• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Lights out

What time do you typically get to bed?

• Before 9 - yes, I know how lame this is.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • 10, or so - Hey! I have to get up early!

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • 11 or so - What, I can't miss West Wing!

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • 12 or so - I like to catch the news and a bit of Dave.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • In the wee hours of the morning

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday my sister in law dropped on me that she usually doesn't go to bed until after 1am, compared with my 10pm. I just thought that was insane! This, however, before she started student teaching, and her boyfriend is still an undergrad student. But still..... I just wanted to see how I am compared with other planning type folks.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Simpsons at 10, Seinfeld at 10:35... I am usually in bed by 11:30...watch a little Connan O'Brien or read a bit, then fall asleep.

poncho

Cyburbian
With two young kids, after they are in bed (7:30) is my wife and my only time to get to talk. So we stay up till about 9:30 or so. That is also my only time to read so if I got a good book maybe 8:30. That is usually in the winter.

Habanero

Cyburbian
NERD ALERT!!

Okay, I know it's bad, but since the man gets up at 430AM I typically get up then too, even if by "mistake" and big puppy paws on the stomach. I need about 7-8 hours, so I'm in bed by 930PM almost everynight.. although sometimes I stay up to catch something juicy on t.v.

jtfortin said:
Simpsons at 10, Seinfeld at 10:35... I am usually in bed by 11:30...watch a little Connan O'Brien or read a bit, then fall asleep.
But now conan is on comedy central at 7! yes - that is the sound of rejoicing. i was such an addict as a college student and haven't seen him in at least 3 years. is it the same without Andy?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Depends...

If its a bowling league night I'm usually not home until midnight, but otherwise it's 10PM for me!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Sometime around 11 or 11:30 does it for me. I don't need more than 6-7 hours of sleep and if I go to bed too early I wake up to early. Besides, it gives me time to check Cyburbia for those overseas posts before going to bed.

Common Council and Plan Board nights can be later, not just because of late meetings, but we "debrief" afterwards at a local tavern.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Michael Stumpf said:
Common Council and Plan Board nights can be later, not just because of late meetings, but we "debrief" afterwards at a local tavern.
What? Half price drinks if you take off the boxers or tighty whities?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
bturk said:

What? Half price drinks if you take off the boxers or tighty whities?
Uh huh. And you can get free drinks if you take them off on ladies night at the Sugar Shack.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I usually get to bed by 11:00 (although I've never watched West Wing). Simpsons are on at 10:00 and South Park is on at 10:30 every night, so if I'm in the t.v. mood those would keep me up. During hockey season I'll usually be up that late watching West Coast games (thank you SportsNet!). Oh yeah... and uh... other non-tv related things keep me up late too. ;)

el Guapo

Capitalist
If Jessie lived in the CST!

[ot]I decry the bias and inherent racist overtones shown by this poll against the peoples of the Central Time Zone (CST). I demand an apology, the sacking of the poster, and the formation of a committee to investigate and prevent further injustices. I demand a enterprise zone be declared and that Me and my progeny be given tax free status as a start on your ammends. I demand that a large payment be given to my tax free organization to fund my important work and I want a Photo Op with the Local Senator.[/ot]

Prudence: For you babe!

Bed about 11:30 CST and up at 6:00 am for toast, oatmeal and juice - Yum

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
1:00 AM, if not later. My circadian cycle is nocturnal by nature, and it's very difficult for me to fall asleep before then without meds. I usually get about six hours of sleep every night.

In the past few months, I've been working a lot of late nights, and coming home at 8:00 or 9:00 PM. I feel like there's very little "me time" left over if I don't stay up a bit later. Now, I'm trying to enforce an "out by 5:30" policy, even if that means falling behind even further. I have no life outside of work, and it's starting to take its toll.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Dan said:
1:00 AM, if not later. My circadian cycle is nocturnal by nature, and it's very difficult for me to fall asleep before then without meds. I usually get about six hours of sleep every night.
Man... I know how this is. I feel for you Dan! I also am a night owl by nature. I force myself to be in bed by 11:00. But there is at least one night a week where I don't fall asleep until 3:00 a.m. or later. It sucks. :(

On the weekends I usually stay up until about 4 or 5 in the morning and then sleep in until 1:00 or so. I've always said that if some city starts with 24-hour planning staff, I'd be the first to sign up for the swing shift. I bet the questions at the counter would be a trip. ;)

el Guapo

Capitalist
nerudite said:
I've always said that if some city starts with 24-hour planning staff, I'd be the first to sign up for the swing shift.
HELL NO! I SPENT 3 YEARS IN COLLEGE DOING MIDNIGHTS TO 8:00AM HELL NO - I'M NEVER GOING BACK TO THAT AGAIN ! The Horror!

