• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Let's make each other feel old

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The movie Napolean Dynamite was released 16 years ago. People born when this movie came out are now applying for drivers licenses.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Actually, in general... there are so many movies these days that are remakes of earlier ones: Like I Am Legend (2007) is a remake of Omega Man (1971) is a remake of The Last Man On Earth (1964) is an adaptation of the the novel I Am Legend (1954). Geez.... and even I Am Legend is 12 years old already!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Actually, in general... there are so many movies these days that are remakes of earlier ones: Like I Am Legend (2007) is a remake of Omega Man (1971) is a remake of The Last Man On Earth (1964) is an adaptation of the the novel I Am Legend (1954). Geez.... and even I Am Legend is 12 years old already!
You mention Planet of the Apes which originally was released in 1968, but the Tim Burton remake was released in 2001. Folks that were born when the remake was released are old enough to serve in the armed forces and vote.

Here's another one: the same interval of time has passed since 9/11 and today as had passed between the death of Leonid Brezhnev in 1982 and 9/11.

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Remember when you had a couple of quarters in your pocket just in case you needed to make a phone call when you were out.

Or the complexity of long distance phone calls on a rotary phone.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Remember when you had a couple of quarters in your pocket just in case you needed to make a phone call when you were out.

Or the complexity of long distance phone calls on a rotary phone.
Are you old (or cheap) enough to remember your parents or grandparents going through machinations to avoid paying for a long distance call? Whenever my parents would visit their parents out of town and vice versa, they would 'call' to let the other party know that they arrived home safely. The call signal was to let the phone ring a single time. The other party wouldn't pick up so as to avoid incurring a long distance charge.

Long distance charges were variable based on the distance zone and the time of the day. Calling on Sunday afternoons, I recall, was considerably cheaper than weekday rates. If you had a long distance call to, say, some relative in some faraway place like Florida, mom and dad would summon the chilluns and hand us each the phone for approximately three seconds - long enough to say "hi, aunt Lil. Here's my brother." who would then say "hi and bye" in the same sentence and hand the phone back to mom and dad. But yeah, dialing a different area code was something of a household event when it occurred. Preparations had to be made, and mom or dad would usually issue a stern announcement beforehand that they would be making a long distance call and to please not disturb them and/or incur greater cost with any childish interruptions.

kms

Cyburbian
Are you old (or cheap) enough to remember your parents or grandparents going through machinations to avoid paying for a long distance call? Whenever my parents would visit their parents out of town and vice versa, they would 'call' to let the other party know that they arrived home safely. The call signal was to let the phone ring a single time. The other party wouldn't pick up so as to avoid incurring a long distance charge.

Long distance charges were variable based on the distance zone and the time of the day. Calling on Sunday afternoons, I recall, was considerably cheaper than weekday rates. If you had a long distance call to, say, some relative in some faraway place like Florida, mom and dad would summon the chilluns and hand us each the phone for approximately three seconds - long enough to say "hi, aunt Lil. Here's my brother." who would then say "hi and bye" in the same sentence and hand the phone back to mom and dad. But yeah, dialing a different area code was something of a household event when it occurred. Preparations had to be made, and mom or dad would usually issue a stern announcement beforehand that they would be making a long distance call and to please not disturb them and/or incur greater cost with any childish interruptions.
I remember talking to people on multiple extensions, or sharing the same phone receiver. I have two friends who do that now, and they live nearby.

My dad’s brother and his wife talked on two phones at the same time. I found it a bit distracting then, but looking back, it was pretty nice.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The first episode of the Sopranos is old enough to buy alcohol in the US.

For us "young" Generation Xers, there's now two generations after than us - Millennials and Generation Z.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
If you have a Lifetime Senior Pass through the
The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass Series

And your AARP membership card & used it for discounts.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
You know who Michael Knight and B. A. Baracus are. More so neither of them have been on TV in over 30 years... (well expect for the crappy movies and spin off attempt)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Anyone still recognize betamax?

Anyone still use Betamax? I don't even think pros use BetaCam now.

vBulletin 3 and 4 got end-of-life status on December 28, 2017. A lot of message boards still use vBulletin 3. vBulletin 3 was released in 2004, 16 years ago.

Windows XP came out a little over 18 years ago. MacOS is going on 19 years old. It's based on NeXTstep, which is 30 years old.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
We explained to the 8 year old how you used to access the internet over a phone line. She asked us what a phone line was :oops:

1990 was 30 years ago.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
If I remember correctly, in the mid 1980s a standard candy bar (Milky Way) was about 40 cents each.

