• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Let's hope he's not also a history teacher

moose

There's probably more to the story than what's in this article, but why condemn the playing of German music but not that of Japan? They were on the same team during WWII, and comitting similar atrocities prior to WWII.

Cirrus

Cyburbian
I'm not familiar with that exact piece, but a lot of German nationalist music is perfect for marching band openers. They must have started with the German song. If they had started with songs from the allied side and then moved to Germany and Japan it probably would have been obvious what they were doing, and wouldn't have caused such a stir.

El Feo

Cyburbian
What a moron

But if you think about it, it's far from the first time somebody from Paris hoisted a Nazi flag.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Re: What a moron

El Feo said:
But if you think about it, it's far from the first time somebody from Paris hoisted a Nazi flag.

Ouch! LMFAO. I guess some people are just born without common sense.

SGB

Cyburbian
I trust he doesn't teach comparative religion either

From a follow-up article:

"The Nazi flag was part of that show and when it was shown, fans at Hillcrest, an old Jewish community in the Dallas area, were outraged.

What upset the Hillcrest fans was the fact that Paris High brought the swastika flag of Nazi Germany into their Franklin Stadium during Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New’s Year’s Day and their day of remembrance."

Cardinal

Cyburbian
This is really amazing. None of the students raised an objection - they actually found somebody to unquestioningly carry a Nazi flag onto the field? Nobody at the school observed the band practicing and questioned the selection of the Nazi anthem? Heads should roll.