• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Let's see the view from your house!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
BKM said:
Very nice New England streets! Kunstler would be proud of you!

Thanks. It's one of the oldest neighborhoods in Concord....part of the original city grid.

Other cool buildings/places nearby:

Centennial Inn (2 blocks):
CentInn1.jpg

206gourmet.JPG

034754A.jpg

Dewey School (1 block) (I'll get an actual pic soon):
school.jpg

White Park, designed by Olmstead employee Charles Eliot in 1888 (1 block):
whitepark.jpg

whitepark3.jpg

image16.jpg

Having not yet figured out the efficient means of attaching files here (my dog photos took quite a bit of muddling) here are two shots of the houses I see from my porch in the morning. The first is from my fence, the other is taken from down the street.

http://larryfeltonjohnson.typepad.com/photos/haas_avenue/haas_080.html
http://larryfeltonjohnson.typepad.com/photos/haas_avenue/haas_091.html

We're on the edge of the business district, so if I turn 180 degrees from my position on the second shot I'd be facing the side of the Iris restaurant and the back of a Suntrust
Bank.

Planner Groupie

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
From the front door of NHPlanner & Planner Groupie's house:

I'll get some pics of White Park and add them soon (about a block from the house)

Sneaky, when did you take those?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Planner Groupie said:
Sneaky, when did you take those?

Saturday while you were shopping with my mom and sister. ;-)

freewaytincan

Cyburbian
I really do hate upload limits.

This is the view out the side window. Those bulls only stay here. They don't belong to my brother.

A_060.jpg

jordanb

Cyburbian
I took this some time ago when this thread was active, but just got it developed.

viewfront.jpg

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Provided there are no snags between now and closing, this is the view from the street in front of the new house.

1view-med.jpg

BKM

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Provided there are no snags between now and closing, this is the view from the street in front of the new house.

20s-early 40s suburbia is great!

Kevin

Congrats on the new house, Dan! I grew up in South Euclid. What street is that?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Kevin said:
Congrats on the new house, Dan! I grew up in South Euclid. What street is that?

Dill Road, off of Mayfield Road, near City Hall. It's not too far from the house I'm renting right now, on the other side of Euclid Creek in Lyndhurst.

teshadoh

Cyburbian
I'll try to remember this post in the wintertime - that's when I have a better view from my home. The second floor of my house has a somewhat decent view of downtown Atlanta from slightly southeast - more east. Also, some of Midtown's towers pop up over the tops of trees - what I like the best, is every now & then seeing a MARTA train go by in the distance.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Here's the view of directly across the street from my new digs.
005.jpg

taken from apt. complex website

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Congratulations and good luck with the house, Dan. BTW, I'm wondering what Bailey and Guinness are planning as a "going away" present for the guy across the street from your current digs. ;-)

Jen

Cyburbian
Summer has finally arrived in Michigan!

87Dsc01248-med.jpg

This is a view from my deck this lazy Labor Day weekend.
87Dsc01245-med.jpg

And this is a view from an upper deck.

biscuit

Cyburbian
^
[ot]This will be the first time, in as far back as I can remember, that I won't be spending Labor Day weekend on the lake. You're making me jealous, and a little homesick, Jen. Got any spare room on that party barge? :b: :) [/ot]

Last edited:

jresta

Cyburbian
My current South Philly digs.

win2.jpg

You can actually see more of the skyline from my bedroom window but the windows are double-hung and mine broke.
winder.jpg

win3.jpg

zman

Cyburbian
Resurrected again...

I saw this and thought I would add to it with some test shots from my new camera.

The field my apartment faces is soon to be a massive church and school project. Hopefully I will have purchased a new house before groundbreaking.

View of sunset colors
2110Loveland_001-med.jpg

View during day, there really are mountains under all the clouds...honest
2110Views_003-med.jpg

Moderator note:

Edit (NHPlanner)
Image links fixed.

Last edited:

Queen B

Cyburbian
I still want to get pictures into this thread. I should have taken picture two days ago when the snow fall was perfect.

jread

Cyburbian
I don't have any of my own pics from my apartment just yet, but I do have some from my office window:

My Desk (I have a new computer with flat panel monitors now :D )
office1.jpg

Hooters (I know all the shift changes, lol)
office2.jpg

Downtown (looking North):
office3.jpg

Downtown Again (looking North):
office4.jpg

Texas Hill Country (looking West):
office5.jpg

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
1418darcy_pictures_009-med.jpg

This is the building across the street frm my apartment building

steel

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
Steel, why so?

I mean no offense but we are so used to seeing cheap suburban sprawl devouring more ordinary landscapes that it becomes unimportant to us. This picture just super emphasise how thoroughly we are destroying our natural heritage in this country and the lack of respect we have for something that took 4B years to create.

It is just sad to see these vinyl covered matchboxes nudged up against those magnificant mountains.

But, this is the Friday Afternoon Club so I don't know if I am allowed to get into heavy subjects like this.

Breed

Cyburbian
steel said:
I mean no offense but we are so used to seeing cheap suburban sprawl devouring more ordinary landscapes that it becomes unimportant to us. This picture just super emphasise how thoroughly we are destroying our natural heritage in this country and the lack of respect we have for something that took 4B years to create.

Not all suburbs are evil.

BKM

Cyburbian
steel said:

It is just sad to see these vinyl covered matchboxes nudged up against those magnificant mountains.

But, this is the Friday Afternoon Club so I don't know if I am allowed to get into heavy subjects like this.

Comfort yourself by realizing how quickly they can be reduced to "Dust in the Wind" :0

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Alright finally got some pictures taken and uploaded.

Here they are.

This one is looking from my front porch east.

814MISC_027-med.jpg

THis picture is looking north across the street
814MISC_026-med.jpg

And this one is looking west up the street
814MISC_023-med.jpg

I love living here, I live in the city but it almost feels like I'm in the country. I am 2 blocks from Westnedge Avenue, the busiest street in town but don't hear the traffic and I have no direct neighbors (in front, back or in the sides). In the summer when the leaves are on the trees I can see only 1 house.

BKM said:
Comfort yourself by realizing how quickly they can be reduced to "Dust in the Wind" :0
[ot]
Yeah, you can always watch cool TV shows on Discovery (et al) about, say, entire villages being covered by new ground in Hawaii due to volcanic eruptions. Or lahars killing entire villages with a wall of mud. Or similar. Ever see before and after photos of Mt. Saint Helens? Or watch any of those shows about long run out avalanches? When the earth gets tired of us intruding on nature too much, she just shrugs and buries entire cities. ;-) [/ot]

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I'm taking a break from unpacking and thought I post the view from my front door.

168From_my_front_door-med.JPG

I also added a couple more pics in my members gallery. Wow, how come it's so small? Can a mod help out? Thanks

Moderator note:

(NHPlanner) Changed image link from the thumbnail to the medium image

Last edited by a moderator:

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
steel said:

Thanks for your side of the photo. As for the subdivision, yes, it was farmland before the homes were built, but then again, what has not been, for the most part. If this subdivision had mature trees, I think most peoples views would be different. As for the houses, most are 2400 sq feet + on lots over 9,000 square feet.