• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

List your recent and current binge watch (streaming shows) here

AG74683

Cyburbian
Finished Lost in Space. Was pretty good and the ending really set up a good second season story arc.

Then I moved on to The Rain. It's a Danish post apocalyptic thing. Watch it in Danish with the English subtitles, the dub isn't all that great. It's actually pretty good, although it's a little bit teenaged angsty. I enjoyed it, although I was a little confused with some plot points.

Currently watching The Mist, another original series on Netflix. It's not very good. Acting is poor, story is weird, but it IS addicting. I'll be finishing the season just because, but I can't recommend it. I didn't read the Stephen King book so I'm not certain how close it is. I did watch the movie that came out a few years ago and enjoyed it, but as I understand, it wasn't really accurate to the book.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Finished the first season of Lost in Space as well. It was a bit uneven in places. However, it was a good show. Like AG said, they set up the second season well. It is worth watching.

DVD

Cyburbian
The first season of Lost In Space seemed to be the setup for them to actually be lost. The second season should be great. At least it has the opportunity to be great.

I watched the first season of the mist. I don't know if there is more than that? Everyone goes crazy and shoots each other. Meh.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Mrs. Maister got the complete Perry Mason DVD collection last Xmas. What she likes most about Mr. Mason - all his clients are innocent and none of them ever lies.
Also, he gets the cases dismissed at the initial hearing, never mind getting to an actual trial. Still, there is something about that show I like. I can't put my finger on it.

AG74683

Cyburbian
The first season of Lost In Space seemed to be the setup for them to actually be lost. The second season should be great. At least it has the opportunity to be great.

I watched the first season of the mist. I don't know if there is more than that? Everyone goes crazy and shoots each other. Meh.
Yeah I thought the same about Lost in Space. I liked the premise of having multiple Jupiter's though.

Only one season of The Mist so far. It's fairly lackluster, but for some reason I enjoy it. Probably because it's a shut your mind off show.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I think I'll binge all of The Good Place, instead.
Well, Netflix only has season 1, but I watched it all in about 5 days and its a hit.

High concept comedy that delivers eminently.

I tried getting into Lost in Space, but only got to episode 4. I gave up as each episode was too plodding and just wasn't grabbing me. There is so much content just on Netflix alone that...ain't nobody got time for that. :D

Doohickie

Cyburbian
A couple of episodes of Stranger Things left in Season 2.

I started Lost in Space as well. It was okay. I guess you need to watch 3 episodes before deciding if a series grabs you, so I'll need to check back in after watching a couple more.

And I'm starting to get a jones for the next season of Bojack Horseman. When I figure out its release date for Season 4, I may re-watch Seasons 1-4 leading up to the date.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
One more season left of Person of Interest. Then on to something new. Not sure what yet.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
just finished new season of Kimmie Schmitt and it was good - need a comedy after watching a dark show Season 2 Marcella (wow, that was tough)

need a new show - maybe The Five or The Frozen Dead

and if you haven't seen Money Heist, do it - but not the dubbed version, in Spanish with subtitles - it's awesome

Rygor

Cyburbian
Just finished Part 5 of The Ranch. Man what a great show. Sam Elliott is my idol.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I don't generally like baking shows but I saw a few episodes of "Nailed It" and thought it was amusing. Some of the disastrous desserts they make are hilarious. The Trump cake stands out as being especially memorable.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I was home alone last night and I had planned to hang out in the backyard with a couple of beers but it was too hot and muggy so I went inside and turned on Hulu and started watching Workaholics from season 1. I made it through way too many of them last night. It reminds me of a stoner-millennial version of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but maybe slightly raunchier?

I don't generally like baking shows but I saw a few episodes of "Nailed It" and thought it was amusing. Some of the disastrous desserts they make are hilarious. The Trump cake stands out as being especially memorable.
My daughter was watching this the other day. She was sitting on the couch working on a cross-stitch thing and I thought she had just left the TV on and wasn't paying attention so I asked if I could turn it off when I walked through the room but she told me she had actually turned it on. I watched with her for a few minutes and it was indeed pretty funny.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Just finished Part 5 of The Ranch. Man what a great show. Sam Elliott is my idol.
Sam Elliott's character Beau reminds me of the farmer that I worked for in high school and college. I guess that's why I like the show.

