• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Let's Play a Game

Jeff

Cyburbian
OK here's the deal....

If you were given the position of "City Revitalizer" how would you do it? This is in reference to an article in the Philadelphia Daily News today (which I've linked below). As I'm sure most of you know, Philly is a city that has been in decline since the 50s, losing population, declining city services, corruption in gov't, city wage tax, acres of slums, and vacant houses. etc

Then there are people like me who love this city, and can't stand to see it flounder like it is.

If you were put in charge of revitalizig the city (endless budget, but NO monorail) how would you do it?

I've been pondering this issue all morning, and I'm not quite sure. I'm going to post some of my ideas later today and tomorrow.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/4459868.htm

Mike, the commercials with the "reality fairy" for young person retention in the state of PA just aren't cutting it?

Jeff

Cyburbian
There is no young person retention. That's the problem. I was thinking some full-blown marketing campaign. Baltimore gives you money for moving back to the city, maybe I could do that.

BKM

Cyburbian
I've only been to Philadelphia once, but I still have fond memories of how I was treated. A gypsy cab driver pair-an Archie Bunker and his Jamaican? wife!! "adopted me" for two days. They drove me around the city for cheap-she bought me lunch-introduced me to her daughter. Fantastic people!

Love the architectural character of the town, too.

"Good Luck!"

ANYWAY:

Cincinatti waives property taxes for ten years when you buy a home in the city.

How about that Georgist Land Tax that Pittsburgh tried. It SOUNDS interesting. Haven't read much detail about it. It works by taxing land value only, not improvements. Thus, vVacant land is usually taxed higher in relation to its value than an improved property. It theoretically gives a disincentive to sitting on vacant urban property.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It is going to be very hard to do anything without a monorail. Still:

1) Focus on building strong neighborhoods. Identify areas of the city that could be prime for rejuvination - housing and shopping in particular. Invest in upgrading infrastructure, services, parks, schools, police protection, etc. Create programs for home improvement, turn over vacant buildings and lots. Do PR and use programs to bring in new residents. As these neighborhoods recover, expand to new ones.

2) Ensure a vital downtown. It is the heart of the city, the thing everyone recognizes. Make it healthy and vibrant.

3) Invest in good-paying jobs for the next economy. This is business attraction and retention, work force development, sites and buildings, industry cluster strategies, etc. Go tech - telecommunications infrastructure and e-business (and corresponding skills).

4) Create a brand. Market an image of the city - tie it to tourism, economic development marketing, attracting new residents.

5) It all has to be tied together - housing, retail, services, industry, tourism, government, infrastructure, parks, schools.... It is bigger than one thing, including even "the big picture."

6) Hire me to put it all together. Now that would be a rewarding challenge.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Mike DeVuono said:
OK here's the deal....

If you were given the position of "City Revitalizer" how would you do it?
More C-4, a la W. Wilson Goode...

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Michael Stumpf said:

4) Create a brand. Market an image of the city - tie it to tourism, economic development marketing, attracting new residents.

How does one do that?

Jeff

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Let's Play a Game

Mastiff said:

More C-4, a la W. Wilson Goode...
I've been saying that for years. We are actually attmepting to get the smae result, however, with a bulldozer instead of the explosives.

Blocks and blocks of ghetto are being torn down, with the idea that we are going to get some developers in here to rebuild the neighborhoods.

The problem as I see it. These houses will be affordable to middle-class and up only. However, what middle-class people want to move into a neighborhood where you still have crack dealers hanging out on the corners shooting each other only 3 blocks away.

You see, we can't knock down the houses that aren't vacant. And we can't relocate the scumbags who live in these neighborhoods. So I feel you are never going to be able to revitalize these neighborhoods.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Barriers...

I think for it to work, you have to have barriers, either natural or imposed. A large parkway... manmade. A river... natural. It's the divide and conquer method. Instead of having "west Philly", you have the "Penn Campus" area, and keep creating new smaller sections as you work your way out.

Where do the scum go? Jersey, of course...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
giff57 said:

How does one do that?
It is one of the emerging hot topics in economic development. "City Branding" has been done by many communities, some deliberately, and some playing off of exusting themes. Think of cities like Seattle, which project an image. One small city that always sticks in my mind is "Positively Pewaukee." A great catch phrase.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Michael Stumpf said:

It is one of the emerging hot topics in economic development. "City Branding" has been done by many communities, some deliberately, and some playing off of exusting themes. Think of cities like Seattle, which project an image. One small city that always sticks in my mind is "Positively Pewaukee." A great catch phrase.
Of course, with a city like Philly, a "re-branding" would be a very difficult task, and would meet with much opposition. Why? It's brands are already there... and very deep.

"City of Brotherly Love"
"Birthplace of Freedom"
"Place where they boo Santa Clause and throw batteries at players"

So I doubt a new tag line is going to work... But, a new campaign couldn't hurt.