• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

List your recent and current binge watch (streaming shows) here

MD Planner

Cyburbian
You all are watching all this new content. And I just started re-watching Cheers. Haha! It's been so long since I saw the first episodes I forgot how funny Coach really was.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
You all are watching all this new content. And I just started re-watching Cheers. Haha! It's been so long since I saw the first episodes I forgot how funny Coach really was.
I'm doing the same thing! I feel like the show just wasn't the same after Diane left..

AG74683

Cyburbian
I started watching Space Force last night. It's actually not that bad. I wouldn't say it's an incredible show, but certainly better than I expected.

The only thing is, it's too realistic. Like, I see all of this actually happening with the real Space Force. It's well written. For all the absurdity, there's enough real truth there for the entire thing to be plausible. The cast is absolutely fantastic too.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just started Counterpart on Amazon - I can't get the Farmer's Insurance commercial out of my head as I watch it but it's still good - always like the shows about parallel universes as I really hope there is one lol

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I started watching Space Force last night. It's actually not that bad. I wouldn't say it's an incredible show, but certainly better than I expected.

The only thing is, it's too realistic. Like, I see all of this actually happening with the real Space Force. It's well written. For all the absurdity, there's enough real truth there for the entire thing to be plausible. The cast is absolutely fantastic too.
We're about halfway through it and I'm enjoying it too. A lot of the headlines I read about it from various critics gave it pretty bad reviews (admittedly, I hadn't actually read the reviews) but I don't think it's all that bad at all. I agree that the cast is fantastic and I hope they plan to do subsequent seasons.

My biggest complaint is Steve Carell's voice - It's like he's trying to do his Gru voice from Despicable Me the entire time and it's pretty damn annoying. Gru might be funny in an animated situation but it just doesn't sound right when you see it actually coming from Carell.

AG74683

Cyburbian
My biggest complaint is Steve Carell's voice - It's like he's trying to do his Gru voice from Despicable Me the entire time and it's pretty damn annoying. Gru might be funny in an animated situation but it just doesn't sound right when you see it actually coming from Carell.
Oh yeah, definitely not a fan of the voice. It's awkward and seems at odds with the character. I don't even really consider him the star of the show anyway. It's John Malkovitch who is an absolutely perfect fit.

DVD

Cyburbian
Space Force was okay. I'm not a huge fan of the Steve Carell, but it works. I guess the critics were expecting more tRump slams, but that's not really his style. There are plenty of situational jokes that make fun of the times we live in without pointing out names.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
So I finally finished Jericho. It ended about the only way it could. I finally broke down and used a little of my stimulus money and bought season 3 of The Expanse on Amazon. I had watched the first two seasons of it when it was on SyFy. It's pretty good and definitely worth the money so far.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
starting season 3 of Dark that just dropped on Netflix then likely the new season of Dead wind that just came out.

watched the new episodes of Girl from Ipanema - fun show

new season of Marcella was very good

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Watched Filthy Rich: Jeffrey Epstein on Netflix. It wasn't the point of the series, but it has me considering whether his death was truly suicide. We know a lot more about AG Barr now than we did a year ago, so ...

I'm not typically into conspiracies, really

AG74683

Cyburbian
Watched Filthy Rich: Jeffrey Epstein on Netflix. It wasn't the point of the series, but it has me considering whether his death was truly suicide. We know a lot more about AG Barr now than we did a year ago, so ...

I'm not typically into conspiracies, really
I mean you don't need to watch a Netflix documentary to know it wasn't suicide. Ghislaine Maxwell is next. I give her 2 weeks before her "suicide" hits front page news.

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
Grand Designs. First on Netflix, then a combo of Prime and YouTube. A guilty pleasure bc architecture schadenfreude.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Finished all available seasons of Father Brown Mysteries, Death in Paradise, and now working our way through Poirot

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am 2 seasons behind in Death In Paradise as Netflix doesn't have them, need to get BritBox or whatever

I liked that show a lot but I can't get over how many people get killed on that island!

Love Poirot! Not a fan of Father Brown, he's a little much lol

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I am 2 seasons behind in Death In Paradise as Netflix doesn't have them, need to get BritBox or whatever

I liked that show a lot but I can't get over how many people get killed on that island!

Love Poirot! Not a fan of Father Brown, he's a little much lol
Yes, I am watching/watched all three shows on Britbox.

TOFB

Cyburbian
OK so we have similar tastes in other areas so I watched the trailer. Looks like Breaking Bad without the humor.

In these times, NO THANKS :eek:
Ok we are into Season 2 of Ozark and even the missus kind of likes it.

