• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Life-Threatening Illness & Reality Check

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great news beach bum! I have my follow up visit with the surgeon on 3/2. Hopefully pathology results will be back then. Still taking it easy, finally able to function better part of the day without painkillers :)

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Super congrats for beach bum! You have to be dancing in the streets!
_____

kj......this Bear is in your corner, continue to hang in there!

Bear

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Thanks all for the well wishes. It feels great not to have to worry about it anymore. Going up for my next follow up in April to stay on top of things.

Glad you are feeling better KJ...its amazing how much better you feel after the bad cells are gone :)

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Thanks all for the well wishes. It feels great not to have to worry about it anymore. Going up for my next follow up in April to stay on top of things.

Glad you are feeling better KJ...its amazing how much better you feel after the bad cells are gone :)

Glad to hear it. Hope everything is good on the health front now and in the future :)

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Good Blood Lab Numbers -
A1C - 6.8
Cholesterol - 120 - however I am on Lipitor, control my eating (NO dairy), & exercise.

Essentially the same numbers since Aug 09. :)

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
As you probably know, this Bear is a cancer survivor. Diagnosed in 1996, I have "enjoyed" extensive radiation treatments, long affairs with chemotherapy, and even a bone marrow stem cell transplant. All of this technology and treatment saved my life.

So I can continue to bug you folks.

:)

Carry on. (And check out the link.)

Bear

http://www.suntimes.com/4241629-417/number-of-u.s.-cancer-survivors-soars-to-12-million

I'm a recent inductee to the survivor's club too. Fortunately I didn't have to endure chemo or radiation. My new "birthday" is Valentine's Day. I'm glad you are still free and clear of the Big C.

Good Blood Lab Numbers -
A1C - 6.8
Cholesterol - 120 - however I am on Lipitor, control my eating (NO dairy), & exercise.

Way to go! Keep up the good work :)

imaplanner

Cyburbian
As you probably know, this Bear is a cancer survivor. Diagnosed in 1996, I have "enjoyed" extensive radiation treatments, long affairs with chemotherapy, and even a bone marrow stem cell transplant. All of this technology and treatment saved my life.

So I can continue to bug you folks.

:)

Carry on. (And check out the link.)

Bear

http://www.suntimes.com/4241629-417/number-of-u.s.-cancer-survivors-soars-to-12-million

I'm actually quite surprised at that number. I would have thought there would be many more than that.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Earlier this week I posted in RTDNTOTO about a former coworker who was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. Today she sent some of us a bit more information - after some more tests it turns out she has stage IV pancreatic cancer that has migrated to her lungs and her liver.

Apparently, she was feeling fine up until the start of May or so at first she didn't think anything of it (she thought maybe she had gotten a flu or something) and after a few days she decided to go to the doctor but still put it off because she was about to graduate from nursing school and just wanted to get that out of the way.

It amazes me that a disease and prognosis so vicious can just sneak up on somebody so quickly with no outward symptoms. She has two young children (I think one is a freshman and the other may be in the 6th or 7th grade) and the scariest part to me is how this could impact them - maybe that's just the parent in me worrying about my daughter?

In the end, something like this, happening to somebody I know, even if it's somebody I don't see on a daily basis anymore really, and I mean REALLY!, makes my problems seem so trivial. I cannot wait to get home tonight to hug my wife and daughter. :(

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I just now got caught up on what kjelsadek and beach_bum have went through, glad things are going well. How very scary.

In the end, something like this, happening to somebody I know, even if it's somebody I don't see on a daily basis anymore really, and I mean REALLY!, makes my problems seem so trivial. I cannot wait to get home tonight to hug my wife and daughter. :(

That is ver sad, and I agree that, as well as other stories here really puts things into perspective :(

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Earlier this week I posted in RTDNTOTO about a former coworker who was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. Today she sent some of us a bit more information - after some more tests it turns out she has stage IV pancreatic cancer that has migrated to her lungs and her liver.

Apparently, she was feeling fine up until the start of May or so at first she didn't think anything of it (she thought maybe she had gotten a flu or something) and after a few days she decided to go to the doctor but still put it off because she was about to graduate from nursing school and just wanted to get that out of the way.