I started watching "The Crossing" recently and I am midway through the first and maybe only season. It reminds me of "Under the Dome".

Jen

Cyburbian
The Good Place is funny and quirky I like it, my daughter said the last episode was disappointing but I'm not there yet - it's an interrupted binge

HBO on demand I'm watching The #1 Ladies' Detective Agency - A total outlier! I'm liking it, it's a rough landscape in Botswana with a peek into the local culture, nothing slick or fancy but engaging and funny.

DVD

Cyburbian
I watched Glow and I'm finishing up Luke Cage with an occasional break for comedians in cars.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Started Somebody Feed Phil on Netflix - it's pretty much No Reservations-light with a less grumpy host (RIP Anthony Bourdain).

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
GF and I started Cobra Kai last night on Youtube Premium. It wasn't that bad. Very nostalgic.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Started Godless two nights ago. It's shaping up to be a good western. Watching Sam Waterston play a grizzled federal marshal was quite a departure from his recent role in 'Grace & Frankie'

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I binged tonight, but it wasn't TV. I dropped by the neighborhood tavern and found their Wednesday special was half off house liquors, so I had 4 whiskeys and paid $5 for them. This is a really cheap place to get drunk, I'm tellin' ya.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I binged tonight, but it wasn't TV. I dropped by the neighborhood tavern and found their Wednesday special was half off house liquors, so I had 4 whiskeys and paid $5 for them. This is a really cheap place to get drunk, I'm tellin' ya.
Where are you, and how can I get there next Wednesday?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So we finished watching the miniseries “Godless”. It was fairly good as Westerns go. I do have a beef with the ending. The big climactic battle in the town happens…then a somewhat less exciting duel happens after that…then there’s 17 freakin’ minutes of denouement. We’re talking about scenes like a man gazing upon the Pacific Ocean for 30 seconds (yawn). Don’t get me wrong the ending(s) wasn’t as fragmented as LOTR but they coulda wrapped things up considerably sooner at the end.

Planit

Cyburbian
The Girl has been watching Nailed It regularly now.

I've just started Ozarks and on episode 3. Pretty wild stuff.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ann with an E. A new interpretation of the famed Anne of Green Gables series. Season 1 I'd give a 7/10, but Season 2 gets a 9/10 and it was just renewed for a 3rd season.

Finishing up the new season of Orange is the New Black, it's better than last season already.

I don't currently have a TV. But I recently tripped across this awesome site about the Niles-Daphne thing on Frasier. I think I never watched the last season or whatever. I think I stopped watching about the time she began having visions of a future man and not realizing they were of Niles.

Anyway, I forgot -- or didn't quite grok at the time -- how awesome that whole thing was. But I have no idea how to find the shows to try to watch them.

How would I find these shows to rewatch?
Is it as simple as "You get a subscription to Netflix and watch all the old shows"?

(Assume there is a small budget for this -- there isn't at the moment, but I am gradually getting less poor. If you know of free options, that would be cool too. Library maybe? Maybe I should go to the local library and ask a few questions there?)

DVD

Cyburbian
Hulu has more old TV series. Netflix I think has more original programming. The movies they carry are dependent on what contracts they have with people like Sony or Disney. Then of course there is Amazon and a few others. You should be able to get a one month trial from any of them, just remember to cancel your subscription before they charge you. I did it with Hulu and didn't get any hate mail or spam. You can also pick up a lot of current shows on the network websites. Some you have to pay for some you don't.

Hulu has more old TV series. Netflix I think has more original programming. The movies they carry are dependent on what contracts they have with people like Sony or Disney. Then of course there is Amazon and a few others. You should be able to get a one month trial from any of them, just remember to cancel your subscription before they charge you. I did it with Hulu and didn't get any hate mail or spam. You can also pick up a lot of current shows on the network websites. Some you have to pay for some you don't.
Thanks. That's lots of good info. :)

Is there some way to figure out if a specific service specifically has Frasier before signing up for anything, even on a trial basis?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My wife and I started watching Jack Ryan on Amazon a couple nights ago and we really liked it. The action is pretty good and, though there are some things in the story that they could have obviously and logically done differently (I don't want to call them plot holes, just lazy plot devices I guess), the storyline is really good. We have two episodes left and my wife was actually pestering me to watch them last night at 10:45 p.m. when I'm usually getting ready for bed.