DVD

Cyburbian
There was no king size or fun size candy bar. There was just a candy bar and that's the way I liked it!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
You remember this sound when you booted up Gateway 2000.

And that was a major upgrade from the Tandy.
Which was as a major upgrade from the electric typewriter.
Which was a major upgrade from this sound...

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Queen - A Night At The Opera was released in November 1975.
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run was released in August 1975.
Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic was released in April 1975.
Led Zeppelin's - Physical Graffiti was released in February 1975

I was 18 in 1975.

Planit

Cyburbian
Queen - A Night At The Opera was released in November 1975.
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run was released in August 1975.
Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic was released in April 1975.
Led Zeppelin's - Physical Graffiti was released in February 1975

I was 18 in 1975.

I started HS in 1975.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I was raised in the wrong musical era. I got stuck with Baby Got Back - released in 1992.
Yeah. JNA was born at the perfect time. I am five years younger, but I have a brother his age and an uncle who went to Woodstock, so I grew up with this stuff.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
How about this: the playlist on most classic rock radio stations focuses on music from 1965 to 1985. That's 35 to 55 years ago. A lot of the old classic rock stations still exist, with their playlists frozen in the mid-1980s.

97_rock.jpg

(97 Rock is still around, and their playlist hasn't changed since 1985.)

When I was in high school, playlists of "music of your life" stations focused on music from 1935 to 1955. In 1980, my freshman year, the songs from crooners and big bands that I thought sounded "old timey" was 25 to 45 years old.

lawrence_welk.jpg

Basically, this is more old fashioned to today's youth and young adults ...

Than this was to us early Generation Xers.

By the way, I found a ticket stub for that Par Benatar concert online.

images.jpg

Harvey and Corky was a local concert promoter that got its start in a rented house a few blocks away from where I grew up. The "Harvey" is Harvey Weinstein. Yes, that Harvey Weinstein.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
You know who Michael Knight and B. A. Baracus are. More so neither of them have been on TV in over 30 years... (well expect for the crappy movies and spin off attempt)

In the 1970s, TV stations aired 20-year old reruns of Leave it to Beaver and I Love Lucy reruns all the time.

In the 1990s, TV stations aired 20-year old reruns of M*A*S*H all the time.

Today, TV stations air 20-year old reruns of Friends and Law and Order all the time.

Also, the first episode of Two and Half Men aired 17 years ago. The first episode of South Park aired 23 years ago. Family Guy? 21 years ago. People are still obsessed with Firefly, which was on for only one season, 18 years ago.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
How about this: the playlist on most classic rock radio stations focuses on music from 1965 to 1985. That's 35 to 55 years ago. A lot of the old classic rock stations still exist, with their playlists frozen in the mid-1980s.

View attachment 47853
(97 Rock is still around, and their playlist hasn't changed since 1985.)
When I was in high school, playlists of "music of your life" stations focused on music from 1935 to 1955. In 1980, my freshman year, the songs from crooners and big bands that I thought sounded "old timey" was 25 to 45 years old.
View attachment 47855
Basically, this is more old fashioned to today's youth and young adults ...
Than this was to us early Generation Xers.
I think the thing to consider when talking about "Music of Your Life" oldies to "Led Zeppelin" oldies is that Elvis changed it all. There was a revolution in music in the mid-to-late 1950s that, over the span of a decade, all but killed of big bands, jazz standards and crooners. Since then everything has been rock and roll. The next big revolution was rap and hip-hop but it didn't have the same effect on contemporary music that rock had.... at least not yet.

So when you talk about Lawrence Welk, you're looking at a different epoch musically. Classic Rock is still Rock and Rock is still a contemporary music form.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
How about this ... early MTV, from 37 years ago, around the same time the oldest Millennials were born.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I miss when MTV actually played music videos.
I do too. The foreign MTV channels still play music videos, though. There’s a bunch of different MTV channels that we don’t get on our cable system that are still music-oriented, like MTV-U and Classic.

VH1 is the weird one. It used to be the grown-up sister channel of MTV — more for the younger Boomers than the older Xers.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Oh my god! Purple Haze is 53 years old! That stupid "Potato Potahto" Gershwin song was more current in 1967 compared to Purple Haze now.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
How about this ... early MTV, from 37 years ago, around the same time the oldest Millennials were born.

Haha there is a Greatest Hits album/tape collection commercial starting at 2:16 featuring Anne Murry, Dr. Hook, America, Christopher Cross, Air Supply, and Linda Ronstadt.