• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Life-Threatening Illness & Reality Check

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Not about me, but about a 4 year old named Chad Carr. If the last name sounds familiar, it is because he is the Grandson of former U of M football coach Lloyd Carr.

Recently he was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor and is staying in a wing of the Mott's Children's Hospital that bears the name of his Grandfather.

Here is a link to the story. LINK

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Sitting in cardio ICU to have triple bypass tomorrow morning. Hope I'm not part of the one percent:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Thanks! I felt something and decided to go to the ER. Better than never waking up again. Still scared thp

kms

Cyburbian
I'd be scared, too. You're in the right place; I'm sure you're in good hands there. Let us know how things go.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
It is scary but the folks have been great. Appreciate the concern

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Thoughts and prayers are with you 'dunker. Glad it was caught. Let us know the progress today...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Godspeed to a great recovery, Gedunker. We'll be waiting for your return to Cyburbia.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It is scary but the folks have been great. Appreciate the concern

My wife works in one of those units and says that it is amazing how good doctors are today and what they can do compared to when she was in Nursing School.

Hopefully you will have a fast recovery and be back posting in no time. Until then those of us who pray will pray for you.

My wife works in one of those units and says that it is amazing how good doctors are today and what they can do compared to when she was in Nursing School.
What michaelskis says is so true.....
Gedunker, my lawyer friend is @two decades your senior; he had quadruple bypass surgery six weeks ago and he's already suing people** again!
Wishing you the most painfree and speedy recovery a human can have.

**Suing deadbeat parents for child support.:)

otterpop

Cyburbian
Earlier this week a very nice lady who works on our floor was in a car accident. She was released from the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, went home and yesterday she died.

I liked her. She was a sweet woman who gave computer training and helped us when we had software problems.

The take away is that it could have been you, or me. Any of us. If you make a mistake driving or someone else does, you could be dead. Every day we walk that edge where we could at any moment fall into the forever abyss. A car accident or a slip on an icy sidewalk and it may be finito.

We all know that. But we tell ourselves it won't happen today.

YIKES! :-c

kms

Cyburbian
Earlier this week a very nice lady who works on our floor was in a car accident. She was released from the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, went home and yesterday she died.

I liked her. She was a sweet woman who gave computer training and helped us when we had software problems.

The take away is that it could have been you, or me. Any of us. If you make a mistake driving or someone else does, you could be dead. Every day we walk that edge where we could at any moment fall into the forever abyss. A car accident or a slip on an icy sidewalk and it may be finito.

This is sad.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member

This is really sad. Sorry for the loss otterpop.

We take our lives for granted way too often. I continually remind myself to be the person I want to be remembered as being, because one day I (or the person I am talking with) will be gone. It is really tough. Life is fleeting.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Surgery went well and they got me ecru bated entirely between last night and this evening. Couple hiccups along the way, but recovery trend arc is upward so far

DVD

Cyburbian
If you're good enough to slack around here you're good enough to go back to work!:D

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Surgery went well and they got me ecru bated entirely between last night and this evening. Couple hiccups along the way, but recovery trend arc is upward so far

Great news and best wishes for a steady and complete recovery!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Officially now have all tubes, ports, and lines out of me, with the exception of a bi-port for any emergencies . ATC I feel really good.

kms

Cyburbian
Good to hear! Hope you're home soon. Follow doctor's orders and don't overdo it. Let the family wait on you. :)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Haven't had a lot of pt or occupational therapy so might be mid week before they decide where I am released and when. Will keep you posted. Thanks to my Cyburbia family!

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Haven't had a lot of pt or occupational therapy so might be mid week before they decide where I am released and when. Will keep you posted. Thanks to my Cyburbia family!

Like the other's have said, glad things went as well as they could.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Glad everything went to plan. Here's to another 50+ years ;)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Just took my first walker-assisted walk . Yay. All signs looking to a step- down rehab.

Planit

Cyburbian
Good News 'Dunker!

Our Chief Bldg insp. collapsed this weekend. Long story short, stage 5 brain tumor, 50% chance to survive surgery today & prognosis very low for active normal life once released. Doesn't sound great, but he's a good one and will put up a fight.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Great to hear about the good news, Gedunker. Speedy and good recovery.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glad to hear the surgery went well Gedunker! Speedy healing wishes sent your way.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Got word that I will be sent home tomorrow, probably with just oxygen (I'm having difficulty maintaining 100% rate, why they don't exactly know). Ready to come home and start the real recovery. Love all you guys!i

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Home is the best place to complete the healing process. All the best.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Got word that I will be sent home tomorrow, probably with just oxygen (I'm having difficulty maintaining 100% rate, why they don't exactly know). Ready to come home and start the real recovery. Love all you guys!i

Great news, hope the breathing thing works itself out.

DVD

Cyburbian

Good to hear, take it easy. You won't get another excuse like this to take some time off - at least you better not.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome news! Wishing you a speedy recovery. Rest up.