• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

List your recent and current binge watch (streaming shows) here

AG74683

Cyburbian
I started the second season of Altered Carbon this weekend on Netflix. It's actually pretty good and better than the first season. I would definitely recommended it.
It took way too long to come out though. I don't remember anything from season 1 and have no clue what is even going on in season 2.

I watched all of season 2 of Lost in Space over the weekend. I DID remember what happened in season 1 of that show at least.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
It took way too long to come out though. I don't remember anything from season 1 and have no clue what is even going on in season 2.

I watched all of season 2 of Lost in Space over the weekend. I DID remember what happened in season 1 of that show at least.
I read the trilogy that the series is somewhat, more or less, based on. That did help somewhat.

I was a bit disappointed by the second season of LIS. With the way it ended, I don't think there will be a third season.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I was a bit disappointed by the second season of LIS. With the way it ended, I don't think there will be a third season.
Really? I thought it left it wide open for a third season. There's been no word on a third season, but I don't see why they'd cancel it now.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Really? I thought it left it wide open for a third season. There's been no word on a third season, but I don't see why they'd cancel it now.
If they were going to end it, it wasn't a bad ending. The kids did get saved, even if they were separated from their parents. I'd be curious if the parents survived. There is enough of a plot for a third season to work with.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Watched Locke & Key last week and although it was intriguing, there was not a good balance or lean one way or the other, of the teen angst and the mystery box light horror.

I think it should have shortened the episodes and leaned more into the mystery box light horror.

More like Stranger Things.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well, I'm going to have to eat my words. Lost in Space got renewed for a third and final season.
Nice! I think this last season is the best way to end the show. You can only keep the lost trope going for so long. The original 1965 series only went three seasons too.

Old Planner

I thought it was boring at first; now I have finished the entire series. I found the show relaxing after a chaotic week. Now, I am watching the Cruising the Cut vlogs on YouTube.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Damn it. I'm never going to get enough sleep if they keep doing this.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is on Netflix now.

DVD

Cyburbian
The Witcher had no sense of continuous story line. I get the feeling it was badly edited and chopped together. It's like they never really explain how the pieces all come together.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
The Witcher had no sense of continuous story line. I get the feeling it was badly edited and chopped together. It's like they never really explain how the pieces all come together.
Agreed. I guess the books were around since the 1990s but I can't help but think it was made to fill in the void Game of Thrones left when it was completed. GOT is far superior to TW.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I'll be finishing the first season (all 32 !!! episodes of it) of The Andy Griffith Show tonight and I've gotta say -- I like it. It's a cute and wholesome show that leaves you smiling through most of the episodes and it's only 20-some minutes long so it's the perfect candidate for 'we have 30 minutes before dinner and I don't want to start a high-energy or high-emotional show' or 'I don't want to stay up another hour but I am not quite ready for bed yet'.

And that Opie -- man, he's a cutie!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'll be finishing the first season (all 32 !!! episodes of it) of The Andy Griffith Show tonight and I've gotta say -- I like it. It's a cute and wholesome show that leaves you smiling through most of the episodes and it's only 20-some minutes long so it's the perfect candidate for 'we have 30 minutes before dinner and I don't want to start a high-energy or high-emotional show' or 'I don't want to stay up another hour but I am not quite ready for bed yet'.

