• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Life-Threatening Illness & Reality Check

zman

Cyburbian
Wit my frustrating weekend, the sund of your return and successful health mademe feel better.
Good to have you back, buddy. :-D

JNL

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
Katie says that for a couple of days I was saying things that didn't make sense.......
What, like stuff about clubes and laefests and throbbing brians perhaps? :-D

Good to have you back :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
It's good to hear that you are feeling better... we were all wondering how you are doing. Keep in touch, we're like a bunch of mother hens here you know. ;)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Good to heard from you again Bear! And yes, the site was down this week, and came back up yesterday. We were in a temporary forum in the meantime.
We missed you. Hope everything turns for the best for you! :)

Rem

Cyburbian
It is pleasing to see your posts here again Bear. I hope your recovery continues to go well.

nighthawk1959

Cyburbian
Bear, Good to hear from you. Glad you made it this far and will make it further. The chemo cocktails can be a real pain though. Mine were nowhere near what you have had to endure so I only have the faintest idea of what you have endured but you are still in my prayers and thoughts.

SGB

Cyburbian
Godspeed on your continued recovery, Bear.

bear1.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Bear, that's good news! Great to have you back.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Been Home A Week

Well, this ole' Bear has been home one (1) week, having escaped from captivity at the University of Wolverines Cancer Center.

Feeling OK. Once in a while, usually later in the evening, I have a low-grade fever, but nothing over 101-degrees. I have to take a bunch of different medicines, including a twice a day horse-size pill to prevent "Shingles". Shingles is common in bone marrow transplant people so they get us on it right away and I will be on it for a year.

I still have no energy but that will come back.

Once again, a giant "thanx" to all who said nice things while I was enduring my treatment.

Bear :-D

MitchBaby

Cyburbian
Despite not being on the forum for that long, all the best Bear, it sounds like you are doing pretty damn well all things considered. So, from this Canadian Planner - way to go and its good to know that you are feeling better...

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Yes, Escaping From House!

Yes, this Bear is finally going to get the hexx out of this house. Ahhhhhhhh......!

Sad to say, we are going to a funeral home. The father of one (1) of my Supervisors passed away, after a long life (94 years). I will be wearing my mask and it will be good to get away from this place.....even if for only a little while.

My temperature still spikes to a low-grade fever every night. Still having trouble sleeping. Long-term sleep is but a distant memory. Now my sleep comes in short bites.

Starting tomorrow I will be forcing myself to walk on the ole' walking machine. My plan is to start small and add a little bit each day. When I reach the 100-days-after-transplant mark I hope to be at three (3) miles.

To be honest, just walking from the living room to the kitchen wears me out. The transplant took a lot out of me and it is now up to me to rebuild my stamina.

Seeing the doc on Friday, to count numbers. Having another Kitty-Scan next week.

Maybe get back to the office, on a part-time basis, within a few weeks.

Drinking Redi-Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Yes, it was great to get the hexx out of the house on Wednesday night. Went to the office, chatted a bit with 2nd shifters. Then we went to the funeral home. Then we stopped at Meijer's and Katie went in and bought some stuff while I waited in the truck, listening to oldies on the radio.

Baby Bear Steps

Awesome!

If you can, try to shower before going to bed after being out and about. It will help protect your compromised immune system. Inadvertently contaminating your bedding and then sleeping it in 8+ hours a day is a great way to stay sick. :-c

Er, not that you asked or anything. :-$

SGB

Cyburbian
Glad to hear that you are able to get out and about, Bear.

Keep those spirits up, and keep on keepin' on! :)

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Update, Tuesday, 2-15-05

Enjoying delicous breakfast/lunch drink of barium. Yum! Drinking this crap for a Cat-Scan, scheduled this afternoon, Flower Hospital, Sylvania, OH.

They want to do a comparison of this cat with a cat I had just prior-to my admission for the bone marrow transplant.

