• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

List your recent and current binge watch (streaming shows) here

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I enjoyed The Kominsky Method but I think it might appeal more to mature gentlemen (of which I am one). Not sure how it translates to younger demographics.

Very much looking forward to season 3 of Atypical coming out tomorrow (11-1).

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Season 6 of Bojack Horseman is out*. Just as fantastic as the other 5. This show goes lots of weird places in lots of different ways, and each season builds on the previous ones. And the theme music is just awesome.

*It's supposedly the last season, and consists of 16 episodes, but only 8 are released and now I'm suffering Bojack withdrawals.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I enjoyed The Kominsky Method but I think it might appeal more to mature gentlemen (of which I am one). Not sure how it translates to younger demographics.

Seeing Paul Reiser was kind of shocking. He looked so much older than I remembered him from Mad About You. Then it occurred to me that show started 27 years ago :oops:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Seeing Paul Reiser was kind of shocking. He looked so much older than I remembered him from Mad About You. Then it occurred to me that show started 27 years ago :oops:
I had to go to IMDb to see how old he is. Not much older than me, frankly.:oops:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
How was season 2? My wife and I watched season one, but haven't gotten the desire to watch season two as it hits fairly close to home and is a bit too real for us right now with our oldest (12 yr old) son.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
How was season 2? My wife and I watched season one, but haven't gotten the desire to watch season two as it hits fairly close to home and is a bit too real for us right now with our oldest (12 yr old) son.
I enjoyed it throughly. I thought the spectrum portrayal in season one was slightly to highly exagerrated (especially in the pilot and EP 1), but it didn't feel that way to me in the second season. I don't know if it was purposefully toned down or whether I had come to enjoy the character and thus tolerate the eccentricities. YMMV.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Atypical on Netflix.
My wife and I jumped back in at the end of last week and got through Ep: 1 of season 3 last night.

This show is quite close to home for us as our 12 year old son is on the spectrum and in 6th grade/middle school now. This next 8+ years are going to be a trip for my wife and I. This show appears to be doing justice to the subject matter.

Also, our boys really wanted to start into The Good Place on Netflix, so they started Season 1 yesterday evening and are really enjoying the comedy and the philosophy lesson(s). The boys (10, 11, 12) are such forking nerds. I love it.

Last edited:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I started Treadstone last night. While not a streaming service show, I am mentioning it because others on here brought it to my attention.

I've also started Watchmen. I'm a little confused after only 1 episode, but I'm also intrigued by it. Some really good people on the show!

Anyone else watching Prodigal Son? I was a bit leery, given that it's a Fox show. But Michael Sheen is a main character, and I like him and a couple of other cast members. The chick playing the sister is out of her league, but she is the token pretty blonde in the ensemble.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I loved The Good Place - can't wait for the next season to drop

Just started I-sland on Netflix - not bad

finished Jack Ryan Season 2 and it was better than season 1 - hope they do a season 3

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I forgot about Treadstone. I wanted to watch that one I'll have to check to see if I can watch the first couple of episodes on demand.

I've also started Watchmen. I'm a little confused after only 1 episode, but I'm also intrigued by it. Some really good people on the show!
I've been watching Watchmen and have really enjoyed it so far. I can definitely see how it could be confusing though. I thankfully went back and re-read the graphic novel a couple of months ago and then I read a few articles on Slate and NYT (I think) right before the series started that sort of spelled out what was happening in the first few episodes without spoiling anything. I think it's a good thing I read those articles because the first episode made so much more sense knowing more about the background going in.

Here's one of the articles from Slate: https://slate.com/culture/2019/10/watchmen-hbo-racism-damon-lindelof-review.html

____

Anybody binge season 2 of Jack Ryan yet? Season 1 was surprisingly good but I haven't heard much about season 2 yet (it just came out). My wife and I are planning to start that soon.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I loved The Good Place - can't wait for the next season to drop
Don't you have cable or over-the-air reception?