I think there's something to be said for vintage television shows. The ones that made it to syndication and remain in circulation today have done so for a reason. Sure, there's the nostalgia factor, but as a rule the shows of yesteryear were less sophisticated. Being a new medium, the ideas they had were expressed with more simplicity and purity. Nowadays we're building on the tropes that developed from earlier tropes that were derived from even earlier tropes. Watching popular modern shows, say something like 'GoT' or 'Picard', begs almost undivided attention and no small amount of investment on the part of the viewer. A 23 minute long episode of Andy Griffith or the Twilight Zone (which had some of the best and most original writing ever), on the other hand, is not a lot of time and stories were routinely boiled down to their most essential elements. Viewers 'got' the dramatic or comedic message right away.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I think there's something to be said for vintage television shows. The ones that made it to syndication and remain in circulation today have done so for a reason. Sure, there's the nostalgia factor, but as a rule the shows of yesteryear were less sophisticated. Being a new medium, the ideas they had were expressed with more simplicity and purity. Nowadays we're building on the tropes that developed from earlier tropes that were derived from even earlier tropes. Watching popular modern shows, say something like 'GoT' or 'Picard', begs almost undivided attention and no small amount of investment on the part of the viewer. A 23 minute long episode of Andy Griffith or the Twilight Zone (which had some of the best and most original writing ever), on the other hand, is not a lot of time and stories were routinely boiled down to their most essential elements. Viewers 'got' the dramatic or comedic message right away.
I agree with you. My wife and I pick a few of the older syndicated shows and record and then watch although she does not care for Hogan's Heroes. We've gone through Alice and now Magnum PI, which first aired 40 years ago if you don't think that show is vintage. MeTV is great for many classic shows.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Golf buddy of mine suggested The Witcher. I'm as lost as Harvey Weinstein on way to his first shower in jail.
Agreed. I guess the books were around since the 1990s but I can't help but think it was made to fill in the void Game of Thrones left when it was completed. GOT is far superior to TW.

I had the same problem. . . I wanted to like it but it was kind of confusing and so I got kind of bored sometimes. :oops: I think I'd do better by reading the books.

AG74683

Cyburbian

If you happen to have Disney+, check out Spin and Marty. It has a similar vibe.

FWIW, the most accessible portion of The Witcher are the video games. That's what really spawned the fanfare of the series. The Witcher III - Wild Hunt is probably the easiest one to get in to. Oh and I should say that the show has been kind of panned for being difficult to follow, even by fans. The time travel stuff messed it all up.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I had the same problem. . . I wanted to like it but it was kind of confusing and so I got kind of bored sometimes. :oops: I think I'd do better by reading the books.
Seems like even the folks who had read the books were struggling with the show.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Speaking of cheesy soap dramas, I'm watching Twin Peaks for the first time on Netflix.
Still watching this. I just finished Season 1 (of 2). I'll probably finish watching it. It is really cheesy, with dialogue and situations that sounds like it was written by eighth graders for an English project. And for several of the characters it is really poorly acted (or over-acted). If I was sure that was intentional it would be hilarious but I don't think that was the case so it's just kind of uncomfortable and sad. But actually, still hilarious.

I noticed that Kyle MacLachlan who plays FBI Agent Cooper is also in the current CBS sit-com Carol's Second Act about an older medical intern. MacLachlan plays Dr. Stephen Frost, senior attending physician of the interns.

I've also jumped back into Schitts Creek after leaving it for a while. Netflix put me back in earlier in the series than I had watched, so I'm watching reruns right now. I think I actually enjoy the episodes better the second time around- I don't pay attention to the story line as much and can zero in on the characters and the unspoken conflicts between them. For instance during a political campaign, two characters passive-aggressively exchange very thinly veiled barbs constantly. I missed a lot of them first time around.

Planit

Cyburbian
James May Toy Stories is fun...and I went through all episodes this weekend.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I found something on Netflix called October Faction. It's not very good, but it's not terrible either. Tamara Taylor is in it. You probably know her mostly from Bones where she played Dr. Camille Saroyan .

Westworld dropped season 3 last night. Haven't watched it yet though. Maybe Wednesday when I'll be home.

DVD

Cyburbian
October Faction was a solid meh. It'll entertain you during a virus filled apocalypse.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Finished October Faction. I ended up really enjoying it. Looking forward to another season (hopefully).

Started The Witcher this weekend. Unlike everyone else, I freaking LOVE it. I've been watching it all weekend. I understand the story line well enough. Starts out as 3 story lines at different times (Yennifer is oldest, then Geralt, then Ciri). Yennifer and Geralt's lines eventually catch up with one another, although Yennifer is probably much older than Geralt.

