• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Life-Threatening Illness & Reality Check

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
My condolences as well, Tide. So good that you got to spend quality time with him before he passed.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
So sorry to hear about his passing, Tide. No matter how long the life it always seems like it is too soon to say goodbye.

Planit

Cyburbian
Tide - our thoughts & prayers are withyou buddy.
You'll remember that last trip for a long time and it will make you smile.

kms

Cyburbian
I'm having Moh's procedure on the tip of my nose tomorrow. About a month ago, a fleshy thing grew in that location, and it grew fast. The biopsy showed that it could be cancer, so the area will be excised tomorrow. As long as they don't decide that a hole punch is the best implement, I should be OK and cancer-free.

One of the contractors asked what the doctor's long term instructions will be, which is sunscreen and a hat from now on. He suggested that I wear a pair of gag glasses that have a nose attached to shade my nose. :p

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I'm having Moh's procedure on the tip of my nose tomorrow. About a month ago, a fleshy thing grew in that location, and it grew fast. The biopsy showed that it could be cancer, so the area will be excised tomorrow. As long as they don't decide that a hole punch is the best implement, I should be OK and cancer-free.

One of the contractors asked what the doctor's long term instructions will be, which is sunscreen and a hat from now on. He suggested that I wear a pair of gag glasses that have a nose attached to shade my nose. :p

Good luck tomorrow! My dad recently had something similar done and besides a weird bandage for a few days he is fine. :)

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

Good Luck

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member

Good luck. The dermatologist wants to do one of those procedures on my ear.

Salmissra

Cyburbian

Ouch! Good luck, and I suggest passing on the gag glasses.

beach_bum

Cyburbian

Skin cancer free is the way to be! Good luck tomorrow and yes, a good thirty sunscreen like CereVe am (found at local drug store) is in order forever.....

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians

I think the gag glasses and/or a big, floppy hat will be completely adorable - but only you can really pull that off. :) Big hugs, kms. Hope all goes well. :)

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member

I have a .5 inch wound on my right shoulder from a procedure last week. It came back clean, Good luck to you.

kms

Cyburbian
Thanks for the well wishes. The procedure went well; I had one Moh's cut. The repair wasn't what I expected. The doctor made an incision along the side of my nose and pulled the skin down and over the original incision. I didn't ask how many stitches but there's going to be a long scar. I have a big bandage for the next few days and my nose hurts. I can only think that the worst is over.

Giff, I'm glad your procedure went well. Ursus, this bandage won't fit under a gag nose.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Good Blood Lab Numbers -
A1C - 7.0

Cholesterol - 101 - however I am on Lipitor, control my eating (NO dairy & limited red meat), & exercise.
HDL is low below 40
LDL is 54

No change in meds - vey happy with that.

Change in health insurance carrier & benefits - now $20 copay for a Dr appt.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Has anybody had Cataract Surgery ?
What was the recovery like ?

DR didn't say how soon but I will need it.

Driving at night is starting to bother me - tell tale sign - oncoming car headlights are star brusts, the worse are those silver/blue one.
Dr said it is age / nearsighted related not so much my diabetes.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Has anybody had Cataract Surgery ?
What was the recovery like ?

DR didn't say how soon but I will need it.

Driving at night is starting to bother me - tell tale sign - oncoming car headlights are star brusts, the worse are those silver/blue one.
Dr said it is age / nearsighted related not so much my diabetes.

I had cataract surgery on one eye about 25 years ago due to an injury related cataract. Had it on a Friday and was back at work on Monday although I had to keep the eye covered part of the time. I understand that it's an even less difficult recovery now. The worst problem I had was a reaction to the anesthetic. You'll also be much more sensitive to light for a while but it's worth it for the improved vision and the way you'll see colors.

otterpop

Cyburbian

Been through that twice. Most recently a month ago. Not fun. Mine were where it didn't show - back and side.

Gag glasses, no. Just go out proudly and rock it like Jack Nicholson did in "Chinatown."

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Went to the DR had an EKG - found some arrhythmia. :not: 8-!
Scheduled for a stress EKG in the morning. :not:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Sorry for late report -
EKG & Echocardiogram were normal for a 55 yo. Apparently it was just another case of GERD.

Blood work was good -
A1c was 6.6
Cholesterol was < 110

No change in my meds.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Sorry for late report -
EKG & Echocardiogram were normal for a 55 yo. Apparently it was just another case of GERD.

Blood work was good -
A1c was 6.6
Cholesterol was < 110

No change in my meds.

I don't know what's normal; is that good? (Keeping fingers crossed...)