Turns out it is less depressing than the news anyway.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Started into Halt and Catch Fire on Netflix this week. Pretty good so far but only half way into season one.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
There are two additional seasons of Doctor Blake Mysteries on Britbox that you can't see on Netflix.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but lately we've been watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Easily one of the best shows I've ever seen. Every episode is hilarious, the characters are great, the concept is awesome. Really the whole show is just spectacular.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Even with my BritBox subscription, they want me to buy the lastest season of Death in Paradise, so I haven't seen it yet.

I'm caught up on Father Brown, and am in the next to last season of Waking the Dead. So far, season 4 was the best. Upload is on pause while Hubby and I watch I'll be Gone in the Dark on HBO - freakin awesome! The Perry Mason series is good - very film noir, and keeps my brain engaged.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Even with my BritBox subscription, they want me to buy the lastest season of Death in Paradise, so I haven't seen it yet.

I'm caught up on Father Brown, and am in the next to last season of Waking the Dead. So far, season 4 was the best. Upload is on pause while Hubby and I watch I'll be Gone in the Dark on HBO - freakin awesome! The Perry Mason series is good - very film noir, and keeps my brain engaged.
Sounds like we watch many of the same shows. I recently started watching Perry Mason on CBS All Access. I was pleasantly surprised how some elements of the show hold up as being entertaining even by today's standards (yeah, the b/w helps with the noire feel). OTOH if I was the Prosecutor, Hamilton Burger, and saw that Perry Mason was opposing counsel, I would save everyone's time and immediately concede - he only represents innocent clients after all. And yes a courtroom confession of guilt occurs Every. Single. Time.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Sounds like we watch many of the same shows. I recently started watching Perry Mason on CBS All Access. I was pleasantly surprised how some elements of the show hold up as being entertaining even by today's standards (yeah, the b/w helps with the noire feel). OTOH if I was the Prosecutor, Hamilton Burger, and saw that Perry Mason was opposing counsel, I would save everyone's time and immediately concede - he only represents innocent clients after all. And yes a courtroom confession of guilt occurs Every. Single. Time.
Sal is probably referencing the new Perry Mason series.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Sal is probably referencing the new Perry Mason series.

That's on HBO which means I'll have to wait to see it. That's okay, I can be patient when it comes to waiting for entertainment.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I've started watching The Ranch on Netflix. It has some great acting by seasoned veterans. It's amounts to some mindless fun that occasionally goes deep. The family relationships also seem real.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Started Outcry - we just started and 3 episodes are already out.

We used to live near the subject's school.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We watched the first 4 episodes of Forever on Amazon Prime recently and will watch the rest this week. So far, it's pretty funny but very subtle. I want to describe the plot but even describing the first 2 episodes spoils a lot. I will say that it stars Fred Armisen and Maya Rudolph. There isn't going to be a second season so we don't have to worry about investing too much time on this one.

I saw The Old Guard over the weekend. The action was pretty good but the story line was so-so.
My wife and I watched The Old Guard one evening last week and we both enjoyed it a lot more than we thought we would. The story was pretty silly, but we expected that going in. The ending set themselves up perfectly for a sequel and I'll happily watch it if/when it gets made.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We watched the first 4 episodes of Forever on Amazon Prime recently and will watch the rest this week. So far, it's pretty funny but very subtle. I want to describe the plot but even describing the first 2 episodes spoils a lot. I will say that it stars Fred Armisen and Maya Rudolph. There isn't going to be a second season so we don't have to worry about investing too much time on this one.
We finished up Forever and I am glad that they ended it in a way that was pretty satisfying, considering there is no 2nd season, but it also ended in a way that would have worked well if they did decide to continue it.

We started two other shows last week: The 100 and Kim's Convenience.

I had never heard of The 100 but it's got a few seasons (and I think a new one begins this week) on CW and is about people living on a space station after a nuclear apocalypse and a few generations later they decide to send 100 kids to Earth to see if it's safe to inhabit yet. It is an incredibly stupid show, but I'm enjoying it. It's like Lord of the Flies meets The Hunger Games. We are only about 5 or 6 episodes in and I don't know that we'll really rush through it but it is interesting so far.

Kim's Convenience is a Canadian sitcom about a Korean-Canadian family that runs a convenience store in Toronto. I had heard pretty good reviews about it and I'm glad we decided to give it a try. It is hilarious. All of the main characters are pretty likeable and everybody is pretty funny. It's not often I hear my wife actually laughing out loud at a show but this one has her laughing multiple times an episode.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
@WSU MUP Student I love The 100! I know it's on the teen channel CW, but it's a great show - you really should start at the very beginning, it's worth the time and explains a lot - I think it's on Netflix - I hope they do a prequel

I liked Forever - try Undone

I finally finished Dark and I won't be the same - it does pull you in, but you end up constantly confused without the map of who is who, and the end of the series leaves so many questions - but it does a great job of the true perils of time travel that many people miss in those types of shows

I think I need something light now

Planit

Cyburbian
We've been binge-watching Brooklyn 99 this weekend due to recovery of wisdom teeth extractions. The Girl has had it on almost exclusively.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
@WSU MUP Student I love The 100! I know it's on the teen channel CW, but it's a great show - you really should start at the very beginning, it's worth the time and explains a lot - I think it's on Netflix - I hope they do a prequel
Oh, we started The 100 from the beginning. I don't think I could start a science-fictiony show from some random spot in the middle.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Two recent limited series finds....

