• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Life cycle housing or regulating market segments

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
When we updated our Comprehensive Plan in 1998-2001 the public and the Committee guiding the process specifically rejected the concept of "life cycle housing". (i.e.you can graduate from high school & get an apartment, save enough to achieve owner occupancy at an affordable level, then in time move to the empty nester setting, then on to assisted living, etc. It's really a stay-in-the-community-cradle-to-the-grave approach). As a second-tier suburb with 10% of our residences being on waterfront property, our housing stock tends to be in the upper-middle to lower-upper class brackets. Affordability for younger AND older ages is a big concern.

I'm sure flexible zoning techniques can go a long way to promoting affordability, but with our established population base it's a tough sell. I think the Plan's housing policies could be construed - indirectly - as being exclusionary, but no one will really fess up to that. Now, as our State has adopted Smart Growth legislation and our local Plans must specifically address affordability issues, I want to start re-introducing the concept.

Has anyone run across a good housing segmentation policy or a related case study? I want real world examples of policy implementation and regulation...

Thanks!

Top Bottom