• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

List your recent and current binge watch (streaming shows) here

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'm enjoying the heck out of the Carbonaro Effect. They usually treat the 'victims' more gently than other hidden camera shows. Typically, Michael Carbonaro performs some slight of hand magic and provides sophistic, but ultimately unconvincing, explanations why impossible things happen. It's truly fun for the whole family.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9CLm3SIMDM

Coragus

Cyburbian
I just finished watching Bojack Horseman last night. It really bums me out how much I relate to him. I mean, not the drugs, but how it seems that no matter how hard he tries, everything just blows up in his fact, even when he tries to be good.

Obvious cliffhanger was obvious. Bojack checked into a 6-week rehab program and Diane drove away and into a tunnel.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Anyone else see the Christmas Chronicles on Netflix? I thought it was cute, and Kurt Russel pulled off cranky Santa more successfully than I thought he would.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Started Marcus Samuelsson's No Passport Required earlier this week (watched the first two episodes so far). It's good, but seeing a lot of the food pron production styles pioneered by Anthony Bourdain's crew in it is a little bittersweet for me.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Anyone else see the Christmas Chronicles on Netflix? I thought it was cute, and Kurt Russel pulled off cranky Santa more successfully than I thought he would.
Watched it with the kiddos last weekend and we all enjoyed it. From the trailer I wasn't sure if he was going to be Santy-y enough, but it was fun. Although the elves seemed a bit mean at times (chainsaw?!), haha.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Does anyone find that binge watching leads to the inability to recall specific events in each of those episodes? If you watch like 6 episodes in one night, they all blend together after a while. As the weeks go by, the ability to recall the plots unique to each episode is difficult.

I only watch two episodes at a time in any given night. That makes it more easy to "digest" each show. I just think binge watching promotes instant gratification at the expense of short-term memory loss.

Planit

Cyburbian
Watching Versailles right now. It's essentially the French version of the Tudors.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Started Marcus Samuelsson's No Passport Required earlier this week (watched the first two episodes so far). It's good, but seeing a lot of the food pron production styles pioneered by Anthony Bourdain's crew in it is a little bittersweet for me.
It's a good show. I miss Bourdain.

Netflx has a 4 part miniseries called Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat which features Samin Nosrat and named after her book. I've watched Fat which was filmed in Italy and Salt which was filmed in Japan so far. It's incredibly well done.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Netflx has a 4 part miniseries called Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat which features Samin Nosrat and named after her book. I've watched Fat which was filmed in Italy and Salt which was filmed in Japan so far. It's incredibly well done.
Just added that to my Netflix list, thankyouverymuch.

AG74683

Cyburbian
It's a good show. I miss Bourdain.

I've been really interested in watching this, I'll check it out tonight.

My brother and his family came down for Thanksgiving and they watched a few episodes of Parts Unknown. I haven't watched a ton of it, but I can easily see why some people don't like it. It's a really heavy show to watch. I won't say that it's depressing, but it's kinda close. I think it's because it's a show for people who want to travel but will never have the opportunity to do it, at least the way Bourdain did, and because even with such a perceived idyllic life, Anthony still wasn't happy. I watch the show thinking "damn that would be the life" but then realize that maybe it isn't?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
My brother and his family came down for Thanksgiving and they watched a few episodes of Parts Unknown. I haven't watched a ton of it, but I can easily see why some people don't like it. It's a really heavy show to watch. I won't say that it's depressing, but it's kinda close. I think it's because it's a show for people who want to travel but will never have the opportunity to do it, at least the way Bourdain did, and because even with such a perceived idyllic life, Anthony still wasn't happy. I watch the show thinking "damn that would be the life" but then realize that maybe it isn't?
Keep in mind Mr. Bourdain suffered from depression. Depression is an internal state, not a set of external life circumstances.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Keep in mind Mr. Bourdain suffered from depression. Depression is an internal state, not a set of external life circumstances.
And the show was often heavy because in later seasons Bourdain openly talked with his hosts and others he'd meet up with about politics, culture, and other things happening in the country they were in. Much of it was unpleasant. Shortly after his passing I said something to the effect that in the beginning of his show it was about the food, place, and people and at the end it was about the people, place, and food.

Bubba

Cyburbian
One of the greatest things I ever experienced that I had to be talked into doing was going to Bourdain's one-man show that was part of one of his last book tours - it ended up being just a fantastic and mesmerizing two hours.

I think Parts Unknown is easier to watch if you've watched his previous shows - A Cook's Tour was a bit uneven (Zero Point Zero Productions was just starting to figure out what they were doing on that one), but No Reservations and The Layover are good lead-ins to Parts Unknown.

AG74683

Cyburbian
True, and that's why I think the show is even MORE important now. To highlight the fact that even when your external life is flawless, it doesn't mean you're immune to depression and that it's largely a "hidden" illness.