It amazes me that a disease and prognosis so vicious can just sneak up on somebody so quickly with no outward symptoms. She has two young children (I think one is a freshman and the other may be in the 6th or 7th grade) and the scariest part to me is how this could impact them - maybe that's just the parent in me worrying about my daughter?

I am so sorry to hear this. Pancreatic cancer is one of the most vicious cancers. My planning school lost a very beloved professor to pancreatic cancer about 6 months after diagnosis. My best friend lost her husband last fall after her husband mounted an epic battle against pancreatic cancer for 18 months. He knew the prognosis was poor but every day was a gift to him, my friend, and their two children so they basically spent the last year doing things together as a family and making memories for the kids.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
I am so sorry to hear this. Pancreatic cancer is one of the most vicious cancers. My planning school lost a very beloved professor to pancreatic cancer about 6 months after diagnosis. My best friend lost her husband last fall after her husband mounted an epic battle against pancreatic cancer for 18 months. He knew the prognosis was poor but every day was a gift to him, my friend, and their two children so they basically spent the last year doing things together as a family and making memories for the kids.

I lost a good friend/mentor/boss to pancreatic cancer several years ago. He fought a battle with liver cancer and had apparently won but then went from seemingly good health to passing within a month of diagnosis with pancreatic cancer. .

Veloise

Cyburbian
Earlier this week I posted in RTDNTOTO about a former coworker who was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. Today she sent some of us a bit more information - after some more tests it turns out she has stage IV pancreatic cancer that has migrated to her lungs and her liver. ...

Please suggest to her caringbridge.org. It's very helpful for major illness and palliative care. There's a guestbook where far-flung friends can "visit" and the family can put up lots of photos and updates. Very helpful, caring, and supportive.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Please suggest to her caringbridge.org. It's very helpful for major illness and palliative care. There's a guestbook where far-flung friends can "visit" and the family can put up lots of photos and updates. Very helpful, caring, and supportive.

Phenomenal site, you introduced me to it when your father was ill and one of my oldest friends has a special needs little girl who underwent a hemispherectomy to remove a sizable portion of her brain to stop near constant debilitating seizures. All of us were able to follow her recovery and it was easy for my friend to just update in one place and ping a notice to Facebook.

SW MI Planner said:
I just now got caught up on what kjelsadek and beach_bum have went through, glad things are going well. How very scary.

It was very scary, you think you have one thing that's fairly mundane and whammo you find out it's something entirely different. I've made a full recovery and thankfully had no complications. The prognosis is very good provided I take care of my remaining kidney and make some lifestyle changes, which I am doing with full effort. I am back to having no insurance though since the job offer I received which would have given me excellent benefits was tabled due to municipal budget issues. So the follow up is going to be a little difficult until I land a job with insurance. Unfortunately the only insurance I can qualify for is the state high risk insurance pool which will cost $325/month and is the same exact plan I had with my previous employer, but I have to be uninsured for 6 months until I am eligible :(

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I'm having a procedure to remove a suspected leukoplakia in the back of my mouth next Friday. I'm more concerned about The Man who is having some other health related issues.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I'm having a procedure to remove a suspected leukoplakia in the back of my mouth next Friday. I'm more concerned about The Man who is having some other health related issues.

I Googled leukoplakia - YIKES. :not:
Doctor or Dentist find it ?
What are you giving up to prevent a reoccurance ?

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Katie's Sis & Sis' Dog

What a sad turn of events in the last few hours. First, some background.....

Katie's sister (a few years older than this Bear) was in the hospital for about a week. She has serious health issues that may not be cured. During her time in the hospital Katie had to drive back and forth between our Swanton home and Toledo suburb Maumee, to take care of her sister's special needs daughter. Finally on Friday, Katie was able to bring her sis home, hopefully to do all the right things to get back in somewhat good health. Katie's stress level was very high when all of this went on. The weekend was a godsend for Katie.....finally some time for herself. (Then, our central air conditioning went out, and the temps over the weekend were in the 90s.)

