• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Let's see the view from your house!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
You're all wimps! Look at the glorious, he-man RUGGED! view from the house I'm renting in Cleveland. Arrrrrrrr!

It'll change in September, after the snow melts and I buy a place of my own.

Quite a change from the view out the window of my old house in Orlando.

Or from the house in Denver.

Let's see the view from your place!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Don't have a photo handy, but dug up this veiw from a couple of houses down from my place. It's a great neighborhood, but I have to move out in May and find a bigger place... probably in another part of town.

I've posted these before a while back, but here's the view from the homestead back in SC.
1157cheoheevalley1-med.jpg
1157cheoheevalley2-med.jpg

JNL

Cyburbian
Views from my apartment

801DCP_0879-med.jpg
This is the view from our lounge - the city is just behind the trees! View of back of ugly cream apartment building next door and ugly apartment building with blue stairwell.

801DCP_0878-med.jpg
Looking around to the south and another ugly apartment building

801DCP_0891-med.jpg
Some older houses on one of the adjacent streets

801DCP_0887-med.jpg
Looking down the hill into the city

BKM

Cyburbian
Looks like a combination of Miami Beach and San Francisco.

I'll take some photos of my town this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

tsc

Cyburbian
This is the view out my backyard...with our newly adopted dog from a foster care group. Many can't believe I live 30 miles north of NYC.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
tsc said:
This is the view out my backyard...with our newly adopted dog from a foster care group. Many can't believe I live 30 miles north of NYC.
[OT]Hey, that's a great-looking dog!

Have you ever been to Storm King? Fantastic place -- although the last time I was there I was a little concerned about the condition of some of the pieces.[/OT]

tsc

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
[OT]Hey, that's a great-looking dog!

Have you ever been to Storm King? Fantastic place -- although the last time I was there I was a little concerned about the condition of some of the pieces.[/OT]
Haven't been to Storm King (the sculpture park) yet... but have sailed by it along the Hudson though.

The dog is Lodi, he is some strange mix of a grey hound...and lord knows what. He is the opposite of my other hound mix...who is short and stocky.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
tsc said:

is that considered upstate NY?

Tom R

Cyburbian
Dan said:
You're all wimps! Look at the glorious, he-man RUGGED! view from the house I'm renting in Cleveland. Arrrrrrrr!

How's the rent in Cleveland? Similar to Buffalo?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Sadly.. no camera here..
Just imagine a bunch of mountains in the distance, a Marriot nearby, the military school (yeah, it's great to hear them march at 6 am..) and an ugly building in front.

tsc

Cyburbian
GeogPlanner said:
is that considered upstate NY?
LOL... well ask SGB and he would say I live in the Bronx. Ask someone in the Bronx and they would say I lived in upstate... and that Downtown and SGB live in Canada. It is an ongoing debate... but I would say I lived downstate in the NYC metro. I can see the Isle of Manhattan from the hilltops.

GeogPlanner said:
i feel like my office is my home...so here's my view from 10 stories up
stare at that longer and it looks 3D

Last edited by a moderator:

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
tsc said:
stare at that longer and it looks 3D
you're right. i'm going to fall over b/c it makes me a bit dizzy too. that wall is about 10-15 feet away from my bldg.

and glad to hear someone from downstate admit it. ;-)

upstate in the hizouse

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
Whoa! That is most arty. The orange, the green, the cement blocks ominously peeking over the hill in the distance....

Well, you do have a nice view. :) We don't see much topography here in FL.

Habanero

Cyburbian
You have no idea how much I'd love to pull that construction fence down, but it keeps crap of the golf course. I remember when I lived in SoFL the only hill was the garbage site.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
You have no idea how much I'd love to pull that construction fence down, but it keeps crap of the golf course. I remember when I lived in SoFL the only hill was the garbage site.
What garbage sites? Those are the famous Yankee middens...

H

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
I remember when I lived in SoFL the only hill was the garbage site.
Glorious Mnt Trashmore! FLA should put big neon ad signs on top or maybe a mount rushmore type sculpture of Jebs face ;)

SGB

Cyburbian
tsc said:
LOL... well ask SGB and he would say I live in the Bronx
Actually, I was gonna suggest that you live in north Jersey! Or is it the metropolitan Trumpton area? ;)

tsc

Cyburbian
SGB said:
Actually, I was gonna suggest that you live in north Jersey! Or is it the metropolitan Trumpton area? ;)
funny that you say that... we have a trump subdivision going on at this minute!!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
On the street in front of my house, tonight at about 8:10 PM.

1DSC02711-med.jpg

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I wish I had a camera... I could show you the wite tops of the Andes that I can see from there, now that it has rained (and snowed in the mountains of course) recently...
Santiago gets all flooded when it rains, unlike Valdivia... but luckly it gets flooded on parts that I don't go through.

