• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Life-Threatening Illness & Reality Check

imaplanner

Cyburbian
This week marks the 6th anniversary of the beginning of my nearly one-month "vacation" at the University of Michigan Hospital, enjoying the fun of a bone marrow stem cell transplant.

Mr. Hodgkin's Lymphoma......continue to stay away from this ole' Bear.

:)

Bear

You are 6 years old! hAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
You are 6 years old! hAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Thanks, my friend. It really is common among BMSCT survivors to think of themselves as "reborn"......not in the religious way but rather as a sort of "starting over".

BTW, how is your spouse doing?

Bear

imaplanner

Cyburbian
Thanks, my friend. It really is common among BMSCT survivors to think of themselves as "reborn"......not in the religious way but rather as a sort of "starting over".

BTW, how is your spouse doing?

Bear

She doing great! Thanks for asking. In fact, I haven't seen her happier and healthier since the first day she met me ;)

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joining Club "C"

I am now a member of Club "C" having been diagnosed with a tumor in my left kidney. This is what has been causing me all the problems the past couple of months with the pain and bleeding in my kidney. The pain has been caused by blood clots impeding the flow of blood into and urine out of the kidney and to describe it as excruciating does not get anywhere close to the level of pain it causes (think prolonged childbirth with no drugs and no reward in the end 8-!).

Two trip to the ER on Monday at 2:30am and 3:30pm pretty much sealed my fate and the urologist/surgeon I've been consulting with said now was the time to move forward. So I am doing just that and I am scheduled on Monday to have a radical nephrectomy performed...yes that's right they are going to remove the entire kidney :-c. I should be in the hospital 3-4 days. Post-operative treatment will be decided once the tumor is evaluated and if anything else abnormal is noticed during surgery.

Thoughts, prayers, and well wishes for my surgery and recovery are appreciated!

imaplanner

Cyburbian
I am now a member of Club "C" having been diagnosed with a tumor in my left kidney. This is what has been causing me all the problems the past couple of months with the pain and bleeding in my kidney. The pain has been caused by blood clots impeding the flow of blood into and urine out of the kidney and to describe it as excruciating does not get anywhere close to the level of pain it causes (think prolonged childbirth with no drugs and no reward in the end 8-!).

Two trip to the ER on Monday at 2:30am and 3:30pm pretty much sealed my fate and the urologist/surgeon I've been consulting with said now was the time to move forward. So I am doing just that and I am scheduled on Monday to have a radical nephrectomy performed...yes that's right they are going to remove the entire kidney :-c. I should be in the hospital 3-4 days. Post-operative treatment will be decided once the tumor is evaluated and if anything else abnormal is noticed during surgery.

Thoughts, prayers, and well wishes for my surgery and recovery are appreciated!

Oh NO that's terrible new K! I'm sending positive vibes your way

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
You're already on my list kj. Keep us posted as you or RT are able. We're pulling for you!

wahday

Cyburbian
So sorry to hear that K!!! Definitely got some good mojo going out to you from the southwest. What a scary situation - we're all on your side and hoping for a speedy resolution!

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
Oh now and you just started a new job! Are you covered by insurance still? Hope so! Best wishes!

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
Ditto all of this from me, kjel. Nothing but the best, and you'll be in our prayers and thoughts.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
kjel -
:( Don't know what more I say beyond what has been said.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
My thoughts and best wishes are definitely with you. Having family members and close friends facing cancer, I know how this is scary. If it is simply our thoughts and prayers, a place to talk about it, or anything else you need, call on us.

Otis

Cyburbian
kj I'm sending all the good vibes I can your way, and all the best wishes for your complete recovery, and all the prayers I can muster for you.:l:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I will cross my fingers AND my toes for you! Monday will be a day full of mojo-sending thoughts and heartfelt prayers for a successful procedure!

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I am so sorry to hear that, kjel. Keep your head up though. You seem to be a very strong person and I know you will make it through this. I send my prayers and best wishes for a successful operation, a speedy and full recovery, and a permanent elimination of the Big C.

natski

Cyburbian
Im really sorry to hear that Kj. Your such a strong person and have the support from all of us here at Cyb (even if we are in another hemisphere!) and you have one super awesome RT to look after you. Goodluck with the surgery :l::l::l::l:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
This week marks the 6th anniversary of the beginning of my nearly one-month "vacation" at the University of Michigan Hospital, enjoying the fun of a bone marrow stem cell transplant.

Mr. Hodgkin's Lymphoma......continue to stay away from this ole' Bear.

Woo hoo! Congratulations on the ongoing remission!

Also, best wishes out to KJ. :)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
KJ -- my father-in-law had the same surgery. They were able to do it laparascopically [sp?] and he recovered quite quickly. Here's hoping the outcome is just as good, if not better, for you. Good vibes from the Hoosier state!

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I'm thinking about you Kj. Who wants two kidney's anyways? :) Stay positive, you will rock this.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Hope things get better soon kj! For some reason, it seems easier to cope once you know what you are up against. Thinking good thoughts and sending them up the East Coast.

I'm going through a 'c' scare right now myself, hoping for a good outcome to today's test.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Today I received orders to report to the hospital at 9:30am and the main event will commence between 10:30 and 11:00am.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
This Bear is wishing the very best of outcomes for kj and bb. The absolute very best. Hang in there!

Bear

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Friends,

The surgery went off well with no complications, the tumor was localized and hadn't spread so they just took the kidney and it's adrenal gland. I stayed in the hospital two night and was released this afternoon. At least I can finish healing up at home in my own bed :) I will be at home for the next two week recovering. I may of may not need chemotherapy/radiation depending on what pathology determined the type of cancer it is.

Thank you all for your continuous thoughts, prayers, and wishes. It means so much to me.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
That's very good news kjel. Our thoughts are with you for a quick and complete recovery.

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Glad you are home and healing.

Is the RT waiting on you hand and foot ? ;)

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Excellent news, kj. Rest, recuperate, and then get back out there and kick @ss!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Great new, kj!! Follow the doctor's orders, and you'll be up and around again in no time!!

And remember, pain killers are your friend!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I am pleased as well with the results, KJ. You know who we haven't heard from is beach_bum? Anyone hear how her test results went?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Hi Friends,

The surgery went off well with no complications, the tumor was localized and hadn't spread so they just took the kidney and it's adrenal gland. I stayed in the hospital two night and was released this afternoon. At least I can finish healing up at home in my own bed :) I will be at home for the next two week recovering. I may of may not need chemotherapy/radiation depending on what pathology determined the type of cancer it is.

Thank you all for your continuous thoughts, prayers, and wishes. It means so much to me.

good to hear

beach_bum

Cyburbian
I am pleased as well with the results, KJ. You know who we haven't heard from is beach_bum? Anyone hear how her test results went?

KJ-glad everything went well...take it easy and rest up...

I'd love to hear about my test results too...day two of calls into dr. office not answered so far :not:

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Glad everything went well kj! Continued thoughts and prayers for a successful recovery and for the cancer to permanently go away!

Also, I hope your test results come back OK, beach_bum!