• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Like a good neighbor...

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Guap...

...I just killed 20 minutes laughing my way through that. :p

Good entertaining stuff. I've seen similar things during my brief time in Indiana.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Hey, I'm the the redneck neighbor!

Well, not really. However, my edger went kablooey a few weeks ago ... just as growing season kicked in. Because my front lawn is extraordinarily healthy, and I can't do more than mow until the Ryobi is fixed, I've got long stolons of St. Augustine creeping across the sidewalk. Because work has been so busy, I've had trees sitting in the front driveway for a couple of weeks, waiting to be planted. (I finally got the last of 'em in the ground on Sunday.)

The backyard, you ask? Cinch bugs. Lawn no more. When I get the Ryobi fixed, I can grind up what's left of the plant matter into the ground, level it out, and plant centipede seed. Fortunately, nobody sees it.

I do have real redneck neighbors. However, because so many people in my neck of the woods work in the building industry, home improvement projects of local Billy Joe Jim Bobs are usually jaw-dropping impressive.

kms

Cyburbian
My husband could be the neighbor. He has been known to edge with Roundup (chemicals or power tools - what a toss-up), I'm ashamed to say, especially since I'm the one with the environmental degree.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
kms wrote:
My husband could be the neighbor. He has been known to edge with Roundup (chemicals or power tools - what a toss-up), I'm ashamed to say, especially since I'm the one with the environmental degree.
Roundup is quite envronmentally friendly as herbicides go. Not persistant at all. (giff used to be a county weed commissioner, so he knows weed killers)

kms

Cyburbian
County weed commissioner - we have or had a Gypsy Moth Coodinator.

The Roundup Edging Practice leaves wonderful dried out, tan colored borders along the walk and around the house. Imagine the patterns he could create using the lawn as his palette (sp?)? Argyle. polka dots?

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
kms wrote:
we have or had a Gypsy Moth Coodinator.
Having recovered from the fit of giggles that brought on (and the strange looks from my colleagues), I have a question. What did he/she/they do? Co-ordinate flight paths and times?

kms

Cyburbian
It does sound silly. He coordinated the spraying of pesticide, marking the places where the pesticde would be sprayed. I'm sure it was more involved than that. Our county has a lot of forest land that they wanted to protect; the larvae fed on leaves.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
kms wrote:
My husband could be the neighbor. He has been known to edge with Roundup (chemicals or power tools - what a toss-up).
Take the tools. They make more noise.

Well, I found out that even in the town next door, where small motor repair shops are more common than restaurants or convenience stores, it would have cost about the same price to fix the ryobe than to buy a new one. So ... instead of buying a new Ryobi, I upgraded. Troy-Bilt with a four-stroke motor -- which takes all the Ryobi attachments! I also decided to pick up the blower attachment, which joined the edger, trimmer, and mulcher attachments in the garage. RUGGED!

I got home yesterday night around 8:00. After it got dark, I had to try out my new toys. Yup, Friday night, and I'm mowing and edging the lawn, and blowing the dirt off. Hey, the temperatures were cooler, and my skin acts up when I sweat too much.