• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Life-Threatening Illness & Reality Check

wahday

Cyburbian
Sorry to hear that Otterpop! I hope all goes smoothly and without incident.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Positive energy vibes being sent from the Sunshine State to the Big Sky Country.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The value of a positive attitude cannot be underestimated! Wishing all the best for you otterpop.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry to hear about this otterpop but at least there is somewhat of a plan. I think the scariest thing is waiting on the unknown. Wishing you all the best!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Hang in there, otterpop. This Bear wishing you the very very best.
_____

For the last 4 to 5 months Katie has been heavily involved as a caregiver for her sister and neice. It continues, with no let-up in sight. Today, after telling Katie about my doctor visit, she inquired: "Do we have an old hound dog on our porch?"

Young'n's probably don't know about the olde hick TV show HeeHaw. One of the regular bits was a ditty about gloom and despair. That's what Katie meant when inquiring about the old hound dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ5ob9B9yD4

I have a lump near my groin. The doctor looked at it and she said I needed to see a surgeon "pronto". The last time a doctor said that to me, in 1996, I ended-up with four months of daily radiation therapy, remission for nearly 8 years, multiple weekly chemotherapy injections, high-dose chemo (in a hospital for a couple weeks), more high-dose chemo, in preparation for a bone marrow transplant.

Me been good since 2006. :)

Now, this lump. Scared again. Gloom, despair and agony on me. (Just kidding.....I believe in medicine and science and their ability to again fight this thing, if it needs fighting. It might be nothing!)

Bear

(Who remembers the name of the hound dog on HeeHaw?)

natski

Cyburbian
I have a lump near my groin. The doctor looked at it and she said I needed to see a surgeon "pronto". The last time a doctor said that to me, in 1996, I ended-up with four months of daily radiation therapy, remission for nearly 8 years, multiple weekly chemotherapy injections, high-dose chemo (in a hospital for a couple weeks), more high-dose chemo, in preparation for a bone marrow transplant.

Me been good since 2006. :)

Now, this lump. Scared again. Gloom, despair and agony on me. (Just kidding.....I believe in medicine and science and their ability to again fight this thing, if it needs fighting. It might be nothing!)

Bear

(Who remembers the name of the hound dog on HeeHaw?)

Sending you good vibes and wishes Bear. I have my fingers and toes crossed for you that isn't a problem

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
You know the drill, BUN. Don't delay, stay positive, and know that there are a lot of people pulling for you. Keep us posted.

otterpop

Cyburbian
BUN Good vibes and best wishes heading your way from the Land of the Big Sky!

On my homefront - FINESTKIND! - Last week I had followup surgery, though I was out for a week, everything went fine. They did sentinal node imaging (which hurts like a mofo when they stuck this long needle in really deep for what seemed like forever - TWICE). The surgery went well. I stayed home for the rest of the week (Thank you, hydrocodone!)

Yesterday we met with the surgeon and he gave me a clean bill of health. I am cancer-free. Which is way more refreshing than Pepsi Free.

Cancer - 1 Otterpop - 2 WINNING :awesome: :win:

Just need to see my dermatologist every three months for a year and a followup visit with the surgeon in six months.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian

On my homefront - FINESTKIND! - Last week I had followup surgery, though I was out for a week, everything went fine. They did sentinal node imaging (which hurts like a mofo when they stuck this long needle in really deep for what seemed like forever - TWICE). The surgery went well. I stayed home for the rest of the week (Thank you, hydrocodone!)

Yesterday we met with the surgeon and he gave me a clean bill of health. I am cancer-free. Which is way more refreshing than Pepsi Free.

Just need to see my dermatologist every three months for a year and a followup visit with the surgeon in six months.

Great news! Any of the hydrocodone left over? Just askin'.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

Congrats otterpop-great news.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Bear - Sorry to hear of your news. Hopefully it's nothing, but if it is something, I hope that you are able to successfully get it removed/treat it, and recover as quickly as possible.

otterpop - Glad to hear of your great news in getting rid of the big C!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Cue The Hound Dog

otterpop......GREAT news! :):):)
_____

Cue The Hound Dog
This Bear has no word on the infamous "lump". The appointment with the surgeon did not take place. However, something else did.....

Couple weeks ago when I visited my doc to tell her about my lump I also mentioned that my "shortness of breath" issue was getting worse. She prescribed a water pill.....I started taking it. By last weekend I was not feeling so well but I wrote it off as just a bit sleep-deprived from multiple middle of the night trips to the outhouse (no indoor plumbing in NW Ohio :-c;)).

