• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

List of Places visitors have no idea how to say

Masswich

Cyburbian
There are some here in New England, though they capture the big one (Woosta) in the article. Some others-

Calais, ME (CAHL-us)
Berlin, CT (DER-lin)
Dorchester, MA (pronounced like it sounds, despite the fact that it has the same spelling pattern as Worcester)
Needham, MA (NEED-um)
Lowell, MA (LOWL)

Bubba

Cyburbian
In Georgia (in addition to the previously mentioned Houston, Cairo, and Berlin): Taliaferro (TOL-iver)

DVD

Cyburbian
It's Kansas, we pronounce everything different then the tourists.

Arkansas (Ark-Kansas) River
El Dorado (El Do rA do)
Salina is not Salinas for you CA people.

Rygor

Cyburbian
Casey, IL (CAY-zee)
Prescott, AZ (PRESS-kit)
Coeur d'Alene, ID (COR-da-LANE)

Rygor

Cyburbian
For some unknown reason, Des Moines, IA is pronounced "De Moyne" (the correct, French pronunciation, or close to it at least) while Des Plaines in Illinois is pronounced "Dez Playnz". Never could figure that one out.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Mackinac Island - MAC-in-aw island. (same with the bridge, but not the City... that is spelled aw instead of ac.

Otis

Cyburbian
In Oregon:

Yachats = YA-hots
Aloha = a-LOW-a no "ha" like in Hawaii
Champoeg = Sham-POO-ee

kjel

Super Moderator
In Oregon:

Yachats = YA-hots
Aloha = a-LOW-a no "ha" like in Hawaii
Champoeg = Sham-POO-ee
I used to live in Aloha, which is not actually a town itself and confuses people. I lived in a part that was annexed by Beaverton.

In the Dirty Jerzey....
1. Bogota, pronounced buh-GO-ta (this ain't Colombia!)
2. Forked River, forked is two syllables FOR-ked
3. Guttenberg, it isn't GOOT-en-burg it's GUT-en-burg
4. Kearny. Say it like the Spanish word for meat.....carne! (FYI, the mayor petitioned NJ Transit buses to change the robot pronunciation)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Rochester, New York is the undisputed champion of you're-pronouncing-it-wring suburbs in New York State.

For starters:

* Charlotte, pronounced shar-LOT.
* Chili, pronounced chi-lye (rhymes with jai alai).
* Avon, pronounced AH-vahn.
* Leroy, pronounced luh-ROY.
* Riga, pronounced RYE-guh.

Buffalo just has long Seneca place names to confound the visitors.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Skaneateles
Ambajejus lake
Onondaga
Calais, Vermont (in direct contrast to Calais, Maine)
A) I have never been able to spell Skaneateles (I actually was just looking at the word and spelled it wrong twice during typing)
C) My friends attended an event once where their home county was boldly pronounced oh-NON-da-gah from the podium; it was probably 20 years ago and I didn't even attend but it gets brought up at parties all the time.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
A) I have never been able to spell Skaneateles (I actually was just looking at the word and spelled it wrong twice during typing)
C) My friends attended an event once where their home county was boldly pronounced oh-NON-da-gah from the podium; it was probably 20 years ago and I didn't even attend but it gets brought up at parties all the time.
Yes I have heard Onondaga spoken that way - it cracked me up

mgk920

Cyburbian
Interestingly, for well known places around here in northeastern Wisconsin, the national sports guys constantly get 'Green Bay' wrong. It is 'green bay' (equal soft emphasis on both words), not 'GREEN bay'.

Also, the easiest way for us NE Wisconsin locals to pick out the tourists is to have them pronounce Shawano, WI (both a city and a county near here). It is 'SHAW-no', not 'sha-WA-no'.

Mike

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
A few from Iowa

Nevada nev A duh

Tripoli tri POLE uh

Madrid Mad rid

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I've lived here 25 years and some of theses were news to me.

This is what happens when Germans say Mexican names, and vice versa