• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Life-Threatening Illness & Reality Check

otterpop

Cyburbian
Had another skin cancer biopsy. 8-! :( on my neck.

JNA,

Hope yours turned out okay. I had a dodgey mole removed from my neck and biopsed last Friday. Still waiting on the results. Not too worried. Pretty sure this time it is not malignant.

I just hate the routine (my third time). 1) Dermatologist removes dodgey skin aberration; 2) Wait for biopsy; 3) If it comes up cancerous, then, just about the time you've healed from the biopsy, your surgeon is doing a more extensive surgery to remove any possible margins and possibly a lymph node removal; and 4) a few days of rest at home with painkillers (actually I liked the hydrocodone - gives me great dreams - and one of the few times in my life I get a lot of sleep).

At the end I feel about it like I typically feel - like I've been nicked by a bullet. I didn't get hit hard, just enough so it stings a lot for a while. Yeah, I had cancer twice and I'm sure I will again, but I experienced only a few weeks of feeling sore. No chemo or radiation. No loss of limbs or organs.

There are plenty of people who've had it much, much worse. I know a guy who has pancreatic cancer. He's sick. Likely will die of it soon. Me, I will be okay.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Neck biopsy came back as non cancerous or precancerous.
But once you have been treated (looked over, biopsied, several spots liquid nitrogen frozen & one spot excised) you are on a 6 month appointment cycle.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Neck biopsy came back as non cancerous or precancerous.
But once you have been treated (looked over, biopsied, several spots liquid nitrogen frozen & one spot excised) you are on a 6 month appointment cycle.

I'm on a three-month appointment cycle. Seems like the dr. finds something to biopsy every fourth visit or so. If I could go 18 months without anything hinkey she might let me go to every six months. Maybe I am just a cash, um, bull, or maybe she just likes seeing me naked. :p

Veloise

Cyburbian
Free advice re: procedures

Just had my second (and final) CTS release today, and while we're at it, three trigger fingers (one on the wrist hand, two on the other). So I am typing impaired. I made several mistakes, here's a helpful list.

-- Left my analgesics at the house I've moved from, had to go back and get them. Should have started them while in prep.

-- Ran out of chocolate.

-- Left my fabric cool packs at the other house. They are so much nicer than ice packs, with about ten-20 degrees of cooling. Since I used freezer ice packs, my hands got too cold, and they hurt, not from the surgery.

-- Elastic waistbands are a win, but I wish I had on a rubber-trimmed shirt to provide another gripping surface. Using the hold-item-against-the-counter routine.

-- Keeping a pair of latex gloves ready near the plumbing, easier to rinse those than the fresh incisions.

Fortunately, there's no snow to shovel, or ice to slide on, and the houseguest got my new garage in parkable shape this afternoon.

Looking forward to some pain-free cycling and music playing after healing...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Just had my second (and final) CTS release today, and while we're at it, three trigger fingers (one on the wrist hand, two on the other). So I am typing impaired. I made several mistakes, here's a helpful list.

-- Left my analgesics at the house I've moved from, had to go back and get them. Should have started them while in prep.

-- Ran out of chocolate.

-- Left my fabric cool packs at the other house. They are so much nicer than ice packs, with about ten-20 degrees of cooling. Since I used freezer ice packs, my hands got too cold, and they hurt, not from the surgery.

-- Elastic waistbands are a win, but I wish I had on a rubber-trimmed shirt to provide another gripping surface. Using the hold-item-against-the-counter routine.

-- Keeping a pair of latex gloves ready near the plumbing, easier to rinse those than the fresh incisions.

Fortunately, there's no snow to shovel, or ice to slide on, and the houseguest got my new garage in parkable shape this afternoon.

Looking forward to some pain-free cycling and music playing after healing...

If this happened to my wife, it would result in serious crisis mode.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
My public works director's wife had surgery on a broken leg. She had complications, partially a result from also having some COPD... infection leading to pneumonia & other illnesses... leading to coma for the last 4 days. It doesn't look good.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Lab before DR appt

A1c was 6.8
Cholesterol was < 100, HDL is not high enough

Hopefully no change in my meds.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Just learned that the assessor whom I share an office with, found out on Tuesday that her husband has cancer and it doesn't look good. It sounds like he does not want to bother fighting it because it has already caused so many issues, that he lost about 100 pounds in the past two months. If they can't do surgery to remove the tumor in his neck making it hard to eat, he is going to just let it take it's course and enjoy the time he does have with his family.

She is doing very well given the situation but it sounds like her kids (all of whom are older than me) are not taking it so well.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I just learned that Chad Carr, Grandson of former Michigan Football Coach Lloyd Carr, passed away from a pediatric brain tumor this afternoon. The was the reason you saw Chad Tough stickers on the OSU and MSU helmets this past weekend and was scheduled to be on college game day this coming weekend.

Cancer is a horrible thing, but it is even worse when it takes the life of a 5 year old. :-@

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lab work for Dr appt.

A1c was 6.8
Cholesterol was < 130

You are doing good friend!

I have crossed over into the land of insulin because the first line drugs are no longer effective, diet isn't enough, and I'm allergic to the second line drugs.Hopefully my next round of labs shows improvements.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Diagnosed with frozen shoulder about 4 weeks ago, told prepare for up to 1-2 years of painful physical therapy and recovery.

Shot a 94 over the weekend after not playing for 2 years. :h:

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Diagnosed with frozen shoulder about 4 weeks ago, told prepare for up to 1-2 years of painful physical therapy and recovery.

I tripped over a curb back in May, tore my shoulder up, doc says she's 90% I'll need Rotator Cuff surgery. MRI is in the works to tell for sure. Being old sucks....

