• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Life-Threatening Illness & Reality Check

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I hardly know you at all despite being on this site for more than 17 years but I find you to be an invaluable addition to this board.

Terminator's a breath of fresh air. New blood as it were. But yeah, he needs work with the whole 'responsible-appearing-adult' thing. ;) (I have great confidence in him, though)

Veloise

Cyburbian
Senior stuff, updating That File

Last week I lost my closest relative from my father's generation, his cousin. Known her my whole life (I'm her right-hand gal).

IMG_20150719_085547310_HDR.jpg

And I came up with a few good practices.

--Last requests. Put them in writing and where the Power of Attorney designee can easily find. Her POA (a distant relative of her late husband) told me he wasn't sure that she wanted cremation, etc.

--If you decide to call an ambulance to take you to a hospital, first send an e-mail and copy lots of people. This 85-yo did, and it's been helpful to communicate with her list of CCs.

--Compose your obituary pre-need. I did this when my mama was getting sick, and she signed off on it...subsequently I faxed (!!) it to a local paper and they used it as their own. Dear ol' dad: the same.
Her POA wrote up something that omits many facets of her life, and I'm enhancing it. Her database coordinator digitized her Christmas card list last year, and they'll soon get an official mailing.

--While a senior living complex might be a good plan for some, it's very pricey. (I was looking for info on their guest rooms, and stumbled across their fees. $3000+ a month for meals and the fitness center and the fellowship ... wow.)

--Avoid funeral homes. The place told her POA that he couldn't order up cremation due to a new Michigan law (which is a falsehood). Also that no rental caskets were available, so he went ahead and paid for one. (It's helpful to research the cremation process when you're not actively in need of it. They are going to re-use that box.) I was told that their meeting took THREE HOURS -- I've had shyster sell-ya-plastic-replacement-windows that took less time than that.

--If you don't have children, make your own family.

--Stay in touch with your relatives. I had ramped down my outreach to her during the political season, and now I'm wishing I'd gone to see her a couple more times this fall.

--Read hotel reviews before booking on a discount site. The place I stayed Monday night...jeeze, WSU UP, can I park in your driveway and sleep in my car?!?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Blood work up for Dr appt -the important numbers being

A1C was 6.9 - the only number Dr is concerned about
Total Cholesterol was <120

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I must be doing some right -

Blood work up for Dr appt -the important numbers being

A1C was 6.8 - the only number Dr is concerned about
Total Cholesterol was <110 - HDL is still low

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Saturday was the Christmas party for the extended family on my dad's side. We decided to skip it because it wasn't starting until early evening and we would have driven 45 minutes to get there and then needed to turn around and drive home after just 30 minutes or so to get home and get the baby to sleep (we're big on keeping them on those early bed times!).

I'm glad we didn't go because I don't think I would have wanted my kids to witness the ensuing scene: When one of my cousins arrived he immediately started showing signs of paralysis on one side of his body and nearly collapsed. Another cousins husband is a Detroit firefighter and trained EMT and immediately started to help him out while somebody else called 911. His blood pressure was through the roof and by the time the paramedics arrived a couple minutes later he was completely paralyzed on one side and could no longer talk or see. They got him to the hospital and found that some blood vessels had burst and he had bleeding on the brain. He went into surgery and they put a shunt in but, last I heard yesterday, his condition hadn't improved much and they will probably have to do another today to try again to get the bleeding under control.

He's only in his mid 40s but he's probably a good 80lbs overweight, heavy smoker and drinker, horrible diet, and I cannot imagine he's very physically active. He's had liver problems for the past few years and spent a few months in the hospital close to death in 2013 or 2014 and just spent a few weeks in the hospital in October and November for various related health problems. Once he had come around enough Saturday, he was able to tell the doctor that he hadn't taken his blood pressure medication that day or the past couple days. His doctor told his dad that based on his blood pressure numbers and some blood tests, he probably hadn't taken his medication for a week+.

So now we sit and wait to see if they can improve his situation. I imagine that the best case scenario is that they can get the bleeding under control and the blood pressure situation handled and he'll probably have to undergo some physical therapy for some time. The worst case scenario is that they cannot get it under control and it ends up killing him.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Terminator's a breath of fresh air. New blood as it were. But yeah, he needs work with the whole 'responsible-appearing-adult' thing. ;) (I have great confidence in him, though)

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA how did I not reply to this in '16?

