• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Libraries of the future...

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Interesting article on the potential future of libraries, from the BBC website. Thought Cities and Places might be the appropriate forum to discuss this...

Libraries have always fascinated me. I worked in one when I was in high school, and still enjoy wandering through the stacks searching for text you can hold in your hands, rather than just scroll through on-line. I think I like the "idea store" concept, though it does sound maybe a little too "capitalistic" for such a noble venture.

thoughts?

donk

Cyburbian
From the article, sounds like they are trying to compete with Chapters, or take a lesson from them. A place where you can comfortably read someone else's books and not have to worry about spilling coffeee on them.

I love libraries too. if I liked people more I think it would be a great job.

TP you are lucky, I love going to the TO Reference library on Yonge Street, north of Bloor. I'll stop in with a list of articles for work, even when I'm on vacation.

The municiapl affairs library(down by King Street near the CBC building near the" old" ATT building makes sense?) is pretty good too, the librarians down there must not get too much traffic, because they are really helpful, and sometimes will even help you go through abstracts.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I love libraries as well. I just hate the fact that some jurisdictions do not give them a large enough budget that they can't provide more services or locations to the public.

I wrote the Library Services Element for the comprehensive plan for my most recent job. It was a shame to see the politicians knock down the Library's Director for additional funding to provide more libraries and services in the community. As it was, the library's LOS was 1 book/person in the community and the rest of the state was at least 3 to 3.5 books. And we were the second richest county in the state!!!! :( Bad politicians. The library system benefits everyone and the funding should reflect it! The services that they provide are awesome. I admire those jurisdictions who stand behind their libraries or "idea stores".

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
donk said:

TP you are lucky, I love going to the TO Reference library on Yonge Street, north of Bloor. I'll stop in with a list of articles for work, even when I'm on vacation.

The municiapl affairs library(down by King Street near the CBC building near the" old" ATT building makes sense?) is pretty good too, the librarians down there must not get too much traffic, because they are really helpful, and sometimes will even help you go through abstracts.
They're proposing to redo the Yonge Street entrance of the reference library. Bit of debate happening about whether the 1970's semi-brutalist structure should be tampered with. But they do need more space.

The municipal affairs library is good...you got the location right. It's actually in Metro Hall...the former seat of government for the old Metro Toronto (regional) government. The fact that you didn't seem to know that speaks volumes as to the impact of that building...such a no-name civic centre. I may be moving there soon.

donk

Cyburbian
It's actually in Metro Hall

I thought that what its name was, but with the changes to local government, was not sure what it was called.

The Erie County/City of Buffalo libraries are facing monumental budget shortfalls again this year. Hopefully our great library system won't be totally dismantled.

If you're ever in Buffalo check out the scrapbook section of the downtown main library. It had hundreds of scrap books made by librarians of years past and is a truly amazing treasure trove of the regions history.