Tonight, just as I arrive home, Katie arrives, in a panic. The special needs daughter had taken Kayla, the tiny dog, for a walk. A 2-hour walk, with no rest and no water. The dog passed out and the daughter continued to drag the dog back home. The daughter then went into a semi-shock, probably because of what she did (and not fully understanding the consequences of her actions). A retired nurse who lives in the same apartment complex took the daughter into her home, to calm her down. Meanwhile, visiting nurses arrived (to talk with Katie's sister, a scheduled visit.) That was at the same time that the little dog was dragged to the front steps. They took the dog to a local vet. Katie informs me of all of these events and leaves our Swanton home, with her son and a son's friend, to go to the vet, to see if Kayla can be saved.

Kayla is in extremely bad shape but seems to perk up just a bit when hearing Katie's voice. At this time, Katie and her son (and son's friend) agree to take Kayla to an emergency animal hospital. On the way they have to pass the apartment complex where Katie's sister lives. They see an ambulance turning into the complex. Fearing the worst, they turn into the complex. The ambulance had been called because the daughter's panic attacks were getting seriously out of control. This is taking place at an adjacent building. Katie's son rings the bell at Katie's daughter's apartment, to alert her of her daughter's condition. There is no answer.

He uses Katie's key to get in the apartment and finds Katie's sister on the floor, with blood coming from her face. He rushes over to the ambulance attendents (who are administering to the daughter) and asks for their emergency help. Luckily, it is not serious: She fell when she went to answer the door and had a bloody nose.

At this time I am waiting for Katie to call me back. I may have to drive into Maumee to get her.....she is a basket case because of all that has taken place. And I am hoping for the best for the daughter and for the dog, Kayla.

Bear

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Jeebus that is no easy situation for anyone involved. I hope it all works out as well as it can. Perhaps doggy can go home with someone more able to care for her for the time being if she pulls through. I know Katie's sister has been going through it, has any thought been given to what will happen to her special needs daughter once she is unable to care for her any longer?

Tough decisions. I will definitely be keeping the family in my thoughts.

kms

Cyburbian
OMG, Bear, I don't even know what I could say to console Katie after the day she's having.

Might it be time to move her sister nearer to you?

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Bear, I am so sorry to hear what your family is going through. My thoughts and prayers for all involved, and I hope the dog makes a full recovery and that Katie's sister's daughter does as well.

natski

Cyburbian
Im so sorry to hear about your news bear. I hope katie is ok after all she has gone through.

Richmond Jake

It's good news. Doctor reports that from visual observation, he is certain it's not C. They will confirm with a biopsy. I'm feeling much better this evening than I expected following the procedure--didn't even fill the pain prescription. I can't drive a vehicle until about 2:00 tomorrow. Cudos to ZG for hanging with me.

I can golf on Sunday. Life is good.

Ya'll are stuck with me for years to come.

.......Doctor or Dentist find it ?.........

Dentist.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Now just put sunscreen on when you golf... that's what my wife says at least... ;)

Richmond Jake

One short story from yesterday, then I'm done here.

I woke up in post-op surprised to see ZG at the side of my bed. A moment later, the doctor arrives at the foot of the bed. He's a young kid not much taller than ZG.

He asks me, "How you feeling, RJ?"
"A little groggy, but not as bad as you described how I'd feel in our pre-op conversation. You've done this before, haven't you?"
"No, this is the first time. But I've seen done a couple of times on TV." :-c :lmao: :lmao:

Hink: I can't rub sunscreen on the inside of my mouth. :h:

Thanks, all. :)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Good Blood Lab Numbers -
A1C - 6.8

Repeat - which is a good thing. .:)

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have Type II diabetes and have been taking metformin for about 10 year to treat it. I've responded pretty well to it but my blood sugar levels have started to creep up just a little. So I have been switched out to glyburide and I DO NOT LIKE IT as it works completely different than the metformin.

The metformin blocks the liver from making glucose and releasing it into the bloodstream and the glyburide causes the pancreas to make more insulin and this causes my blood sugar to crash because I mind my diet well and eat typically lower carb/higher protein diet.

So I'm sitting at my desk eating ritz peanut butter crackers dipped in honey :-c

otterpop

Cyburbian
I've been pretty damn lucky health-wise. Guess maybe I've run out my string of good luck or at least hit a nasty bump

Two weeks ago I have a suspicious looking mole removed from my back. Didn't bode well when the doctor looked at it and said immediately "That is coming off right now!"

Not another good sign - yesterday when the doctor's office called me and said I needed to come in to talk to the doctor.