Responsible Appearing Adult? Nope. I'm a poor Millennial Hipster with my life up in the air while I wait for my Canadian immigration to be approved.

Not life threatening, but I am dealing with mental illness right now, but I have been since age 16, so nothing new.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Saturday was the Christmas party for the extended family on my dad's side. We decided to skip it because it wasn't starting until early evening and we would have driven 45 minutes to get there and then needed to turn around and drive home after just 30 minutes or so to get home and get the baby to sleep (we're big on keeping them on those early bed times!).

I'm glad we didn't go because I don't think I would have wanted my kids to witness the ensuing scene: When one of my cousins arrived he immediately started showing signs of paralysis on one side of his body and nearly collapsed. Another cousins husband is a Detroit firefighter and trained EMT and immediately started to help him out while somebody else called 911. His blood pressure was through the roof and by the time the paramedics arrived a couple minutes later he was completely paralyzed on one side and could no longer talk or see. They got him to the hospital and found that some blood vessels had burst and he had bleeding on the brain. He went into surgery and they put a shunt in but, last I heard yesterday, his condition hadn't improved much and they will probably have to do another today to try again to get the bleeding under control.

He's only in his mid 40s but he's probably a good 80lbs overweight, heavy smoker and drinker, horrible diet, and I cannot imagine he's very physically active. He's had liver problems for the past few years and spent a few months in the hospital close to death in 2013 or 2014 and just spent a few weeks in the hospital in October and November for various related health problems. Once he had come around enough Saturday, he was able to tell the doctor that he hadn't taken his blood pressure medication that day or the past couple days. His doctor told his dad that based on his blood pressure numbers and some blood tests, he probably hadn't taken his medication for a week+.

So now we sit and wait to see if they can improve his situation. I imagine that the best case scenario is that they can get the bleeding under control and the blood pressure situation handled and he'll probably have to undergo some physical therapy for some time. The worst case scenario is that they cannot get it under control and it ends up killing him.

Oh no!! I will pray for your cuz.

I was 65 lbs overweight until this summer, now I am 42lbs over. My diet was pretty bad in Montreal - smoked meat, snacks, vegan wings and no exercise. Ive cut out all fast food, go to the gym at least twice a week and I feel so much better. I need to find a GP that takes my Medicaid to get my cholesterol checked.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Yesterday, my elected boss held a press conference in our office to publicly announce that he was recently diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer and will not be seeking re-election. He's a regionally divisive figure and he might have differing political opinions than many of the people on his professional staff but he has been a great boss to work for and is a pretty nice guy. He's also 80+ years old, and has been in relatively poor health since a car accident left him in a wheelchair for the most part since 2013. He was looking pretty frail at the press conference yesterday so even though he wasn't stepping down, it definitely felt like a goodbye, at least to the media that had gathered.

___

^^^ They couldn't stop the bleeding in my cousin's brain and he died.

Take your medications people!

A positive follow up to my cousin's death: One of my brothers is a couple of years older than my cousin was and they were sort of close. My brother has had some relatively minor health problems over the years and also had absolutely HORRIBLE teeth. He smokes and drinks about a gallon of Mt. Dew a day and I don't think he had gone to a dentist in years. His teeth were disgusting. When our cousin died, I think he took that as a wake up call to start taking care of himself and he made a few appointments with dentists and oral surgeons. They weren't able to really do anything with the existing teeth but ended up ripping them all out and replacing them with dental implants so as of last summer he has all new teeth that he seems to be taking care of.

It's a small thing but oral hygiene is important as severe periodontitis can lead to heart disease, strokes, and heart attacks so I'm glad that he finally did something about his teeth. It's just too bad it took the death of a cousin to act as a catalyst for that change.

Bubba

Cyburbian
It's a small thing but oral hygiene is important as severe periodontitis can lead to heart disease, strokes, and heart attacks...

I'll second this - my BIL is dealing with health problems caused in part by ignoring his teeth for years and years.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The ex just told me one of her friends - a woman I liked a lot but lost touch with in part because of the divorce - has been diagnosed with Stage 4 melanoma that has already spread to her brain. The prognosis is bleak. She is in her early 50s and her husband is disabled due to complications from diabetes. They have two fairly young kids.

Cancer is a horrible scourge.