This is the view from my back door- I live on the 2nd floor of a two story apartment complex in South Beach. The building is a 38 story condo-hotel called the Setai. It is located right on the beach. Don't mind the smoke in the background, we had a really huge brushfire a couple of weeks ago.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
GCT13 said:
The view from my apartment, taken today-
I don't intend to post pad when I say "drooooooool ..... "

That view just screams "New York," much more so then skyline shots as seen from Jersey. :)

JNL

Cyburbian
Maybe nerudite will beat me to it, but you click on the Gallery tab at the top of the page, then click 'upload photos', and 'browse' to find the file on your PC.

After you have uploaded your photo(s), you right click on the photo to find its properties, and copy the 'address' of the pic, then paste this into your post between
tags.

Any questions from there, I will be online for a bit so you can PM me if you want.

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
[ot]
JNL said:
Maybe nerudite will beat me to it, but you click on the Gallery tab at the top of the page, then click 'upload photos', and 'browse' to find the file on your PC.
You can also attach smaller images to messages, by using the "Manage attachments" button in the new message or reply page. You can also use the [ img ] and [ /img ] tags (remove spaces) to link to images on other sites.[/ot]

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
STTG--Your neighborhood looks like mine, if it were transported into Sim City by someone who then used the mountain-making feature with complete abandon. Almost identical houses, street layouts, etc, just with big mountains jutting up in the background.
I think I like your version better.

I really don't think anyone wants to see the lovely view of the dumpster in front of my apartment. :-#

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Plannerbabs said:
STTG--Your neighborhood looks like mine, if it were transported into Sim City by someone who then used the mountain-making feature with complete abandon. Almost identical houses, street layouts, etc, just with big mountains jutting up in the background.
I think I like your version better.
Yes, it is suburbia. But the view of the mountians is even better to the east and north. The view from my porch is looking south, southeast.

Habanero said:
mmmm. mountains.
Ditto

tsc

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
I hate to be critical of someones home....... but your pic reminds me of a Dar Williams song...."Well the mountain was so beautiful, that this guy built a mall and a pizza shcak, Yeah he built and ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back"

or reminds me of the set from "Edward Scissorhands"... a bit surreal....

BKM

Cyburbian
tsc said:
I hate to be critical of someones home....... but your pic reminds me of a Dar Williams song...."Well the mountain was so beautiful, that this guy built a mall and a pizza shcak, Yeah he built and ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back"

or reminds me of the set from "Edward Scissorhands"... a bit surreal....
Well, at least there are separated sidewalks, so in some decade, the street trees may have grown in nicely (if they ever plant any). And, the houses are not all snout houses. So, for modern day America, this looks pretty decent. :)

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Well, at least there are separated sidewalks, so in some decade, the street trees may have grown in nicely (if they ever plant any). And, the houses are not all snout houses. So, for modern day America, this looks pretty decent. :)
I will be planting trees in the parkstrip. And several more in my yard to go along with what I already have planted. Due to high morning winds coming out of the nearby canyon, my selection is a little limited on what kind I can put in the yard and parkstrip. I know the "fan west" ash is good for windy areas.

jmf

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Look at all those work trucks! Looks like Wulf9 lives in a RUGGED! 'hood!
I didn't even see the trucks! As I sit here on the second straight cold rainy day, preceded by one solitary nice, but very cold, day, and projected to be folowed by rain and cold the rest of the week, all I saw were the gorgeous purple trees. We have crocuses and a few early irises out and some neighbours have a few daffodils out in very warm spots. But no other colour yet - not even any forsythia. Sigh, I expect it will be a couple more week before the flowering trees do their thing. I hate this time of year sometimes.

BKM

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
I will be planting trees in the parkstrip. And several more in my yard to go along with what I already have planted. Due to high morning winds coming out of the nearby canyon, my selection is a little limited on what kind I can put in the yard and parkstrip. I know the "fan west" ash is good for windy areas.
Off Topic Digression:

We have a big problem with this in Fairfield, CA. Solano County lies in the wind tunnel between the (usually) cool San Francisco Bay and the (always) hot Sacramento Valley. You should see some of the poorly-staked trees that we have to deal with when mistakes have been made.

I wish we could get separated sidewalks like this. In our case, the City would require the developer to plant street trees at 25' o.c. Some of the 1980s subdivisions are growing in nicely because of the street tree pattern.

Wulf9

Dan said:
Look at all those work trucks! Looks like Wulf9 lives in a RUGGED! 'hood!
Yep. Lots of trucks and big dogs. Muni code requires you to own a truck if you want to live here :) We just revised the definition which required a "truck" to have a diesel engine with four rear wheels, and an interior that can be washed out with a hose.

However, the truck guys and girls are the most likely to stop and let you cross the main drag. People here are very nice.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
From the front door of NHPlanner & Planner Groupie's house:
3viewfromdoor1.jpg

From the porch door:
3viewfromporchdoor.jpg

Front yard:
3yardpan.jpg

From the driveway, in each direction:
3lookingwest.jpg
3lookingeast.jpg

I'll get some pics of White Park and add them soon (about a block from the house)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
This is the view from my place... it is a 10 min drive from downtown K-Zoo, and I can ride to work, but here, I am in the middle of State Game land.

This is looking the other way...

This is from the ground looking up to my place...

Our club house/ office is getting a face lift.

Oh, and I smile everytime I come home, because this is the entrance to the complex...