!:lmao:

wahday

Cyburbian
Yogurt commercials. Why are they more feminine than even maxi pad commercials? I feel like I shouldn't be eating yogurt because I am not a woman who can't go and is in love with John Stamos.

There, an additional fix. And thanks to Jamie Lee Curtis, I now have to imagine constipated Baby Boomers eating what amounts to baby food on the can…

mgk920

Cyburbian
Also, those (so-called) Christians who seem to have conveniently forgotten the lessons of Matthew 7:1-2. (Look it up.)

:r:

Mike

AG74683

Cyburbian
The word "irregardless". It seems incredibly common here, and it drives me INSANE.

Planit

Cyburbian
The word "irregardless". It seems incredibly common here, and it drives me INSANE.

Me too & my mom uses it all the time.

And you wonder why your cable bill is so high..
Robert Marcus took over as CEO of Time Warner Cable in January. Six weeks later, the company was sold to Comcast. When the deal goes through, Marcus will receive $80 million, "a severance payment that amounts to more than $1 million a day in compensation for the less than two months he ran the company."

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Real estate agencies who feel that their requests are more important than anything else on your to-do list.

dw914er

Cyburbian
And you wonder why your cable bill is so high..
Robert Marcus took over as CEO of Time Warner Cable in January. Six weeks later, the company was sold to Comcast. When the deal goes through, Marcus will receive $80 million, "a severance payment that amounts to more than $1 million a day in compensation for the less than two months he ran the company."

:-c

That would be nice...

AG74683

Cyburbian
Real estate agencies who feel that their requests are more important than anything else on your to-do list.

Along that same line...people who start doing things before coming to check the zoning. When there are problems or hang ups get impatient with the procedure.

EDIT*

Oh, another one for today. People who use other town or county ordinances to try and prove a point. "Well town XYZ allows it!! Why don't you?!"

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Condescending people in the planning & zoning department of a nearby locality who think that just because I don't have the state PP license that I don't know jack about planning.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Along that same line...people who start doing things before coming to check the zoning. When there are problems or hang ups get impatient with the procedure.

EDIT*

Oh, another one for today. People who use other town or county ordinances to try and prove a point. "Well town XYZ allows it!! Why don't you?!"

That has only happened twice... this week... in the same community.

Mastiff

Gunfighter

...and leave six messages spaced 15 minutes apart but still don't give up until you answer. I always tell them I have to look it up, and call them back in a week.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
People who don't know if they are in a Town/ Village/ County agency. I understand that planners probably are more familiar than most, but come on, people! If you're standing in front of the Town Hall SIGN, don't ask for the Village office. It's not here!

otterpop

Cyburbian
I don't know if this is prevalent elsewhere but here (Montana) people don't know how to establish a proper service line. Whether it is a bank, restaurant or other business offering customer service, people around here: 1) Tend to stand about five feet apart (I call it the Montana line) and 2) do not like to form a recognizable line. They just stand around. I come in and I don't know who is ahead of me and I am concerned that people coming after me are going to get waited on before me in the service chaos. You really shouldn't have to ask someone if they've already been waited on.

I went into Dairy Queen today at noon and the store was full of high schoolers - just a big knot of kids. Absolute chaos. No line whatsoever. I left and used the drive-thru which was pretty long, but at least with cars, there is a discernible line and order.

A well-organized society needs people to go inside, form an actual line (one person behind the other and not five feet apart) and, after being waited on, to step aside and wait for their food order. People milling around in the cash register area pisses me off. If businesses are having trouble getting people to form service lines, then they should get sheep or cattle dogs to keep order.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Speaking for lines, I hate it when people line up to get on busses.

You would rather everyone just push and shove their way in the door? I guess maybe burly bruisers like you might favor that approach :win:

Pet Peeve

Her cat always wears the same color coat as mine!

dwq6ox.jpg

ONE OF US HAS TO GO.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Catheter commercials EVERYWHERE.

[youtube]h1Gc7sOdk30[/youtube]

They're all at a 4:3 aspect ratio, too, so their target market can see them on their trusty Philco and Sylvania consoles.

otterpop

Cyburbian

I used to work with this woman (she was a total bitch) and she really hated the word "irregardless," so I never missed the chance to slip it into conversation whenever she was within earshot. Just to piss her off.

Passive-aggressive a$$holery - it's one of my skill sets. Irregardless of my many otherwise sterling qualtities.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I used to work with this woman (she was a total bitch) and she really hated the word "irregardless," so I never missed the chance to slip it into conversation whenever she was within earshot. Just to piss her off.

Passive-aggressive a$$holery - it's one of my skill sets. Irregardless of my many otherwise sterling qualities.
It's great that you're able to utilize said skill.

:D

otterpop

Cyburbian
Pet peeve for today - People who crush your hand when they shake it. I know we've been taught that a firm handshake shows good character and a weak handshake doesn't make a good impression.

BUT leaving my pinky aching for the next hour definitely does not make a good impression.

BTW, what also didn't leave a good impression - copping an attitude because you want staff to get back to you over the weekend because you say you work seven days a week and County workers don't work weekends. I am not impressed. You work seven days a week? That is just stupid. Even if you have the most awesome job in the world, you should take a day off every week. And you don't have the most awesome job in the world.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pet peeve for today - People who crush your hand when they shake it. I know we've been taught that a firm handshake shows good character and a weak handshake doesn't make a good impression.

BUT leaving my pinky aching for the next hour definitely does not make a good impression.

On the flip side....the limp, droopy wrist handshake. I cringe every time. And yes, I judge them.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
People who speed in the parking lots of my apartment complex. I finally pulled out and blocked the lane and told the guy to slow down.