• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Lighting Lighting ordinances

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Does anyone have a relatively simple "dark sky" lighting ordinance that they think is reasonable and enforceable? I'm almost done with some revisions to one of our zoning districts, and I wanted to try to start addressing some of the lighting concerns, but I haven't found a great way to do it at this time.

DVD

Cyburbian
Most of the ones I've seen do everything through shielding requirements and lumens at the property line. Arizona cities do a lot of that. Try Scottsdale.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Thanks! I pulled a few things that I'll start with and see what kind of feedback I get.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Downward facing, less than 1 lumen at property line, full cut-off and parking lot lights limited to 4000k. Building and parking lot lighting off one hour after close or 11 PM, whichever is earlier. Sign lighting off 1/2 hour after business is no longer open to the public.

AG74683

Cyburbian
We don't have too much on lighting standards. We did adopt a conditional use for a motorsport use that references some things found in the IDA (International Dark-Sky Association and the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America's model lighting ordinance. It's a good start. You can find info HERE.

Top Bottom