List your recent and current binge watch (streaming shows) here

Finished Father Brown, on to Shetland. Have to admit, I have some difficulty with the strong accents for some of the actors. But it does make me pay attention . . .

DVD

Cyburbian
My wife started watching Rake and she loves it. Compares it to House, but with a lawyer.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Finished Father Brown, on to Shetland. Have to admit, I have some difficulty with the strong accents for some of the actors. But it does make me pay attention . . .
I have moderate hearing loss. I usually watch shows with the closed captioning on and that effectively deals with any strong accents. Mrs. Maister has gotten so used to having the CC on that I notice she watches shows with it on even when I'm not watching with her.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So we're almost done with Shetland. What a great show. I like how the character Jimmy Perez defies the usual genius investigative mastermind trope. He has none of the ego associated with a Sherlock Holms or a Hercule Poirot, and he's not wily like a Lt. Columbo who lures you into underestimating him. He's bright, devoted, and has good instincts.

What I like most about the show, though, has more to do with how much one learns about the climate, culture, and people that live on those remote islands in the inhospitable North Sea.

Bubba

Cyburbian
One episode left in season one of Strike Back, should be able to start season two tonight...
Watched all of the first four seasons. This is so not "great" television, but it definitely was a fun show to watch.

Hasn't been my favorite season of it - I'm probably just irritated that this is the last season of Orphan Black.
Episode 8 was freaking great (clone swap!), and I'm good with how the season/series ended.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
So we're almost done with Shetland. What a great show. I like how the character Jimmy Perez defies the usual genius investigative mastermind trope. He has none of the ego associated with a Sherlock Holms or a Hercule Poirot, and he's not wily like a Lt. Columbo who lures you into underestimating him. He's bright, devoted, and has good instincts.

What I like most about the show, though, has more to do with how much one learns about the climate, culture, and people that live on those remote islands in the inhospitable North Sea.
Yes! What a great show - I think there will be another season too!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I just heard they were ending Longmire. Netflix will show one more season and then they're done

I just heard they were ending Longmire. Netflix will show one more season and then they're done
Yeah, that's too bad. I've heard all the books the series is based on. I've also been watching the series. I understand the finale is one ended and there might be a movie.

Found out that there is a new season of Face/Off. I started watching it last night.

Rygor

Cyburbian
Finally finished with the entire The Office series a couple weeks back. After that rolled into Sneaky Pete (on Amazon Prime). Nice change of pace, and love me some Bryan Cranston and Giovanni Ribisi. Finished that show in a week as there's only one season of 10 episodes so far. I hear they are working on the second season now.

The 4th season of Bojack Horseman was released Friday. I'm about halfway through and it's fantastic. Just as awesome as the first three seasons (so far, the 3rd season is my absolute favorite).

The 4th season of Bojack Horseman was released Friday. I'm about halfway through and it's fantastic. Just as awesome as the first three seasons (so far, the 3rd season is my absolute favorite).
[4:03PM] Yes, I'm through S4:E9. Fantastic. E9 is especially good.

[10:12PM] ...and S4:E11......:'(

[10:42PM] Okay, I'm telling you now: If you haven't been watching BoJack Horseman, you need to. It superficially will drill a hole all the way into your soul.

Not sure how else to describe it.

It's gonna be hell waiting for Season 5.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Okay, I'm telling you now: If you haven't been watching BoJack Horseman, you need to. It superficially will drill a hole all the way into your soul.

Not sure how else to describe it.

It's gonna be hell waiting for Season 5.
Is it a comedy? Drama? What's the premise?

I think I would describe it as an absurdist dark comedy.

The premise is that Bojack is a horse who was in a sitcom in the 1990s where he was a single dad raising three kids. He's been basically resting on his laurels since then and the show's 1st season starts off with him trying to navigate his slacker life in Hollywood while trying to get back into more serious acting. The show follows the various ups and downs (and downs, and downs, and downs...) from there.

[youtube]a1d1S58P0nc[/youtube]

I might also add that in the world of this show, anthropomorphic animals are normal, so having a horse star in a TV series in a human part is not necessarily odd. There's a lot of social commentary, pop culture references, and while it's basically typical adult humor, the show delves into some very deep subjects. After Season 3 I thought perhaps the series was played out; I couldn't imagine where else it would go, but then Season 4 was even better and went even deeper.

I've heard the Bojack character described as someone that everyone can understand or sympathize with but no one would want to be. They do a good job of putting him in circumstances where he makes the worst possible choices, yet on some level you can see why he does it; we've all had those moments.

The writing is amazing, not just the story lines, but the banter, the puns, the takeoffs (there is a magazine called Manatee Fair that is a parody of Vanity Fair; they do a lot of stuff like that with the animals.) Lots of wordplay. It's the kind of show you can rewatch to catch thing things you missed the first time (I used the 10 second rewind button quite a bit).

Note that there are adult situations; I would not watch this with kids (maybe high school, but be prepared to do some 'splainin').

Oh, and the clip above is for his "old show", and is purposely cheesy.

Oh, and the clip above is for his "old show", and is purposely cheesy.
I love Horsin' Around and think it's the perfect riff on cheesy late '80s and '90s ABC TGIF stuff like Perfect Strangers and Full House and Family Matters. I keep hoping they'll do a season arc that includes a few full length episodes of Horsin' Around or maybe secretly drop them into Netflix to be found on their own.

I definitely think the show is at its best when it's being serious (is it cheesy to say "touching"?) but still works in a couple great puns or pop culture references or an instance of Bojack making the obviously most self-centered decision possible regardless of how it affects others.

I agree about the show being re-watchable too. I think I've watched the first two seasons 3 or 4 times and the the 3rd season a couple times (I was trying to get through it again before the 4th season dropped but didn't quite get to it).

I love Horsin' Around and think it's the perfect riff on cheesy late '80s and '90s ABC TGIF stuff like Perfect Strangers and Full House and Family Matters. I keep hoping they'll do a season arc that includes a few full length episodes of Horsin' Around or maybe secretly drop them into Netflix to be found on their own.
Have you seen the Horsin' Around Christmas Episode?

Also: Pay attention to Diane's ringtones. Great running joke.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I've tried watching it a few times and just can't get into it. I usually like shows like this, but I dunno why but I don't really care for it. Maybe I need to watch a few more episodes?

Comedy Central has been airing a basically non-stop marathon of South Park in preparation for the 21st season premiere tonight. I've been watching that for the past week or so. I forget how freaking good that show really is.