• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free (as in "free beer"). It's easy to join in!

Life-Threatening Illness & Reality Check

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Been thinking about you all day, bud. I'll lift one for ya at Loma's regardless. Keep on fighting!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I'm left without words, BUN and can't add to what others have said.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Regardless what the docs say tomorrow, I personally am rooting for the best.

I'll say this, though, Bear Up North, you are fighter. Don't discount the power of the mind to heal and to strengthen. Katie, your son and his family, your business, your fantastic posts to Cyburbia, are all things to fight for. Hell, De Noc isn't finished, dag nabbit! ;)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Regardless what the docs say tomorrow, I personally am rooting for the best.

I'll say this, though, Bear Up North, you are fighter. Don't discount the power of the mind to heal and to strengthen. Katie, your son and his family, your business, your fantastic posts to Cyburbia, are all things to fight for. Hell, De Noc isn't finished, dag nabbit! ;)

I like and what more can I say beyond my fellow expat jerseyboy in the hoosierland's spirit and thoughts to you BEAR.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Now Know More

Katie and I went to my oncologist today (Thursday) to get the "big news".....or at the least, "some news". Some things we now know.....yes, Hodgkin's Lymphoma has returned to this Bear's now-64 years young body. Yes, the University of Michigan Hospital Cancer Center will be my next stop. Yes, it is likely that I will be going through a second bone marrow stem cell transplant. It is considered a STAT situation so we expect to be heading north from NW Ohio within a week or so. My oncologist is sending the latest scan results and the needle biopsy result to U of M. They will call me (quite soon) and set-up an appointment (based on the STAT tag). During that first visit they will go over my health history and (hopefully) provide more info on whether or not the BMSCT is the route. Usually, they do not finalize that route on the first visit. At U of M Hospital CC they have a group of senior physicians who meet a couple times a week to go over individual cases and determine the treatment route. I may be in bed with tubes within a month.

Katie and I were happy with the news. We both knew that it could have been, "Too late, Michael. You have _____ months." Instead the news is "treatment". Yes! :):):):):)

My oncologist did say that this was his first time a cancer patient of his had Hodgkin's Lymphoma return twice, with periods of remission between. In case faithful readers forgot.....

Summer, 1996 - Lump removed, Hodgkin's Lymphoma diagnosed, 4 months of daily radiation.
Remission until about 2004. HL returns.
Chemo, no good results.
High-dose chemo, no good results
January, 2005 - Bone Marrow Stem Cell Transplant
Remission until 2012.
Here we go again.

The BMSCT that I had in 2005 was with my own stem cells.....called "auto-transplant". (Fancier medical term I can't spell.) My oncology doc says this may be the other kind, with a donor. There are some big risks with the donor-type of BMSCT, including a chance of host-donor syndrome, which often can be quite serious. But it also has a big benefit in that the donor's stem cells will be Hodgkin's-Free.

Bottom-line here, folks.....today's news was as good as could be expected. :)

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Stay Postive and Up Beat as you can facing and dealing with this.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Great news, Bear. I've been on the donor list for years but never called. Who knows, stranger things have happened. Hopes, prayers, wishes, positive thoughts and all the rest will continue for you and Katie.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
That is good news Bear! You beat it once you can beat it again. Also just think, you will be right down the street from the big house!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
BUN - I am glad to read that the news was on the good side of things. Even though I don't know you other than your posts on here, and I am by no means one of the long-term Cyburbians, I had been wondering about the diagnosis all day long. I rarely check the boards (or get on a computer at all) once I get home from work for the day but I made sure to check to see if there was an update. I'll be pulling for you. Hopefully you'll be able to watch the game Saturday night in comfort!

kms

Cyburbian
Bear, I was thinking of you this evening and relieved to see your post. I'm glad that you didn't get the worst case news.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Bear,

I am very glad to hear they will treat you, and it was not as bad as it might have been.

Everyone else,

In 1990 I was a bone marrow donor for my brother, who has been cancer free since his treatment. I have been on the national bone marrow donor registry since. Please consider joining and maybe helping one of the world's all-time great planners or anyone else who may be a match. http://marrow.org/Home.aspx

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
Always bet on the Bear. Always. Glad to hear some hopeful news this morning, man!

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reading this with relief. Hang in there BUN!

dw914er

Cyburbian
Yes, you are indeed a fighter BUN. I'm glad it wasn't the worse case news, and I'll be wishing you the best as you begin treatment. :beers:

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
So glad to hear you're still in with a fighting chance Bear. Hope the road ahead is smooth and like that other bear here said "always bet on the bear"!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Really, really appreciate the kind words from everybody, here on Cyburbia and from Cyburbians who also wander Facebook. This Bear is doing more smiling, now. :):):):):)

Bear

Fat Cat

Cyburbian
Fat Cat

Glad to hear that the news was good, considering what it could have been, Prayers are with you and yours:)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Good Blood Lab Numbers -
A1C - 6.9

Cholesterol - 110 - however I am on Lipitor, control my eating (NO dairy & limited red meat), & exercise.
HDL is low below 40
LDL is good below 100

No change in meds - vey happy with that.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good Blood Lab Numbers -
A1C - 6.9

Cholesterol - 110 - however I am on Lipitor, control my eating (NO dairy & limited red meat), & exercise.
HDL is low below 40
LDL is good below 100

No change in meds - vey happy with that.