I get to drink some more barium in about an hour. When I arrive, they will give me two (2) more tall glasses. Yum! Yum!

Glow Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Pennsylvania senator Arlen Specter (R) announced that he has Hodgkin's Lymphoma. That's the same as this Bear.

He had some lumps (same as Bear). He had tests, including MRI and PET scans (same as Bear). He shows no cancer in the bone marrow (not quite the same as Bear).

He will be undergoing the chemo treatment called ABVD (same as Bear).

Based on this news, I plan to notify the senator that I will go ahead and collect his pension, since we have so much in common. I may also change a few of his votes.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Anybody remember the song "Almost Cut My Hair", by Crosby, Stills, & Nash?

As you probably remember, this Bear again lost MOST of his noggin hair when I had the high-dose chemotherapy at the beginning of the bone marrow transplant process.

Problem is.....I didn't lose all of it this time. The hair on the sides of my head stayed and now I look like Bozo The Clown. We can't shave it because of low platelet counts (thus the possibility of a slice on the head being a major bleeding experience).

This morning Katie is going to trim it.....being ever so gentle. I'm starting to get out of the house a little more often so I want to exit-stage-left (snagglepuss?) not looking like some clown from TV.

"Good morning, kiddies. See my big feet? Did you drink your milk this morning?"

Bear With Corn Rows, Now An NBC Mini-Series :-c

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
Anybody remember the song "Almost Cut My Hair", by Crosby, Stills, & Nash?

As you probably remember, this Bear again lost MOST of his noggin hair when I had the high-dose chemotherapy at the beginning of the bone marrow transplant process.

Problem is.....I didn't lose all of it this time. The hair on the sides of my head stayed and now I look like Bozo The Clown. We can't shave it because of low platelet counts (thus the possibility of a slice on the head being a major bleeding experience).

This morning Katie is going to trim it.....being ever so gentle. I'm starting to get out of the house a little more often so I want to exit-stage-left (snagglepuss?) not looking like some clown from TV.

"Good morning, kiddies. See my big feet? Did you drink your milk this morning?"

Bear With Corn Rows, Now An NBC Mini-Series :-c

Have you thought about using clippers to buzz it down?

Good to hear that your doing better! When you feel better, we will have to meet up in the UP for a beverage and a pastie!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
michaelskis said:
When you feel better, we will have to meet up in the UP for a beverage and a pastie!

Hey, I'm there, dude! Count me in.

If all goes well with testing, etc, in the next few months, I will be planning on getting up north in mid-summer. Yes......pasties sound great.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Oddly enough, one (1) of the side effects of chemotherapy is jagged fingernails. Every day I am filing my nails (or cutting them) and every day another jagged spot shows up. This morning it is my left index finger. Time to take a break and go look for the package of filing boards.

Nighthawk.....you went through chemo......has this been a problem with you?

Allanis Moreofbear

Groovy Iguana

Hi Bear - I just joined a little while ago. My cousin was diagnosed with Hodgkin's 3 years ago. At the time he was given a year to live. Not so, thank the powers that be. He has received three stem cell transplants (I guess they're fairly risky?), two from his brother, but then they had to do one from an unrelated donor because his brother was too close a match. In April, he was given three months to live, but then they decided to go ahead with the third stem cell transplant because hey, why not? The cancer's still there, and he still goes through chemo and all, but there's hope!

He got married in July to his girlfriend of 5 years (he's 28 now). It was a beautiful and very life-affirming ceremony. More tears than usual at a wedding!

I ran a half-marathon last fall to raise money for the Leukemia-Lymphoma Society. That was so inspiring - there were many survivors running as well, and they all beat the pants off me! (I'm very slow, but I get there)!