You can watch Season 4 right now as it airs. That's what I'm doing (and did with Season 2 & 3).

But I've rewatched many Season 1-3 episodes on Netflix as The Good Place is a good show for rewatching again and again.

Last edited:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I had the misfortune of paying to go see the movie. I absolutely hated it. It forever soured me on watching any thing Watchman related. FWIW, I never read the graphic novel either.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Another vote for Good Place. . . I'm going to miss it when it's over! Am watching Good Place and Walking Dead as the episodes are released.

I also agree that the first episode of the Watchmen was confusing, but I'm gonna give it a couple more episodes.

My parents recommended Emergence and we enjoyed the first episode of it.

My parents and 11-year old son both liked "The Unlisted," and I enjoyed it enough to watch with my son, so it's a potentially family-friendly show.

Not a show, but I watched "El Camino" and it was a solid capstone to the Breaking Bad series. I know that show was violent, but when you see all of the seasons compressed into a couple of minute long retrospective / reminder, it's pretty gross and disturbing! But I enjoyed the show anyway. :oops:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
My wife has been watching The Good Place; I catch an occasional episode. Agree, it's a good show.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I never realized that Michael Schur (the guy who created The Good Place and Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Parks and Recreation) is also the same guy who played Mose on The Office.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I never realized that Michael Schur (the guy who created The Good Place and Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Parks and Recreation) is also the same guy who played Mose on The Office.
He is a rather unassuming looking creative genius, for sure.

He looks like a bunch of guys I went to school with in northern MI.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I watched Unbelievable on Netflix. I had to stop after Episode 1, which I found ... deeply unsettling. I went back to it after a couple of weeks, re-watched Episode 1 and the remainder of the season. Not for the faint of heart, I'd say, but very well acted. Merrit Wever (Godless) is quite good.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I just want to say how it's a little frustrating watching shows like Kominsky Method on Netflix because they only make eight 25 minute long episodes per season and then you have to wait nearly a year for another measly 8 shows. Granted, I grew up in the days where you could only watch one show per week and had to go through several months without any new episodes of your favorite shows until the new season started, but at least you had 22-26 shows per season back then to watch as re-runs to keep you occupied and interested.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
We caved and purchased the entire series of Alias on dvd (since it hasn't been on netflix in years) and started watching again this week. I watched it when it originally came out (2002ish) and introduced it to Mr. Random when we first met. Looking forward to watching it for the third time and introducing it to the teenagers this weekend. I love this show!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We caved and purchased the entire series of Alias on dvd (since it hasn't been on netflix in years) and started watching again this week. I watched it when it originally came out (2002ish) and introduced it to Mr. Random when we first met. Looking forward to watching it for the third time and introducing it to the teenagers this weekend. I love this show!
We got the complete Alias DVD set maybe 4-5 years ago. I think we're due to put it back into the viewing rotation soon. Interestingly, as soon as we finished watching serious spy-show Alias (with their mysterious Rambaldi artifacts, secret organizations, and double and triple agents) we then watched Chuck and got that series on DVD too. It was quite a contrast watching two spy shows back to back, one serious and the other comedic.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
watching the last season of The man in the High Castle - it's very good

watched Living With Myself - it's one to take a pass to imho

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Wish I could binge...but can't: The Mandalorian.

Spoiled by Netflix releasing entire seasons at once...