Little Fires Everywhere on Hulu.
Normal People on Hulu.

They are both book adaptations but don't let that put you off as they were exceptionally well done.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
We've been binge-watching Brooklyn 99 this weekend due to recovery of wisdom teeth extractions. The Girl has had it on almost exclusively.
That was/is our pandemic comfort show. Funny stuff.

Lately we've been watching the new Perry Mason, Bordertown (a Finnish police show), and Laverne and Shirley. Laverne and Shirley has to be one of my favorite comfort shows. Hulu also has some episodes of the Dick Van Dyke Show.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Loved Bordertown! Every season is better than the last one! @dandy_warhol

Just started season 2 of DeadWind just 10 minutes in before I feel asleep last night exhausted

I also watched The Pale Tourist from Jim Gaffigan on Amazon Prime, and I have to say, and I am a true fan of his, but I'm not liking it - he did exhaustive research on each location and his skit is just poking American fun at each of his research topics which, as an American audience, is okay, I guess, but I keep thinking "how is this funny to the people in the live audience in Spain when he is poking fun at Catalonia" which is not something to mess with btw - is that mostly canned laughter? I don't know...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The Great on hulu - my wife and I like the mix of grounded lunacy and set design

3rd season of Fargo on hulu - I started it this week and will give it a shot as seasons 1 & 2 were awesome

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Binged the Umbrella Academy this weekend. Good stuff. I think I might be suffering from stage 7 of paradox psychosis. Also stage 4. Sorry.
There are parts I didn't like and they had a bit too much torture pron. That being said, it really wasn't bad. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. A general comment about the second season is that you should judge the 60's by today's standards. Maister, I and a few others were actually born in the 60's and have vague memories of that time.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finished Season 3 of The Rain - this is an excellent show and they ended the series perfectly and it was a surprise

Started Riviera for something different and I have always liked Julia Stiles - nothing like a mindless soap opera after watching a bunch of doom and gloom

TOFB

Cyburbian
Anybody watching Harald Balder travel videos? He gets some bad raps but other than being kind of full of themself, I like them.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian

I started watchin Space Force, too. Has not grabbed my attention yet will give it a few more episodes. Same with Parks and Rec. I watched the first few seasons then never went back. Probably should see that show to the end. Waiting for The Good Place final season to come to Netflix.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I started watchin Space Force, too. Has not grabbed my attention yet will give it a few more episodes. Same with Parks and Rec. I watched the first few seasons then never went back. Probably should see that show to the end. Waiting for The Good Place final season to come to Netflix.
I didn't make it too far into Space Force. I got bored with it. Parks and Rec, like The Office, takes at least two seasons to get into it. The first seasons aren't at all like the rest of the show.

DVD

Cyburbian
Space Force was pretty meh. To me it had Office style humor, but you weren't as invested in the characters. If you're expecting great jokes at the presidents expense they're not there. It's not Carrel's style. There are mild jokes that you could infer involve the president, but nothing that outright slams him.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Space Force was pretty meh. To me it had Office style humor, but you weren't as invested in the characters. If you're expecting great jokes at the presidents expense they're not there. It's not Carrel's style. There are mild jokes that you could infer involve the president, but nothing that outright slams him.
The only joke that really got me laughing, at least in the few episodes I saw, was when the giant clippers came out of the Chinese spacecraft and snipped the solar panels off the US satellite. Actually that whole scene with the animals was pretty good.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My wife has hardcore binged Anne With an E, the recent CBC adaptation of Anne of Green Gables. She's watched it 3x through in the last week and a half and is now listening to a podcast that recaps each episode.

I started The Night Manager on Sunday evening and am halfway through it (there are only 6 episodes). It's based on the John le Carré novel of the same name. I've read a bunch of his stuff and, but not this one so I think I might go back and read this after I'm done with the series. I'm really enjoying it so far, the scenery everywhere is gorgeous and Hugh Laurie is the perfect evil villain.

FWIW, I really like spy shows but there never seem to be many good ones that are made for TV and I missed this one when it was originally broadcast a couple years ago so I was glad to see it pop up on Amazon Prime. I did enjoy Amazon's Jack Ryan too and there was a show on AMC about 10 years ago called Rubicon that was interesting but only lasted about a season. I was always hoping that one would get brought back for additional seasons on some streaming service, but it sadly never did.