And the show was often heavy because in later seasons Bourdain openly talked with his hosts and others he'd meet up with about politics, culture, and other things happening in the country they were in. Much of it was unpleasant. Shortly after his passing I said something to the effect that in the beginning of his show it was about the food, place, and people and at the end it was about the people, place, and food.
I kinda think a travel show SHOULD be unpleasant. Most shows gloss over the negative aspects of the location, but I think travel should be about broadening your world view. Taking in the tourist sights and sounds does nothing. Bourdain realized that the one true connection between all cultures is food (or alcohol), and used that as a gateway to understanding others.

I just think Parts Unknown is a super powerful show and I almost feel worn out after an episode of it. It's not a show you can binge.

In a way, it reminds me of Insomniac with Dave Attell, a short lived series on Comedy Central. He bonded with his hosts in a very similar fashion. It was a much lighter show, geared towards comedy, but it did a good job of fleshing out the "parts unknown" of cities he was visiting.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Does anyone find that binge watching leads to the inability to recall specific events in each of those episodes? If you watch like 6 episodes in one night, they all blend together after a while. As the weeks go by, the ability to recall the plots unique to each episode is difficult.

I only watch two episodes at a time in any given night. That makes it more easy to "digest" each show. I just think binge watching promotes instant gratification at the expense of short-term memory loss.
Two episodes per night of any series is about my limit, with the exception of Archer (and those are, what, about 20 - 23 minutes each?).

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I had no clue about the show and my wife and I were flipping through the channels one night this summer and I turned on PBS right as the first episode was airing. It took place here in Metro Detroit and I immediately recognized many of the names and locales so we decided to watch it. At the end of the episode they go to a restaurant called Phoenicia that is just a few blocks from our house. We've walked past the restaurant probably hundreds of times over the years and always heard it was good (and I knew it had won a couple of big awards over the past couple of years) but for some reason my wife and I had never considered going there. After the episode aired we set about finding a babysitter so we could take ourselves out to dinner there in the next week or so and it was absolutely fantastic. We don't go out to dinner often but we've gone back twice since then.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
nice little Christmas movie is "Hold The Dark" on Netflix - lol, riveting

finished Deadwind, another riveting show, wow

Planit

Cyburbian
Finished watching The Kaminsky Method on Netflix. Season 1 was good & Ms. P was disappointed there was only one season to watch.

This isn't the first time she was disappointed about finishing a series. She said she was just getting really into it when it was over.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Saw a couple of episodes of Mars on National Geographic channel. Will have to go back and see the first season and fill in the blanks on this season.

DVD

Cyburbian
I watched The Fix on Netflix. Comedians solving world problems. Not bad but with a little tweaking it could be great.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Finished the Kominski Method. The witty/insulting banter between Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin is masterful. I'm looking forward to season 2 big time.

Started a new series. a British show (I assume) called 'Murder in Paradise'. The premise of the show is that a straight laced London Metro detective gets assigned to a backwater posting on a Caribbean island where the local police are polar opposite laid-back go-with-the-flow types It has a classic whodunit format in the tradition of Agatha Christie.

Planit

Cyburbian
I'm in the middle of season 2 of Death In Paradise.

Pretty good show, scenery, humor, mystery, twists, but I just realized something - there sure are a lot of murders in this tiny Caribbean island, at least one or two a week (an episode). It is the main premise for the show, hence the name I guess. But not a good marketing plan for tourism.
Started a new series. a British show (I assume) called 'Murder in Paradise'. The premise of the show is that a straight laced London Metro detective gets assigned to a backwater posting on a Caribbean island where the local police are polar opposite laid-back go-with-the-flow types It has a classic whodunit format in the tradition of Agatha Christie.
It IS a good show & it went through the 6 seasons, but I think there's one more season which hasn't dropped on Netflix.

Mrs. P & I watched the first 3 The Fix over the holidays. I think we will continue.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It IS a good show & it went through the 6 seasons, but I think there's one more season which hasn't dropped on Netflix.
Actually I believe Netflix currently has seven seasons of the show available. As I understand it, they're still making the show and we'll probably have to wait a year or two for additional seasons to be streamed. I hate that, btw.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Started into Maniac last night on Netflix. It's interesting and I'm now halfway through it.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Started into Maniac last night on Netflix. It's interesting and I'm now halfway through it.
I really enjoyed Maniac, especially the final few episodes that went completely crazy. The acting was really good, although I definitely preferred Jonah Hill to Emma Stone. Jonah doesn't seem to get a lot of credit, but he really is a great actor.