DVD

Cyburbian
So I'll hold off on getting some Disney until the whole season is released then just get a month worth and binge the crap out of the show.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
I built up 4 episodes of Treadstone on my Youtube TV DVR and watched them last night. I have enjoyed it a lot. I dont see how it can work as a multi season series, but it is good.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I generally like Helena Bonham Carter, but I agree with you that she is not cast effectively as Margaret. I am enjoying this season so far, nonetheless.
Maybe I'm mixing up my royals, but wasn't Margaret considered a loose cannon back in the day? If so, it seems like Carter would be a good choice - she frequently gets cast in 'crazy' roles. In fairness, though, I haven't watched a moment of season 3 yet and her performance could very well be as ineffective as you say.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Maybe I'm mixing up my royals, but wasn't Margaret considered a loose cannon back in the day? If so, it seems like Carter would be a good choice - she frequently gets cast in 'crazy' roles. In fairness, though, I haven't watched a moment of season 3 yet and her performance could very well be as ineffective as you say.
Yes, Margaret had a reputation for being somewhat wild, and there's an episode to that effect in S3 (that which I have watched so far, anyway). And you would think HBC would be perfect, but ... something just doesn't click.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Yes, Margaret had a reputation for being somewhat wild, and there's an episode to that effect in S3 (that which I have watched so far, anyway). And you would think HBC would be perfect, but ... something just doesn't click.
I think it's because HBC is significantly older now than PM was in 1966. PM was 36 years old in 1966 when S3 starts and HBC does not look 36.

I think the producers should have started in the early 70s with this S3 casting.

Last edited:

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I'm really not a binge watcher of anything except college football on Saturdays when I can. But I have been re-watching an episode or two most nights before bed of The West Wing. Man I really liked that show the first time around and it's still solid.

On a side note, I do not have a TV in the bedroom. I could have one, I just choose not to. I have enough problems sleeping sometimes so that distraction/temptation is something I don't need.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My wife and I just watched The Moodys over the past few days on Fox and thought it was really pretty funny. Denis Leary can be pretty hit or miss in my book but this one was a definite hit. None of the characters were too over the top and they worked great together as an actual family (the "Uncle Roger" character was perfect). I guess it would be considered a miniseries as there are only 6 half hour episodes each one chronicling a day with the family leading up to Christmas day. There were no loose ends at the finale and everything wrapped up nicely, but I'd enjoy seeing them return for 6 more episodes next Christmas.

Finished off Season 2 of Jack Ryan over the weekend - just awful at times. Tom Clancy must be spinning in his grave.
I binged it all over a couple evenings last week and loved it... well, up until the final twist at the very end. I don't mind a twist ending here or there but I want it to be something that would have been feasible for me as the viewer to see coming if I had paid attention. I liked it better than season 1 (but I would have liked to see something about what ever happened with Air Force drone pilot who ended up traveling to Syria to try and apologize to the family who's father he killed).

__

My brother has been telling me over and over to watch The Boys so I'm going to try and check that out next.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
My brother has been telling me over and over to watch The Boys so I'm going to try and check that out next.
I've been watching The Boys since this past weekend and it's not doing much for me. I will probably finish the last two episodes mainly to understand the motive(s) behind the whole thing. But giving up on it right now is equally acceptable.

I just learned that Lodge 49 season 1 is on Amazon and I've heard it's great and likely the perfect tone and sensibility for me.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I binged it all over a couple evenings last week and loved it... well, up until the final twist at the very end. I don't mind a twist ending here or there but I want it to be something that would have been feasible for me as the viewer to see coming if I had paid attention. I liked it better than season 1 (but I would have liked to see something about what ever happened with Air Force drone pilot who ended up traveling to Syria to try and apologize to the family who's father he killed).
It was some of the minutia in Season 2 that had me rolling my eyes:

Ryan speaking absolutely no Spanish, getting picked up in a bar by another spook, leaving classified material sitting out in his hotel room, finding his room broken into and the bathtub running, but failing to clear the bathroom upon entry, Uber running farther and farther away from the boat, etc.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It was some of the minutia in Season 2 that had me rolling my eyes:

Ryan speaking absolutely no Spanish, getting picked up in a bar by another spook, leaving classified material sitting out in his hotel room, finding his room broken into and the bathtub running, but failing to clear the bathroom upon entry, Uber running farther and farther away from the boat, etc.
I forgot about those things in your spoiler but I do recall complaining about a few of those to my wife while we were watching.