Best of luck, Bear. -Groovy

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Groovy Iguana said:
Hi Bear - I just joined a little while ago. My cousin was diagnosed with Hodgkin's 3 years ago. At the time he was given a year to live. Not so, thank the powers that be. He has received three stem cell transplants (I guess they're fairly risky?), two from his brother, but then they had to do one from an unrelated donor because his brother was too close a match. In April, he was given three months to live, but then they decided to go ahead with the third stem cell transplant because hey, why not? The cancer's still there, and he still goes through chemo and all, but there's hope!

He got married in July to his girlfriend of 5 years (he's 28 now). It was a beautiful and very life-affirming ceremony. More tears than usual at a wedding!

I ran a half-marathon last fall to raise money for the Leukemia-Lymphoma Society. That was so inspiring - there were many survivors running as well, and they all beat the pants off me! (I'm very slow, but I get there)!

Best of luck, Bear. -Groovy

Thanx for the nice words. The very best of luck and prayers to your cousin.

Bear

nighthawk1959

Cyburbian
Bear, I don't remember the nail issue, but then my nails have always been hard enough to use as tools. When they break, it is not just a little jagged edge but a major pain as it is usually to the quick. Best of luck and hope things are looking well for you.

jaswant_icke

Cyburbian
Your story is very interesting, i shouldn't say story, more like experience. Hope you get better, is there any way i can contribute??? *Newbie Alert*

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Week of Feb 28.....

Actually getting a bit tired of being home all the time. Went in to the office last Friday and talked a bit with some of the folks. Actually spent a little time going over some possible machine relocations and process improvements with the Maintenance Manager and the Foreman of the Silk Screen Department.

Probably my brain saying to get the heck off Cyburbia's site and git back to work.

Still wearing my mask in some out-of-the-house trips.....but not all. This weekend had a birthday party on Sunday, a long drive to Techumseh, MI, for a funeral home visitation (also on Sunday) and on Saturday we kicked off the weekend with a Christmas Party. (Yeah, I said it right.....it was a party that was re-scheduled for late February because of my hospitalization. At my neice's house.)

I did not wear my mask to any of these events. Hope it didn't take too much of a chance.

Every Friday I get blood work done. This coming week I see the doctor to go over the latest numbers. I will probably try to get a release to go back to work, even if only for a few hours a day.

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
My HbA1c for the last 2 readings have been 6.7, Doc is happy with those numbers.
No change in meds.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Some work is better than nothing!

I am happy that you’re doing better. Someday I will tell you about the nerve damage that I have from a career ending skiing accident!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Sickie Bear

I should have worn a mask......Saturday at the (late) Christmas party, Sunday at my granddaughter's birthday party, Sunday at the funeral home.

I picked up a bug. With my bod's inability to fight off infection this bug stormed thru the ole' Bear and hit me Monday night. Fever over 102. Extreme coughing. Earache. Sore throat. Chest hurtz because of the extreme coughing.

Fun, huh?

Danced over to the doctor on Tuesday. Now on anti-biotics and prescription cough med. Feeling a little better today, Thursday, as evidenced by a return to the streets of Cyburbia.

Bear

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I know you were probably struggling with cabin fever, but do you think you might be rushing things just a bit? Take it easy and get well. This place doesn't feel the same when you aren't around;-)

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Gedunker said:
I know you were probably struggling with cabin fever, but do you think you might be rushing things just a bit? Take it easy and get well. This place doesn't feel the same when you aren't around;-)

G....you just quoted my wife, Katie, almost to the word. :-D

Yeah, probably right on the cabin fever. The bone marrow transplant doctors told me when I was released that they are comfortable with one-hundred (100) days after transplant, before I can get serious about wandering about. It is only half of that.

Thanx for the nice words.

B

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
Bear, to fullfil your desire for the up north wanderings you might want to stop off at Cabellas on days you feel up to it. Its going to be another couple of months before they put the sleds away North of the bridge anyways.

ON your next trip up North say hi to mew at #212.

SGB

Cyburbian
Remember, Bear - any infections will only further put off that :b: you've been
coveting. ;)

In the meantime, remember you can always wander vicariously via the National Geographic channel.