Doing great! Keep it up :)

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
So, as part of our wellness program at work we were offered the Cardiac Calcium Scoring test. Being 55 too fat and a father that died of a heart attack at 52, I took advantage. That was Tuesday at 2PM. Wednesday morning at 9AM I get a message from my doctor to call right away. I was not too surprised at that so I call. The nurse tells me that my score was high. I say I was not surprised that it was high. She shes no it was HIGH. It seems typical range for this test is 0-400 and 400 is bad. My score 1645 :-c. My doctor made an appointment with the cardiologist for me, that is this morning. I am not overly concerned because I am able to exercise fairly intensely for 30 minutes at a time a few times a week. So I am sure I will at least be having a stress test very soon and perhaps more.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
So, as part of our wellness program at work we were offered the Cardiac Calcium Scoring test. Being 55 too fat and a father that died of a heart attack at 52, I took advantage. That was Tuesday at 2PM. Wednesday morning at 9AM I get a message from my doctor to call right away. I was not too surprised at that so I call. The nurse tells me that my score was high. I say I was not surprised that it was high. She shes no it was HIGH. It seems typical range for this test is 0-400 and 400 is bad. My score 1645 :-c. My doctor made an appointment with the cardiologist for me, that is this morning. I am not overly concerned because I am able to exercise fairly intensely for 30 minutes at a time a few times a week. So I am sure I will at least be having a stress test very soon and perhaps more.

Good luck giff. At least you weren't completely suprised by the results.

beach_bum

Cyburbian

We have those types of screening for our employees too and some have had situations like yours arise since we started them. Not only has the program kept our health insurance rates down, but lives have been potentially saved. Good luck to you as you move forward towards good health!

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member

Even if not surprising, it is good to know, and better to be careful. Hopefully they will be able to get you something to get the number in a more reason zone.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Thanks for the thoughts. Passed a stress test and went home with a bottle of Lipitor. See the cardiologist in 3 months.

Tide

Cyburbian
Headed up to NJ to likely say good-bye to my 94 year old grandpa. We were just planning his 95th Birthday for next month, to all travel to NJ and have a big shindig at the VFW, but he won't make it. The Dr. has given him 48 hours from today after a small heart attack has gotten worse since last week. I want to see him one last time but I have no idea what to say or how to act :(

otterpop

Cyburbian
My brother sent me an e-mail telling me that my mom (age 87) is in the hospital. She fell and broke her hip and needed surgery. Surgery had to be delayed because her blood clotting test was too high and her blood pressure was too low. Because of the low blood pressure they can't give her pain killers. :-c So surgery has been postponed until tomorrow afternoon.

And me, I am 2,500 miles away. Bad son. My big brother headed over to the hospital this afternoon

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Headed up to NJ to likely say good-bye to my 94 year old grandpa. We were just planning his 95th Birthday for next month, to all travel to NJ and have a big shindig at the VFW, but he won't make it. The Dr. has given him 48 hours from today after a small heart attack has gotten worse since last week. I want to see him one last time but I have no idea what to say or how to act :(

I went through similar situations with dying grandparents. Basically, just be there and go with what your heart is telling you to do. There is no way to prepare your actions. You also won't know what you are feeling until you are there. Hang in there. It sucks at first, but gets better.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went through similar situations with dying grandparents. Basically, just be there and go with what your heart is telling you to do. There is no way to prepare your actions. You also won't know what you are feeling until you are there. Hang in there. It sucks at first, but gets better.

Ditto. Have a safe drive Tide.

kms

Cyburbian

You'll know what to say and how to act. Have a safe trip.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member

Just get there and enjoy whatever time you have left. Be in the moment.

Tide

Cyburbian
Update: Got in to see my grandpa yesterday for 2 hours and my wife went for 1 hour today. He's doing well, fully alert, in pain, but stable.

So here's how this went down. The hospital doctor who is my grandpa's number 2 (primary doctor for the past 25 years was out earlier this week) told my dad to rally the family he only has 24-78 hours. Primary doc came back this morning and lambasted the other doctor and nurses for basically neglecting my grandpa and giving up on him. The primary doctor thinks with a minor procedure and rehab he could be home in a month. Wow, that's not what I had prepared myself for.

We'll probably be headed home in a day or two depending on any changes in his condition. Glad we came and glad we could see him for potentially the last time. Next time we see him will likely be for his 95th birthday or at his funeral.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Update: Got in to see my grandpa yesterday for 2 hours and my wife went for 1 hour today. He's doing well, fully alert, in pain, but stable.

So here's how this went down. The hospital doctor who is my grandpa's number 2 (primary doctor for the past 25 years was out earlier this week) told my dad to rally the family he only has 24-78 hours. Primary doc came back this morning and lambasted the other doctor and nurses for basically neglecting my grandpa and giving up on him. The primary doctor thinks with a minor procedure and rehab he could be home in a month. Wow, that's not what I had prepared myself for.

We'll probably be headed home in a day or two depending on any changes in his condition. Glad we came and glad we could see him for potentially the last time. Next time we see him will likely be for his 95th birthday or at his funeral.

Wow, something good! A guardian angel is with your family right now for sure.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Great news, Tide!

I spent Tuesday at the hospital with my family. My father had a hip replaced a few weeks ago. He passed out doing physical therapy and they discovered that one of his heart valves was failing badly, so it was time for heart surgery. It went alright and he is recovering nicely. The whole family was scared, though.

Tide

Cyburbian
Grandpa passed away last night. He got to hospice care for about 5 hours. I know his last goal was to not die in the hospital. He suffered 3 heart attacks in the past 3 weeks, but the man kept hanging in there and was completely lucid and conversational up until the last days. The world is a little dimmer today, we lost a good one. He was a man whose actions spoke louder than his words and that is rare these days.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Sorry for your loss, Tide. You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm so sorry for your family's loss. From what you've told us he was a great man and will be missed.