So I had a pretty aggressively growing cancerous melanoma. The divot she took out of my back two weeks ago is nothing compared to the piece the surgeon will be cutting out in the coming week or so. I will have to have one or two lymph nodes removed to see if the cancer cells migrated elsewhere in my body. She talked about possible chemotherapy.

My son is scared. My wife is concerned but optimistic all will be fine.

We are a long way from paying off my wife's emergency appendectomy earlier this year and now this. Guess I should start shopping for a cookbook on 1,000 ways to prepare Ramen noodles.

I am confident it isn't doom and gloom, but life won't be much fun in the next few months or longer..

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
So I had a pretty aggressively growing cancerous melanoma. The divot she took out of my back two weeks ago is nothing compared to the piece the surgeon will be cutting out in the coming week or so. I will have to have one or two lymph nodes removed to see if the cancer cells migrated elsewhere in my body. She talked about possible chemotherapy.

Very scary! Good think you had it checked out, or at least the doctor was proactive about it, and hope it hasn't spread. We'll be thinking of you and your family, I can't imagine how scary that would be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'm very sorry to hear about the C-scares there, otterpop. I hope all turns out well in the end.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
wow, otterpop, scary stuff! Please take care of yourself, hoping and praying for the best.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
That's not good to hear otterpop. Good thing your doctor was proactive about removing that mole. Hopefully, continued efforts to be proactive will bode well for you and get rid of any indication of the big-C. Paying off medical bills are never fun (I'm just trying to start out and will be paying off the portion of my appendectomy that insurance didn't cover for the next two years), but it's better to get this taken care of for your own sake and for your family's sake, whatever the cost may be.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Indeed scary stuff.

I know how it feels to have a spot on your back melon balled out - 3 times in a yr.
You find out who your friends are to change the dressings.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Very scary! Good think you had it checked out, or at least the doctor was proactive about it, and hope it hasn't spread. We'll be thinking of you and your family, I can't imagine how scary that would be.

I'm very sorry to hear about the C-scares there, otterpop. I hope all turns out well in the end.

wow, otterpop, scary stuff! Please take care of yourself, hoping and praying for the best.

That's not good to hear otterpop. Good thing your doctor was proactive about removing that mole. Hopefully, continued efforts to be proactive will bode well for you and get rid of any indication of the big-C. Paying off medical bills are never fun (I'm just trying to start out and will be paying off the portion of my appendectomy that insurance didn't cover for the next two years), but it's better to get this taken care of for your own sake and for your family's sake, whatever the cost may be.

Sending healthy thoughts and prayers your way, otterpop.

I appreciatre your kind thoughts and prayers. Going to see an oncologist tomorrow and a surgeon next week. The waiting and the not knowing is the hardest part.

Indeed scary stuff.

I know how it feels to have a spot on your back melon balled out - 3 times in a yr.
You find out who your friends are to change the dressings.

Very true. My wife changes the dressings. It is good for our marriage. She can take out her frustrations with me by ripping off the bandages, rather than suffocating me with her pillow. :D :p

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I've been where you are - waiting and not knowing. I had a LARGE suspicious mole removed from my upper back several years ago. The stitches busted part of the way, so I have a scar on my back. The scar is large enough and in a high enough location that it affected my wedding dress design, and continues to affect clothing and swimsuits:-$. I had to wait a week for results, and afterwards even had additional portions removed around the existing hole in my back - just in case.:-c

I was lucky in that it wasn't cancerous, but it scared me big time while waiting.

I'll send positive thoughts and vibes your way. Hopefully the doc can remove any lingering portions of the problem (under the skin portions that weren't caught before) without major sugery, and no chemo. Try to be like your wife - optomistic. It helped with my mom's Big-C situation.

natski

Cyburbian
Otterpop- my uncle went through the same thing a couple of months ago. His doctor found something suspicious on his back, got it tested and it was melanoma. I spent the following couple of weeks taking him to hospital appointments etc, where they gave him the run down about testing lymph nodes and removing them where neccessary.
After all the tests and his surgery, they only took a couple of nodes out, as a precation, as it didnt appear that the cancer has spread.

It was lucky that he gets regular skin checks and his doctor picked this one up nice and early. Best wishes and thoughts to you.