• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

List your recent and current binge watch (streaming shows) here

Bubba

Cyburbian
I'm about to start Season 3 of Goliath on Amazon Prime (after finishing off Season 1 of Treadstone tonight).

Peaky Blinders
A friend said I’d like it but hadn’t got around to watching it until now.
The most recent season is a hot mess, but the previous ones are freaking awesome.

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Oh noes.

Last night I discovered that all seasons of 30 Rock are on Amazon TV.

Started last night by watching the Greenzo epi (middle of season 2), because it's one of the best TV comedy episodes ever. Then I started from the beginning watching Eps. 1 & 2 of Season 1.

I'm going to be stuck in for the foreseeable future (though much of season 6 can be elided over).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Finished Holiday Nailed it and Mrs. Maister started watching some show produced by Dolly Partin called "Heartstrings" which features episodes based on various songs she wrote. I happened to be in the room while it was playing and found it oddly compelling (and, yes, emotionally overwrought as well).

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Just started season two of You on Netflix. Penn Badgely is incredible as one creepy dude.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am watching Ultra Violet on Amazon - it's good

finished out season 3 of Occupied on Netflix

and yes @mendelman - filling in with 30 rock from the beginning - still funny as hell

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I've been binging on The West Wing. Oddly enough, one of the episodes I watched yesterday involved Iran shooting down a passenger jet. :oops:
That show was groundbreaking for the politi-drama genre, much like 'Hill Street' forever changed the formula for police shows. Aaron Sorkin is one of the most talented writers out there.
Considering the show is now 20 years old, it's held up remarkably well.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Watched the entire Netflix series "Dark" on Saturday. It was really good. The dub is terrible so I watched it in German with subtitles.
I started watching Dark. Pretty good. I don't have a problem with the dubbing but I have the subtitles on anyway, mostly to catch the names. I'm pretty sure Will Arnett is the Enghlish speaking voice of Bernd Doppler (founder of the nuclear plant) so I keep seeing Bojack Horseman in my mind when he talks.

DVD

Cyburbian
I need something to download to the phone for the bus trip home. I was watching The Tick on Amazon, but I'm done with that now.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Started The Outsider (HBO - based on a Stephan King novel) last night. It's not exactly binge watching since it's still airing, but I had the first three episodes stacked up on the DVR. It was filmed in Georgia, and the main part of the story is takes place in Cherokee County (NW exurban Atlanta). It's a good story and really well made, but I do have a few gripes after watching episodes 1 and 2...

• No one in the history of the state of Georgia has ever referred to Atlanta as "Cap City". Ever.
  • If you're going from Cherokee to Atlanta, you're not "going out of town" - you're just going down to Atlanta.
  • The only actor even attempting to do something along the lines of a southern accent is Paddy Considine, and he's playing a bouncer at a strip club called The Peach Crease :r: I'm fairly certain there are no strip clubs in Cherokee County (Atlanta, on the other hand, is a different story...).
  • Amtrak does not run from Cherokee to DFW.

To the writers' credit, though, they did correctly work into the script that God favors UGA over Florida in the WLOCP. :cool:

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I do have a few gripes after watching episodes 1 and 2...

• No one in the history of the state of Georgia has ever referred to Atlanta as "Cap City". Ever.
  • If you're going from Cherokee to Atlanta, you're not "going out of town" - you're just going down to Atlanta.
  • The only actor even attempting to do something along the lines of a southern accent is Paddy Considine, and he's playing a bouncer at a strip club called The Peach Crease :r: I'm fairly certain there are no strip clubs in Cherokee County (Atlanta, on the other hand, is a different story..).
  • Amtrak does not run from Cherokee to DFW
Thanks for the heads up. I hate it when writers totally miss on the regional identity thing. And those sound like epic whiffs. Won't be watching that one.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Thanks for the heads up. I hate it when writers totally miss on the regional identity thing. And those sound like epic whiffs. Won't be watching that one.
The novel it's based on is set in a fictionalized version of Oklahoma - I guess translating that to Georgia while trying to stay true to the source material explains mess-ups with the regional details.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I loved Dark but I watched it in German with English subtitles

Watching Ultraviolet here and there in Polish with subtitles - it's a good show but I do intertwine it with 30 Rock episodes - that show is still so damn funny

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The novel it's based on is set in a fictionalized version of Oklahoma - I guess translating that to Georgia while trying to stay true to the source material explains mess-ups with the regional details.