I did not work on Monday (a planned vacation day) and ambled off to work on Tuesday. Still struggled with feeling bad on Tuesday but did wander into the officed early Wednesday morning. Because I was really getting out of breath just by moving around I called the doc to make another appointment. She said to get to the emergency room right away.....her diagnosis: congestive heart failure. :-c

Odd feeling being wheeled out of my workplace on a gurney followed by the bumpy ambulance ride to the hospital. I was admitted on Wednesday. On Friday morning I was taken to surgery and the cardiac doc sliced my right groin area (oh so close......oh my!) and inserted the tube and camera. The doc was pretty sure, before the "look-see", that his view would indicate that surgery to my heart was necessary. Lucky for me......down, you hound dog.....there was only a little bit of artery blockage, so no stents or roto-rootering necessary. :) He did see that my ticker had some damage, primarily affecting the flow of blood to and from the heart.

I was released from the hospital on Saturday afternoon. I am now back home, resting comfortably. I will probably return to work on Tuesday. Increased meds are now in the plan. I am a very lucky Bear, indeed.
_____

The lump issue is going to wait. I told Katie that the surgeon visit can wait a couple weeks.
_____

I have had my share of broken hearts in my 63 years. This was just a different version of same.

Bear

TOFB

Cyburbian
Sorry to hear that, Bear. Listen to some Lighthouse to help you get better. Works for me every time.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Wow, Bear. Sorry to hear of all that. Glad you're at home and recovering now. Hopefully, you can get the lump taken care of as well, and you can be back on your way again.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Lifting you up Bear. We know you've got more heart than most of us.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Bear be safe, and glad to hear that everything went well.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
It is so scary how life can change in a heartbeat :(

Glad you called your doctor when you did BUN, we'll be thinking of you.

Otterpop, thanks for the update, happy to hear it's good news.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear about this latest turn of medical events, Bear. We are all confident you will get better soon. Remember, you rolled an '18' constitution [/geek reference].

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Thanks for all the kind words! :)

Gonna try to return to the office on Wednesday. Told Katie that if I have any problems I will make it a short day.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Well, this Bear trudged to the workplace office on Wednesday. Ended-up working a 9-hour day, most of it spent in the office. Wasn't too bad. However, today (Thursday) I was really struggling so I scooted early, finishing with about a 5-hour day. My plans for Friday: Maybe a 4-hour day.

Katie is still mad at me for going back to work this week.

You should see my groin bruise! Katie took a picture but it won't be shared, just described. Very dark, almost appearing to be spilled black ink creating a somewhat long and skinny spider-like splot. :-c:D

Bear

btrage

Cyburbian
Well, this Bear trudged to the workplace office on Wednesday. Ended-up working a 9-hour day, most of it spent in the office. Wasn't too bad. However, today (Thursday) I was really struggling so I scooted early, finishing with about a 5-hour day. My plans for Friday: Maybe a 4-hour day.

Katie is still mad at me for going back to work this week.

You should see my groin bruise! Katie took a picture but it won't be shared, just described. Very dark, almost appearing to be spilled black ink creating a somewhat long and skinny spider-like splot. :-c:D

Bear

Reminds me of when I got "fixed". That was not a pretty site for a few days after the procedure. :-c

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Big Scare

On Friday I returned to my family doc to discuss my recent hospital stay, the heart cath, and issues going forward. A couple modifications were made to my meds and before I wandered away from the appointment they did the usual poke in the arm to draw blood and check numbers.

Later that afternoon Katie listened to the phone messages.

Eek! :-c

"Mister Bear, get to the emergency room immediately! Your potassium and kidney function numbers are at a critical high! Urgent!"

At the emergency room they rushed me into a room, did more blood tests, and pumped saline through me. Finally, near midnight, the on-call doc came in. My numbers had returned to normal. He indicated that the blood draw I had earlier in the day (at my family doc's office) probably poked a red blood cell open, causing the high numbers.

Twice in the past month I have been rushed to the hospital with visions of life coming to an end dancing through my bruinish noggin. Cue the hound dog.

Bear

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Twice in the past month I have been rushed to the hospital with visions of life coming to an end dancing through my bruinish noggin. Cue the hound dog.

