• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

List your recent and current binge watch (streaming shows) here

AG74683

Cyburbian
Season 3 is very different so far...with 3 episodes remaining in the season. While I'm still enjoying the show, it's definitely not as thought provoking or intriguing this season.
I haven't watched any of season 3. Season 2 sort of bored me towards the end and I lost a lot of interest in it.

Planit

Cyburbian
Started Outer Banks last night and the first episode set things up pretty well.

From what I read, it was supposed to be filmed in the Wilmington, NC area, but that when HB2 fight was going on in NC so they moved production in and around the Charleston, SC area.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I started season 3 of Westworld last night. I've watched the first two episodes and I really liked the first one with the Delores and Aaron Paul characters (I cannot remember his character's name). The music, the aesthetic, the storyline... everything was pretty stellar.

Episode 2 had a couple interesting concepts going on but never really grabbed me. I think it was just such a 180° turn from episode 1 that it was a little jarring. I'm still going to keep watching as I'm really interested in Delores's storyline.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Has anyone watched Carnival Row? It looks kind of interesting. Was thinking of checking it out.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I fell for the amazon marketing hype and started watching Upload. It's set in a future where "humans are able to upload themselves into their preferred choice of afterlife." I have seen it described as Black Mirror meets The Good Place. I haven't seen Black Mirror but I know several of you have, hince why I shared that. It's created by Greg Daniels, who is known for his work on Parks and Recreation and The Office. If you have Amazon Prime, it's worth watching. There is currently only one season with 10 thirty minute long episodes.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I fell for the amazon marketing hype and started watching Upload. It's set in a future where "humans are able to upload themselves into their preferred choice of afterlife." I have seen it described as Black Mirror meets The Good Place. I haven't seen Black Mirror but I know several of you have, hince why I shared that. It's created by Greg Daniels, who is known for his work on Parks and Recreation and The Office. If you have Amazon Prime, it's worth watching. There is currently only one season with 10 thirty minute long episodes.
I am watching this too - it's pretty good which surprised me

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
I started watching a British detective show on Amazon; DCI Banks. Not too bad. Has a fair amount of blood and gore, which surprised me. Sometimes the acting is a bit over the top, but overall I like it. I have been watching Baptiste on Masterpiece Mystery as well.

Its interesting the things I am watching I never would have probably if sports were around. I am not sure I can get into Korean Baseball, especially since its on at 1 AM.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Girlfriend and I started watching Black Sails on Starz recently. I'm on the fence about it so far. I really want to enjoy it because I love the pirate genre, but the characters just sort of suck. There's really no development of any of them, and frankly I don't remember like any of the names. I remember Long John Silver, Anne Bonny, and Calico Jack, only because those characters are pretty famous. The show is supposed to be a prequel to Treasure Island.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I am watching this too - it's pretty good which surprised me
My wife and I binged Upload over the weekend. We both loved it. My biggest complaint is that the last episode seemed way too short. I wanted more! Thankfully it's already been renewed for a second season but who knows how long it will be until that comes out.

I haven't seen Black Mirror but we did watch all of The Good Place and I really liked that but I liked Upload a lot more. I think I really appreciated the darker undertones in Upload.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Um...all seasons of Cougar Town are on Amazon Prime TV.

I've started into them this past weekend. I really enjoyed the 1st and 2nd season when it originally aired on ABC about 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: DVD

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Next season of Bordertown is up so I'll start that tonight - but I will tell you all that I read a book this weekend

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I started watching Jericho last night. I'm sorry I missed it when it was on air.
Good show. I hate it was only two seasons. If I remember correctly, they knew the show would not likely be renewed for a 3rd season so they filmed two endings, one that wrapped it up at the end of season two and another ending that left things open for a third season. I wish they would have been able to do that for the show, Revolution. Instead the viewer was left with a bunch of unresolved story lines.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Good show. I hate it was only two seasons. If I remember correctly, they knew the show would not likely be renewed for a 3rd season so they filmed two endings, one that wrapped it up at the end of season two and another ending that left things open for a third season. I wish they would have been able to do that for the show, Revolution. Instead the viewer was left with a bunch of unresolved story lines.
I agree with Revolution, which was a criminally underrated show.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Finished Upload a few days ago...now going with Superstore...