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry for late report -

Blood work was good -
A1c was 6.6
Cholesterol was < 110

No change in my meds.

Good job on the A1c and cholesterol! Both are challenging as a diabetic. I need to get some labs done :r:

Otis

Cyburbian
On Thanksgiving eve I got a call from a hospital in Virginia Beach. My 89-year-old mother was having a heart attack. She had emergency open heart surgery that night (double bypass). I flew to Virginia and am there now (I'm the only living family member she has). All went well and she is now in a nursing home for rehab. When she visited us in Oregon last July she complained of indigestion regularly, got tested and got a diagnosis of acid reflux. This is scary stuff.

kms

Cyburbian
Otis, I hope your mother has a speedy recovery. Would she consider moving closer to where you live?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Glad to hear your mom is getting better Otis. I have been through the distance experience as well, though not nearly to the extent you are, and know it is difficult. My family and I are hoping for the best for both you and your family.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
**Somewhat graphic**

As many of you know I recently was hospitalized. After eating a typical california burrito i experienced a lot of adadomen pain. I figured it was just indegistion. Went about my business after a rollaid and trip to the john. The pain got worse so i tried some gas-x and i noticed i had a fever too.. went to sleep. Woke up and still in pain. Decided to take myself to urgent care. After an hour or so at urgent care the doc suggested that it might be something other than food poisoning / virus and recommended an ER visit. At the ER they ran some tests and determined 2 things:

1. I had diverticulitis, which is a digestive disorder where the colon gets pockets and when food gets trapped it can cause inflammation or an infection.
2. My inflammation had gotten so bad it created a small hole in my colon.

That recommendation was to let my bowels rest for 2 days and see if the hole closed on its own. No food and drink and antibodics in the hospital. If that did not work, than they would need to surgically remove a portion of the colon.

2 days passed and they ran a CT scan. My hole was there and bacteria had spread. Emergency surgery was called for. I was in the OR for about 2.5 hours. The doctors removed 6 inches of my colon (the diseased portion), and had to clean up a lot of my vital organs of bacteria because basically "i shit in myself rather than my anus" as my Dr. so bluntly put it. Had I not shown up to the ER when I did, I would have worse damage. They wanted to be conservative about my recovery, so they disconnected my colon and performed a temporary colostomy. So for the short term (3-6 months) I have to pass bowel movements into a bag (I call him Max as a mechanism to coupe with what happened). After time when my colon heals and hardens, I will be put back together, and they will remove the whatever remains of my damaged colon. I will be able to eat what I want, etc. Live normally again.

I have realized a few things while lying in a hospital for 8 days and christmas took a new meaning for me this year. I have a new appreciation for my wife. She has been a rock during this whole thing. All the things I have been bitter or angry about her, wiped away. I couldn't have found a better spouse, friend lover, to give me the strength to get through this. I have had poor eating habits. That has changed. I am thankful for my job, the insurance I have but I need to provide better and deserve better and need to leave my family in better financial shape.

Thank you too all of you who have sent me messages and wished me well. Slowly I am gaining normalcy back in my life. All of you have been a great to turn to for a distraction and have put a good smile on my face.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Raf glad things are coming around. Good thoughts going your way.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Raf, it's funny how serious illnesses provide us with some much needed perspective at times. I'm glad to hear you are doing better.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Raf, thankfully you took didn't take the stubborn route and try to tough it out and went to the doctor when you did. Glad you are feeling better, and have a good perspective on things through all of this.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Get better, Raf, and godspeed on your recovery! We all love your presence here in Cyburbia.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
I'm so glad you're going to get better, Raf. We just love you.

DVD

Cyburbian
Glad to hear you're getting better. I feel bad betraying people who aren't feeling well.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Raf, thankfully you took didn't take the stubborn route and try to tough it out and went to the doctor when you did. Glad you are feeling better, and have a good perspective on things through all of this.

Agreed. Glad you on the road to recovery!

otterpop

Cyburbian
Agreed. Glad you on the road to recovery!

Me too. So glad you caught this problem before it became too too bad and that you are recovering from that health crisis. Take it easy on yourself, give yourself plenty of time to heal up and take care of yourself.

And, I guess most of us should be a little nicer to our wives. They often have to put up with a lot from us and we usually end up getting the better part of the relationship.

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
Speedy recovery Raf!!!

My father in law had a colostomy and he called in Sparky. He also liked to make semi-colon jokes. As for lessons learned take care of your self and watch what youy eat during your time with Max. It will make the next step much easier.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Bend over and take it from a developer/planning commission/client one too many times, Raf? :p

Hope you have a speedy recovery!