FWIW, I've always enjoyed all of the Jack Ryan movies and this TV series definitely feels like it has movie-like production values.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Thanks. That's lots of good info. :)

Is there some way to figure out if a specific service specifically has Frasier before signing up for anything, even on a trial basis?
Looks like both Netflix and Hulu have Frasier, but I'll check Netflix for sure this evening by watching a season of 3!

I finished the reboot of Voltron on Netflix, or rather watched it up to the last season available. I really enjoyed it.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
The started the second season of Iron First. The first season wasn't as bad as the critics said, neither was it exceptionally good. We will see.....

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ozark was great, yes - really hope they do another season

Finished the German series Under the same sky and am now watching the Finnish Netflix series Bordertown - both are excellent

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Home Town on HGTV. Seriously, if I could find a way to do this woodworking/ house restoration and be profitable enough to get close to my current income, I would do it in a heartbeat. I just don't know where to start.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Watched the entire Netflix series "Dark" on Saturday. It was really good. The dub is terrible so I watched it in German with subtitles.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Binged the first season of Atypical on Netflix on Saturday, watching around getting housework done, and catching some baseball and college football.
I wasn't sure what to make of the lead character's autism portrayal at first, which I think might have been over-acted purposefully, especially in the first episode. Overall I've enjoyed it even if the total story arc seems a bit contrived. I'll definitely watch the second season.

DVD

Cyburbian
I started watching Maniac. It's bizarre and interesting. Lemurs get involved in the 3rd or 4th episode.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lemurs get involved in the 3rd or 4th episode.
and that's the line of the day

just finished The Good Place and I really liked it - haven't been able to see it in real time as I have no control over the tv - I watch netflix on my phone

I also watched Secret City - if you liked House of Cards, you will like this - I hope it comes back for another season

Now I am watching Designated Survivor and I love how it's the director of HUD as the President, lol/omg

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
lp will appreciate this - I recently caught up to the current season of Better Call Saul on the Netflix.

Pretty good. Every episode is solid for 3 seasons straight.

I think I'll jump into Maniac next.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Some friends were telling me about a show called American Vandal which is basically satire of Making of a Murderer. We (family and I) watched a few minutes of American Vandal and found it okay, but decided to start Making of a Murderer instead. My God is that show absolutely fantastic!! I still have 5 more episodes left too.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Netflix released the second season of The Good Place and I watched that. Now we're watching 11 (12?) seasons of 'Bones' that we have on DVD. This one's going to be a while. When finished, though, we'll need recommendations for new Netflix shows to watch.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Blacklist. It's an NBC show but on Netlfix. I might be a little late to the party but it's a great show.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
loved The Blacklist and The Good Place - don't get to see them in real time so it's good Netflix carries them

loving Designated Survivor - in season 2 now - a planner becoming President, awesome juice

Planit

Cyburbian
Monty Python entire catalog is on Netflix now so I've been watching Flying Circus. Even The Girl sat down with me for awhile and watched a couple episodes.

Thank goodness there are no political ads on Netflix!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Monty Python entire catalog is on Netflix now so I've been watching Flying Circus. Even The Girl sat down with me for awhile and watched a couple episodes.

Thank goodness there are no political ads on Netflix!
I started (re)watching those too. Kind of like meeting up with old friends once again.
NO ONE expects the Spanish Inquisition!

AG74683

Cyburbian
Watched the entire first season of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina on Netflix over the last week. I really liked it. It's a little "teenagery" for my tastes, but it was still pretty good nonetheless.

DVD

Cyburbian
Watched the entire first season of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina on Netflix over the last week. I really liked it. It's a little "teenagery" for my tastes, but it was still pretty good nonetheless.
My daughter loves this kind of stuff so I'm thinking about watching it, but she decided that she doesn't like witches so she won't watch it and if dad suggests it it must be bad.