But, Please don't take this personally. :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
El Guapo said:

HELL NO! I SPENT 3 YEARS IN COLLEGE DOING MIDNIGHTS TO 8:00AM HELL NO - I'M NEVER GOING BACK TO THAT AGAIN

But, Please don't thake this personally. :)
Works better for me... You can work days, and I'll work swing. :)

el Guapo

Capitalist
Agreed :)

Those night shifts were the worst time in my life. I envied the dead.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
lol im a morning person i want to go to bed about 10:30 or so if not sooner. up at 7 naturaly but 5:45 for work

there has to be other morning folks in the bunch

definitely a morning gal myself. regardless of weekday or weekend, am usually up around 6 - 6:30, and I never need an alarm clock. part of that is because i'm a terrible sleeper. i'll eventually get to sleep ok, but am usually up at least three times in the night due to extremely light sleeping. i usually try to get in bed by 9:30, and asleep by 10:30 (the inbetween is for reading, watching tv or, as my ob-gyn calls it "having relations".) :)

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Heh. Sleeping habits, what are they? I'm mildly insomniac, but about half the time I sleep okay and go to be around 11pm, fall asleep around midnight and wake up with my alarm at 8am. On a bad 'day' I can have anything from 4 to no hours sleep. I'm nearly always grumpy. The only time I'm a morning person is when I've got laid, and then the poor baby's usually too knackered to keep me company (bless!)...

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
My wife and I are both night people. Our daughter is in bed by 9, and we're up until 12 pretty much every night.

boiker

Cyburbian
i can't wait till i move,

this area only shows the simpsons at 5:00pm
I only get to watch half an episode a day...luckily i own the season 1 & 2 dvds!

btw, today is my last day with the city of Peoria.. You'll hear from me though...hopefully vegas returns a call!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
boiker said:
i can't wait till i move,

this area only shows the simpsons at 5:00pm
I only get to watch half an episode a day...luckily i own the season 1 & 2 dvds!

btw, today is my last day with the city of Peoria.. You'll hear from me though...hopefully vegas returns a call!
Good Luck!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Journeymouse said:
The only time I'm a morning person is when I've got laid, and then the poor baby's usually too knackered to keep me company
Hehehe ... yeah, back in the good 'ol days, when I had a girlfriend that would spend the night, we'd get up at the same early hour. When there's an external influence, like a significant other, my cycle seems to normalize somewhat.

At first, it takes me a while to fall asleep when there's a fine lass sharing my mattress. After dating for a while, it gets easier. Sleeping all the way through the ngiht, though, becomes more challenging. Wink wink nudge nudge say no more.

el Guapo

Capitalist
The significant other will add years to your lifespan by evening out your hours, diet and all other aspects of living. However those are the sucky broken hip, liver spots and Depends (TM) undergarment years that are added.

So it works against you in the long run.

JNL

Cyburbian
I get to bed between 10:30 and 11:00 most nights, and get up at 6:30 on weekdays. I function best when I've had 8 or even 9 hours sleep, but alas I am a very light sleeper and I share a house with 4 (sometimes 7) others, and my bedroom is between the two bathrooms! So I get woken up lots.

The lack of synchronisation in sleeping patterns with my ex was a contributing factor in our break up: he worked what hours he wanted but stayed asleep when I got up in the mornings, and then at night I would go to sleep while he stayed up working! Which meant not much overlapping time. Hopefully next contender will be more synchronous with me!

I slept for 12 hours Saturday morning!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Usually to bed by 11:00p.m. (or just after if it's ER or Law and Order night) Up at 6:00a.m. Stay up later on weekends, but don't sleep in past 8:00 a.m. My cat is an excellent alarm clock - unfortunately I can't turn her off on weekends.

My poor wife gets up with me, whether she has to or not. It's sweet but I think if the roles were reversed, I'd be staying in bed!

Status
Not open for further replies.