Planit

Cyburbian

I tripped over a curb back in May, tore my shoulder up, doc says she's 90% I'll need Rotator Cuff surgery. MRI is in the works to tell for sure. Being old sucks....

Crap, I messed mine up over a year ago and never had it taken care of then. I'll probably have to do something about it at some point in time. It still hurts to throw a baseball (not that I need to do that on a daily basis).

TOFB

Cyburbian
Crap, I messed mine up over a year ago and never had it taken care of then. I'll probably have to do something about it at some point in time. It still hurts to throw a baseball (not that I need to do that on a daily basis).
At its peak it was the worst pain I've ever experienced (yah I know I have never given birth). I shouldn't have told my PT I golfed Saturday. She worked the hell out of me today.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Well, it's going to be surgery for me next week. Complete Rotator Cuff tear, along with some minor damage and wear. I'll be doing everything left handed for about six weeks after.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Well, it's going to be surgery for me next week. Complete Rotator Cuff tear, along with some minor damage and wear. I'll be doing everything left handed for about six weeks after.

My FIL is just a couple of weeks free of the sling from that - you have my sympathy. Keep up with the PT afterwards...

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

And what's so difficult about doing things left handed? This coming from a lefty. Just kidding and good luck with the surgery.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Drinking beer is very difficult left handed - - - I suggest considerable practice.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Crap! I had better get started.

I find the 5 finger clinch might be the best approach... but I would suggest exploring multiple methods. It might not be a bad idea to mount a bottle opener to the wall to make one handed openings easier too.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I find the 5 finger clinch might be the best approach... but I would suggest exploring multiple methods. It might not be a bad idea to mount a bottle opener to the wall to make one handed openings easier too.

Right or left handed, this make everything easier. We have a bucket to catch the bottle caps too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bubba

Cyburbian
My sister is undergoing a biopsy this morning (actually, it's probably over by now) that will probably confirm an initial diagnosis of...lymphoma. She was fairly upbeat when I talked to her last night, but my mother is hysterical. I'm just waiting for word on a firm diagnosis and treatment plan.

38 years young. Damn.

Dear god, my sister is a tough chick. Hodgkin's survivor, recently diagnosed with breast cancer probably fonking caused by the fonking radiation treatment for her lymphoma, underwent a fonking double mastectomy two weeks ago, and is going back under the knife again this morning because of complications from that surgery. She was very upbeat last night.

Fuck cancer.

DVD

Cyburbian
Dear god, my sister is a tough chick. Hodgkin's survivor, recently diagnosed with breast cancer probably fonking caused by the fonking radiation treatment for her lymphoma, underwent a fonking double mastectomy two weeks ago, and is going back under the knife again this morning because of complications from that surgery. She was very upbeat last night.

Fuck cancer.

Agreed, and we'll all be supporting her.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
cancerd.png

Bubba

Cyburbian
Agreed, and we'll all be supporting her.

Much appreciated.

Surgery #2 went very well, and she could be home as early as tomorrow. I'll be hanging out at her house for a few days once she gets home - not that she needs any help in her mind, but someone needs to tote stuff that needs toting (she's 93 pounds soaking wet and coming off her second major surgery in two weeks, for pete's sake) and help wrangle the steady stream of church folks bringing over food.

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Surgery #2 went very well, and she could be home as early as tomorrow.

That's great to hear. Hope her recovery goes rapidly and that the big C stays away afterwards for good.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Much appreciated.

Surgery #2 went very well, and she could be home as early as tomorrow. I'll be hanging out at her house for a few days once she gets home - not that she needs any help in her mind, but someone needs to tote stuff that needs toting (she's 93 pounds soaking wet and coming off her second major surgery in two weeks, for pete's sake) and help wrangle the steady stream of church folks bringing over food.

I'm glad she came through the second surgery well. Hope this is the start to a smooth recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Much appreciated.

Will keep my fingers crossed for her! And you - the church folks mean well but they have a tendency to camp out at a house in need. Kick them out if needed - your sister needs her rest!

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Just found my first cousin in in Hospice at Sloan Kettering in Manhattan rn. Cancer came back and spread to her brain and lungs and it is very terminal.

I am beside myself, she's only 32.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Thanks for the kind words, it means allot.

She made the transition to the after-life (I like to believe that there is something better) this morning and I'm flying down to NYC to be at the funeral.

1984-2016, way too young.

#fuckcancer

Planit

Cyburbian

She made the transition to the after-life (I like to believe that there is something better) this morning and I'm flying down to NYC to be at the funeral.

#fuckcancer

T- I'm so very sad to hear the news, but she doesn't have to deal with that shit anymore. Thoughts & prayers are with you buddy.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member

#fuckcancer

Sorry to hear it Terminator. Thoughts and prayers are with you and the family.

DVD

Cyburbian
Sorry to hear it. Cancer needs to get its ass kicked for messing with anyone so young.

Bubba

Cyburbian

Fuck cancer.

She's starting chemo this week; precautionary more than anything this time on the 30% chance the scalpel didn't get all of the cancerous cells. Got my head shaved yesterday so she won't be the only bald person in the family.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
She's starting chemo this week; precautionary more than anything this time on the 30% chance the scalpel didn't get all of the cancerous cells. Got my head shaved yesterday so she won't be the only bald person in the family.

I always admire it when friends/family do that as a symbol of support.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member

You area good brother, Bubba. I'm sending good thoughts to your sister and I wish her well.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

Way to stay strong for and with her !

Bubba said:
Fuck cancer.

Agreed

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian

#fuckcancer

Sorry to hear T. :(

I haven't been here for a while so I missed this announcement when it was first posted. If it's any comfort, I have fond memories or reading your contribution to my "Songs That Take You Back: thread. I hardly know you at all despite being on this site for more than 17 years but I find you to be an invaluable addition to this board.