What the heck does Stephen King know about either OK or GA, isn't he a New England boy? he should stick to what he knows.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
He has often set up shop for his books in the last town I worked in so yes it's surprising to me too

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I RJed Friday, so caught up on some Netflix.
I finished S2 of You. I really wasn't too impressed with the ending, actually. I don't know what left me "meh", but something did. My midwestern impression of the portrayal of the LA vibe seemed pretty spot-on as Rygor posted.
Finished Inside the Mind of Aaron Hernandez. That dude was a walking disaster looking for a place to happen. Such a shame.
Also finished Cheer. Those athletes are insanely talented (and brave - I wouldn't do that stuff). I understand there is a new sport called "STUNT" that takes the athletic performance of cheerleading into competitive collegiate sports.
And finally started Schitt's Creek. I don't think I would enjoy it if these were hour-long episodes, but the 20+ minute shows keep it pretty breezy. So far, so good.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
And finally started Schitt's Creek. I don't think I would enjoy it if these were hour-long episodes, but the 20+ minute shows keep it pretty breezy. So far, so good.
I kind of think what makes it funny is that you simultaneously sympathize with and hate the various characters, especially Moira and David, while Johnny and Alexis play their foils. So there's always kind of a double plot going on and they frequently intersect.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Hubby and I started The Expanse. While it started in 2015, we weren't really aware of it until last year. He's not as drawn in as I am so far, but we will finish out the 1st season together.

After that, I might be watching it alone.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
This Old House has an app on Roku... that will stream past episodes of This Old House and Ask This Old House 24/7... between that and hockey, nothing else matters.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hubby and I started The Expanse. While it started in 2015, we weren't really aware of it until last year. He's not as drawn in as I am so far, but we will finish out the 1st season together.

After that, I might be watching it alone.
Oh I loved that show!

Almost done watching 30 Rock - it's still as hilarious and irreverent lol

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Just started watching S1 of a British show, The Repair Shop. Here is the show description: expert artisans restore timeworn family heirlooms with touching sentimental value while also uncovering their uniquely rich histories. They tend to gloss over showing some of the actual repair work while it's in process, but they describe the 'how' pretty well. People's reactions on seeing their family heirlooms brought to life again is sometimes touching. Sort of an Antiques roadshow and Yankee Workshop hybrid.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Just finished watching Person of Interest; I really enjoyed it. The kiddos are also watching it separately -- the 20 yo said he's kinda bored of it; the 17 yo still likes it (but not as much as White Coller, which she loved.

Overall, one of the overarching story line could have been developed more (specifically concerning one of the main characters), some could have been wrapped up quicker. But overall I liked it. We finished it on Friday and I miss the characters this week.

**Also, I find myself noticing security cameras in my daily life and I'm tempted to look away when I see one.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just started The Stranger on Netflix - okay, will stay with it to see what happens

What I like about crime/thriller binge series is the crime isn't solved neatly in an hour like most network cop shows -

Rygor

Cyburbian
Just finished Part 8 of "The Ranch". Man I love that show. Sam Elliott is the best. I'm also guessing with the way they wrapped up the last episode so neatly that it was probably the last one. :(

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Watching Season 1 of the Dead Zone on the Roku Channel now. The show has aged pretty well. I get the feeling they didn't actually film it anywhere near Maine, though.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Finished off the series finale of Bojack Horseman. I tried something new tonight: The Kominsky Method. Most shows take two or three episodes to make me decide whether I like it. Kominsky pulled me right in. After a single episode I feel the characters... like I know them.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
So Netflix is doing a second season of Altered Carbon. Having read the trilogy, I'm curious whether they are going follow the books or come up with something new.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I started watching Virgin River on Netflix - it's a cheesy Northern Exposure soap opera but I am now hooked

I liked Altered Carbon

Still watching Ultraviolet here and there

Rygor

Cyburbian
I started watching Virgin River on Netflix - it's a cheesy Northern Exposure soap opera but I am now hooked

I liked Altered Carbon

Still watching Ultraviolet here and there
We binged all of Virgin River a couple months back and really liked it.

Also looking forward to Altered Carbon. The first season was amazing.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re-watching the last season of Better call Saul as I am watching the new season live - it really is one of the best shows ever

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Re-watching the last season of Better call Saul as I am watching the new season live - it really is one of the best shows ever
Watched Season 4 on Netflix last week.

That season was some of the best 'moving the chess pieces' seasons of TV I've seen so far. Excellent.

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Those of you with CBS All Access, are you watching 'Picard', and if so, what do you think so far?

estromberg

Cyburbian
I'm watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars cartoons with my son in preparation forSeason 7 that just came out. New season of Westworld starts March 15, so I'll probably binge Season 2 as a refresher.

Planit

Cyburbian
Time to geek out for a couple hours.

I stumbled on Terry Jones' Great Map Mystery on Prime this weekend. Its a 2008 4-part documentary with Terry Jones (of Monty Python) tries to travel Wales with 16th century maps.