Ciri is Geralt's promised companion although he has no interest in her, he just invoked the Law of Surprise because he just didn't want to think of any actual gift. Yennifer is also smokin hot now.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
The Valhalla Murders. It's Icelandic, but the dubbing is good and the lead actress is great! It's only 8 episodes, so you can knock it out in a day or two, easy.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
So Twin Peaks (original series) is done. Apparently there is a third season that debuted on Showtime in 2017 but it's not on Netflix.

Planit

Cyburbian
Okay Boomers - I stumbled upon Rowan & Martin's Laugh In on amazon last night.
OMG, I have an entire different perspective of the show from when it originally aired in the mid/late 60s...when I was around 7 or 8 years old.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Okay Boomers - I stumbled upon Rowan & Martin's Laugh In on amazon last night.
OMG, I have an entire different perspective of the show from when it originally aired in the mid/late 60s...when I was around 7 or 8 years old.
It, along with the Smothers Brothers show, was very subversive. They were pushing the buttons of society's norms like crazy. Some of it went too far. It's amazing to watch now.

If it's on Amazon that's another reason to get my wife to give me the logon and PW. She has a Prime account but I never got the info from her. She's got it written down somewhere.

DVD

Cyburbian
That might be something to watch. I always loved those two shows, but like Planit I only saw reruns when I was younger.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Moved on to Season 4 of 30 Rock.

Man...30 Rock was stellar comedy and heart from almost wall to wall for 3 seasons straight, but, if I remember correctly, somewhere around end of 4 and into 5 was a discernible dip. I'll just have to watch to remember.

Oh well...:D

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I got back into The Last Kingdom. I has started watching it, but stopped. I also read all the books it's more or less based on. It's ok, but I keep wanting the Viking to win.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
I watched all of Agatha Christie's " Pale Horse on Amazon last night. Its just two episodes, roughly 2.5 hours. Pretty good. I am thinking of trying The Expanse or Carnival Row next.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Y'all....buy into the hype and witness all that is TIGER KING.

I started it Friday night and watched every single episode. I ended up going to bed around 5 am. Totally worth it.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Y'all....buy into the hype and witness all that is TIGER KING.

I started it Friday night and watched every single episode. I ended up going to bed around 5 am. Totally worth it.
first episode made me think "maybe this could have been a podcast?" lol but I will keep watching

Watching Ultraviolet but it's in Polish subtitles so I can only watch it when I can stare at my screen to read.

On amazon, I loved Ray Donovan but only gt season 1 as I don't have Showtime

Also on Amazon, I surprised myself that I liked Mr Robot and Undone but I really was riveted. I am looking forward to next season of Bosch and I didn't think I would like that show either. Trapped was awesome. Fleabag was hilarious

AG74683

Cyburbian
first episode made me think "maybe this could have been a podcast?" lol but I will keep watching
Oh definitely not. You need the visuals to go with it. It's like watching a slow motion train wreck between like 5 different trains (one with a mullet), all while a giant meth crystal meteor is crashing down from the skies above. It is INSANE.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh definitely not. You need the visuals to go with it. It's like watching a slow motion train wreck between like 5 different trains (one with a mullet), all while a giant meth crystal meteor is crashing down from the skies above. It is INSANE.
ok, ok, I'm in...

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I'm generally not a fan of sci-fi, so I passed on Stranger Things until this past week. The first try really didn't stick so I went back to the beginning Saturday and started over. Finished Season 1 last night. Looking forward to starting Season 2 this week.

Better late than never, right?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'm generally not a fan of sci-fi, so I passed on Stranger Things until this past week. The first try really didn't stick so I went back to the beginning Saturday and started over. Finished Season 1 last night. Looking forward to starting Season 2 this week.

Better late than never, right?
I didn't watch The Big Lebowski until last year and have never seen Pulp Fiction.

You're forgiven.

;)