Bear

Glad that the good docs got you back under control. You need another 20 years so you can see your Wolverines actually win another championship... :D

Fat Cat

Cyburbian
Fat Cat

I am also glad that you have everything under control and hope that it stays that way:)
Although
On the light side and practically speaking it will probably be 30 years instead of the 20 that Hink said, but then you know how planners count:D

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Update

Getting olde and not being in good health is a royal pain in the ass. Not to mention a financial drain. But, sure beats being named in the Death Pool. :-c:D

Update: Still taking a bunch of meds, some related to heart function, etc. Still get out of breath relatively easy, such as carrying in a bag of groceries. Hard to believe that just a couple years ago I was running up and down a basketball court. Turning 60 killed the Bear. :-c

At the workplace I force myself to do a lot more walking. My weight is getting much better.....went from over 260 (a year or so ago) to under 230 now. More to go, keep walkin'. I always thought that when I crash and burn it would be due to my lymphoma. I do need to get the lump checked, before the New Year (met deductable on health policy).

Some folks say that this Bear is heartless. I do have a ticker. It just sometimes "tocks" when it should be "ticks". Life goes on. Hopefully, because I have some Cyburbian butt-kickin' to do. :-o;)

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I was on Avandia - see previous postings about it's risk - went to get a refill and found out it has been pulled from the retail market.
Dr switched me to Januvia.

Still trying to fiqure out the side affects. :not:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was on Avandia - see previous postings about it's risk - went to get a refill and found out it has been pulled from the retail market.
Dr switched me to Januvia.

Still trying to fiqure out the side affects. :not:

Have fun with that. I made the switch from metformin to glyburide because of the bun in the oven and it was a miserable experience. It forced my blood sugar to crash twice a day which is scary if you've never experienced it. With a switch of doctors I was immediately put on insulin (injections suck) but I like how even my blood sugar is throughout the day and feel much better. It's always a crap shoot because each type of medication works differently and you have to figure out how to eat accordingly so you don't feel like poo and have swinging blood sugar readings. I am surprised that you weren't prescribed Actos which is more closely related to Avandia but without the side effects on heart.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I just saw lawyer's TV ad about Actos & bladder cancer. What a trade off - that or cardiac. :r: :not:

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
2012 Sucks

This year sucks. It has been been one bad news event after another. Last night Katie's sister passed away. She had been in an out of the hospital and a nursing home. Earlier this week she was rushed from the nursing home to the hospital's intensive care ward. On Thursday she was moved back to a regular hospital room but on Friday morning Katie got the call that has been expected for so long now....."The family should come to the hospital. Judy will pass very soon."

Judy's developmentally-disabled daughter, Robin, will be devestated. Robin has been on her own, with multiple-weekly visits by Katie (groceries, etc.). She is capable, at 42 yo, of taking care of herself, somewhat. We will now try to get her moved into an apartment in the Swanton area because Katie's drive to the Judy/Robin apartment in Toledo's inner-suburb, Maumee, is quite lengthy. Katie will be giving the sad news to Robin on Sunday or Monday.
___

Katie's son was just released from the same hospital. He was rushed to the ER on three different occasions this past week because he could not stop vomiting. They ended-up keeping him for tests for a couple days. Looks like just a severe bout of the flu or some such thing.

This Bear was very sick in early January. Missed a few days of work.

Domino, our black and white skinny cat with markings like a shark, died suddenly in February.

Our side yard is all torn-up from the sewer project in Swanton. During the project the contractors accidently pushed sand into our sewer line coming from the house, causing a big sewer back-up in the basement. The entire tile floor had to be ripped-up and a new floor put down. (Trying to get the village to pay for this!)
___

Like I said, 2012 sucks.

Bear

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Wow, Bear, that sucks. I can only hope it gets better.

2012 seems to be a bad year all around. Mrs. Cardinal has been in rehab for a year after surgery on her leg due to a car accident. The doctors are now saying they only expect it to return to about 75% of normal. Her mother is going into the hospital for major surgery in April. My father is having heart problems and will need surgery as well. Our baby girl (dog) who has been with us for 13 years was diagnosed with cancer and is expected to pass by summer.

Considering the way things are going, maybe there is something to the December 21, 2012 predictions. If not, I'll be looking forward to a better 2013.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
BUN, I'm so sorry for your losses. It has been a difficult year. {{hugs}}

Cardinal, sorry for your family's health issues too.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Bear and Cardinal: I'm so sorry for your hard times and hope the rest of 2012 is better for you and yours.