AG74683

Cyburbian
Started watching Outer Banks on Netflix the other day. It's....okay. Fairly formulaic, but it's a good shut your brain off show. I'm not entirely sure where on the Outer Banks it's supposed to take place, which is kind of annoying to me. I guess the show just sort of assumes the entire Outer Banks is a place, but there's a multitude of towns/cities along there. The rich people come from Figure Eight Island which is near Wrightsville Beach so I assume it's near there. They mentioned in the second episode that some folks they were expecting a visit from wouldn't be coming because the "ferries wouldn't be running", so I think the island is only accessible by boat, and there aren't very many of those around NC.

I also started watching The Last Kingdom last night. I like this one so far.

Planit

Cyburbian
Outer Banks was shot in and around Charleston, SC due to the HB2 issue NC was having when they were scouting locations and beginning production. The writers (brothers) were either from or spent a lot of time in the Outer Banks and named their island Kildare - a play on the town of Kill Devil Hills & Dare County.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Outer Banks was shot in and around Charleston, SC due to the HB2 issue NC was having when they were scouting locations and beginning production. The writers (brothers) were either from or spent a lot of time in the Outer Banks and named their island Kildare - a play on the town of Kill Devil Hills & Dare County.
AH! That makes sense. We thought maybe it was Kill Devil Hills actually. We saw KIL on one of the Sheriff's patches at one point.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I started watching Border town, there was a note that dubbing wasn't offered ( I never dub anyway) because of COVID - that is, they could't get into the studio to dub it over because it was all shut down) - so it made me wonder at what point will no new material come out because a lot of production stopped dead in mid-March or April so I guess we will see the results of that this fall?

As if there's nothing to watch out there (haha) but still, it will be interesting to see just the same how it affects everything.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Is it because I live in a 105 year old house with an endless 'to do' list? I just don't have so much time for TV as some of y'all.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
As I started watching Border town, there was a note that dubbing wasn't offered ( I never dub anyway) because of COVID - that is, they could't get into the studio to dub it over because it was all shut down) - so it made me wonder at what point will no new material come out because a lot of production stopped dead in mid-March or April so I guess we will see the results of that this fall?

As if there's nothing to watch out there (haha) but still, it will be interesting to see just the same how it affects everything.
My wife and I had a lot of network sitcoms that we like to watch and we always look forward to the new seasons beginning in the fall and we've started to lower our expectations about what will be available this year. Maybe there will be more animated offerings where the voice actors can generally record their parts remotely and send them into the studio. That's okay with me as I'd always enjoy some more episodes of Bob's Burgers, American Dad, and Archer. My wife wouldn't be so thrilled with those offerings though (well, may Bob's Burgers).

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it because I live in a 105 year old house with an endless 'to do' list? I just don't have so much time for TV as some of y'all.
Oh I just ignore all that lol

actually I watch stuff when cooking, doing dishes or folding laundry

terraplnr

Cyburbian

The season finale of Walking Dead has been on hold for a month or so already - they apparently can't finish/release it because of the shutdown.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I started watching Jericho last night. I'm sorry I missed it when it was on air.
Saw the wedding episode last night. The one where one of the main characters was supposed to be married on that day. She imagined how it was going to happen. She also imagined a life that was never going to be. This was inter-speed with the reality of her current situation. After the events of last year, it resonated with me. I could appreciate the reality of future you had all laid out, now never to be. It was a real heart breaker of an episode.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I finally finished Community. It went on a lot longer than it should have IMO. Season's 5 and 6 were really unnecessary, and the movie shouldn't happen. Once Chevy Chase and Donald Glover left, the show fell completely flat. I've come to the conclusion that I simply don't care for Dan Harmon. I tried to get into Rick and Morty but it's just not funny to me. Community had a lot more misses than hits for me. It'd be about every 3-4 episodes where I felt they were truly funny, the rest maybe got a chuckle or two from me. It relied too much on the same sort of concept over and over again. I never found the paintball episodes funny (and by extension the lava floor one). The holiday episodes were fairly bad (don't even get me started on the claymation one, has to be one of the WORST episodes of TV I have ever seen).