We tried the new Netflix thing Black Mirror: Bandersnatch over Christmas. It was pretty weird. I need to give it another shot, this time by myself. It didn't seem to lend itself to watching with a group very well.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just finished Continuum - it was excellent but I have remaining questions after the ending

Just started Tideland

Planit

Cyburbian
We're into the first few episodes of "Travelers" - It's a good show, suspenseful and fairly intriguing and one of the episodes was completely bizarre.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I've been watching "The Good Place" on Netflix. It's still a regular show on NBC though. It's really good! I didn't think I'd like it because normally these type of shows aren't really my thing, but I was definitely wrong.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Comedy Central had a Reno 911 marathon on New Year's Eve and my wife recorded all of the episodes. We've been watching two or three episodes of that a night for the past week or so. I forgot how much I loved that show and how funny all of the actors are. (FWIW, I never cared for The State)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Ditto, aside from an isolated sketch or two, but a lot of the stuff those guys have put out since then has been great.
Other than Reno 911, my favorite show from State alums was probably the short-lived Stella on Comedy Central with Michael Ian Black, David Wain, and Michael Showalter. Childrens Hospital (which somehow lasted for like 8 years on Adult Swim?) was another great one. I think David Wain was one of the creators.

Going down the Wikipedia and IMDB rabbit hole of careers from people on The State the best tidbit I discovered was that Kerry Kenney-Silver's dad was the voice of both Count Chocula and Lion-O.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
We were all excited for the return of The Orville but that second episode was not child appropriate! :oops:

Otherwise just been watching Community lately because I didn't finish the series previously and with the move, our brains haven't been able to handle anything more serious and longer than 30 minutes lately. :LOL:

DVD

Cyburbian
The Orville seems to have gone a little more serious than the 1st season. I thought last year had more laughs.

AG74683

Cyburbian
We were all excited for the return of The Orville but that second episode was not child appropriate! :oops:
Oh definitely not! I still enjoyed the episode though. The third one was incredibly dark though.

The Orville seems to have gone a little more serious than the 1st season. I thought last year had more laughs.
Last year definitely had more laughs, but the show couldn't figure out what it wanted to be. A serious Star Trek type show, or a wacky zany spoof? It's found the right footing now though. All three episodes have been significantly more character driven and much smaller in scope. Some funny bits still exist, but the tone is drastically different. IMO I enjoy it much more now. It really feels like a solid Star Trek successor.

AG74683

Cyburbian
In honor of the 20th anniversary, I am re-watching the Sopranos.
I've never watched that show, at least all the way through. I've had HBO streaming for years, and really only used it for "Game of Thrones". I am definitely wasting that subscription. I'll start that show next after I finish the available "The Good Place" episodes.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
^ I've rewatched the Sopranos a couple of times and it holds up really well. There were always a few episodes and storylines I didn't care about but there were plenty of phenomenal episodes and characters.

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
^ I've rewatched the Sopranos a couple of times and it holds up really well. There were always a few episodes and storylines I didn't care about but there were plenty of phenomenal episodes and characters.
I agree. The using payphones makes it see a little bit like a period piece but in a fun way. I didnt remember how bad of an actress Meadow was... she is painful in the first two seasons.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I had stopped watching the Orville. Last season had a lot of humor to it as well as serious moment. After reading y'alls comments, I'm going to have starting watching it again.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Started watching Lucifer last week. I understand the show ran on Fox for a few seasons and now Netflix has picked up the production.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Started watching Lucifer last week. I understand the show ran on Fox for a few seasons and now Netflix has picked up the production.
It started off really strong, but ultimately morphed into a standard police procedural with some random fantasy type things thrown in. I stopped watching after the second season had one of those odd mid-season breaks.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It started off really strong, but ultimately morphed into a standard police procedural with some random fantasy type things thrown in. I stopped watching after the second season had one of those odd mid-season breaks.
The premise seems interesting and entertaining, but I'm currently at episode 5 of the first season and wondered if in fact that was the trajectory it would take. It's already showing early indications a run of the mill procedural is where they're headed.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chef's Table on Netflix. I've watched almost all episodes from Seasons 1-4. The standouts for me so far are Magnus Nilsson, Dan Barber, Frances Mallman, and Virgilio Martinez.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Chef's Table on Netflix. I've watched almost all episodes from Seasons 1-4. The standouts for me so far are Magnus Nilsson, Dan Barber, Frances Mallman, and Virgilio Martinez.
I started that series last week!

Anyone else watching Tidying Up? I swear, the people in that show must not have had to move for years - how else do you have so much stuff pile up? Every time we move (and we're looking at our 3rd in 4 years), we purge like crazy.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Anyone else watching Tidying Up? I swear, the people in that show must not have had to move for years - how else do you have so much stuff pile up? Every time we move (and we're looking at our 3rd in 4 years), we purge like crazy.
I want to watch it but I'm afraid that I'll want to purge not just my stuff but stuff from everyone in the household and then they'll get annoyed with me. :p