• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Letter from Iraq - June 7, 2004

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
A new letter from my brother, for those who are interested.

I will give you the details of the day because it was an interesting day.

We sleep outside next to our vehicles when in the field and after waking up next to our vehicle, 3 of our LAVs headed for a town ............................... There is barbed wire, thanks to the Marines, running along the border on the edge of town ........................................

We first went to the .................................... to see a ........ Lieutenant. After a short stay there, we went to the local school in the town to meet with the principal. The principal is one of the leaders of the town and the town is part of a tribe that is located in another town. The other town has the Sheik, so the Principal apparently is the man to see when here. I was just along for the ride with my ..................................... and a .............................. The .................... bids and makes contracts so that clinics, schools and other projects can be completed in our area. We discussed the projects that were on the schedule. As usual they fed us while we were there. We had their local bread (Ho-biz), fried eggs, a butter/cheese type spread and a milky like substance. All is dipped in with the bread to eat. The .............................. also had many boxes of food and school supplies from the states to give to the school. I helped give out the food to the local kids. Usually the boys and girls where nowhere to be found until I asked, then they arrived. We then went to the ............................... post for the area. I only hung out while my ...................... did some business. We then went back to the .......................... from earlier and talked with the ............... stationed there. They also fed us. More bread with fried egg plant and eggs. When that was over we returned to the .............................. for another meal. This was bread, chicken, rice, cucumbers and tomatoes. This food is always a welcome treat since fresh food is much better.

Around midnight, we walked back to our vehicles and went to bed. The distance between the ................................ is about 30 minutes ride. Riding in the back of an LAV is very hot and dusty. The wheels can kick up a lot of dirt that flies right back at you if the wind is not right. We stay in the field for around 7 days or more before we are able to get a shower. We get quite dirty. I wonder how the Iraqis can stand to have us in their presence.

I got back from the field yesterday and expect to leave again tomorrow. The company is trying to get a better schedule to rotate people through camp.