In short, it doesn't come anywhere close to Parks and Rec or The Office for me. I found every episode of those shows hilarious and it never felt like a chore to watch. Community was very difficult for me to finish.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
LP you NEED to sign up for Britbox. If for no other reason than just so you can watch seasons 4 and 5 of Shetland. Its almost worth it for that alone. I read online in December 2019 the BBC authorized two more seasons. Not sure how covid is going to affect production schedules but I am soooo looking forward to seasons 6 and 7.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
LP you NEED to sign up for Britbox. If for no other reason than just so you can watch seasons 4 and 5 of Shetland. Its almost worth it for that alone. I read online in December 2019 the BBC authorized two more seasons. Not sure how covid is going to affect production schedules but I am soooo looking forward to seasons 6 and 7.
I will as my netflix and amazon list feels a little meh

finished border town - this show is so good and worth reading the subtitles

got caught up on good girls - a fun show if you need something a little light

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm watching Upload right now. The wife got Disney+ for the kids so I watched Mandalorian yesterday. I'm not seeing a lot to watch on Disney+, but the kids are enjoying it for now.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'm watching Upload right now. The wife got Disney+ for the kids so I watched Mandalorian yesterday. I'm not seeing a lot to watch on Disney+, but the kids are enjoying it for now.
We just got Disney+ at the start of all the staying home. I enjoyed Mandalorian more than I thought I would and we've started doing "Movie Night" every Saturday night and Disney+ has had a few that we were all able to enjoy together. My wife has really enjoyed some of the nature shows and documentaries, especially the behind-the-scenes stuff about Disney movies or the parks.

My kids have been loving the service. My youngest daughter discovered Phineas and Ferb and that's all she can talk about. The oldest has tried out a bunch of different shows and cartoons and she really likes the Lizzy McGuire and Hannah Montana stuff (though she doesn't want to admit it to us).

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I finished watching Dead to Me last night. It's a ridiculous storyline and it's not really that good but I liked it.

Next, I'm SOOOO excited that Alias has just been added to Prime. I bought the entire show when I couldn't watch it for free via streaming and then the Season 2 dvd was faulty so I've been debating about whether to buy another set. Now I don't have to!! Love that show!

Bubba

Cyburbian
Mrs. Bubba and I are knocking out a couple of episodes of Perpetual Grace Ltd on the weekends...it's, um, odd. And, I think the showrunner let Ben Kingsley come up with most of his own dialogue. It's on-demand from Epix, so not sure how widespread that is.

I'm also halfway through Bodyguard on Netflix - the jury is still out on this one...

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, I feel the same about Dead To Me - ridiculous but watchable when you don't want to think too much - do hope they do another season

I have a worse one that is a train wreck I can't look away form is White Lines

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My wife and I powered through season 1 of Homecoming on Amazon Prime over the weekend and we both really enjoyed it. We watched the first 2 episodes of season 2 last night and so far, it's just as interesting.

I remember seeing previews for it when it first came out around the end of '18 and seeing Julia Roberts and thinking, "Man, does she really need a pay check bad enough to be doing an Amazon Prime series?" and then promptly forgot about. My wife saw a recent preview for the new season staring Janelle Monet and she wanted to watch it so we gave it a try. My wife really liked shows like Fringe and Under the Dome and this has hints of those except without the science fictiony aspects (or we just haven't seen that yet).