• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

TV / movies 📺 List your recent and current binge watch (streaming shows) here

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
My wife is watching Anne With an E too. I don't require constant explosions and sleaze to stay engaged with a show, but this one feels just a bit alien for my sensibilities.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
We finished Ozark and Narcos and are now watching Queen of the South. I guess we have enjoyed the drug dramas lately... I will say Queen of the South isn't nearly as well written, and the plot is extremely weak, but it is pretty good so far. I am sad that Ozark only has one more season...

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Watching Frasier in its entirety on CBS All Access. Hard to believe the show started almost 30 years ago. Anyways, I found the writing to have been consistently above average and the comedy has aged quite well.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
It wasn't a binge but it was streaming so I'm going to mention The Monuments Men that I finally watched this weekend. Not particularly dynamic and lots of liberties were taken but the story was well told and I think it is a story that should be told. I've read more about it since and it's quite fascinating.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My wife and I started watching Never Have I Ever on Netflix this past week. It's a teen comedy about an Indian-American girl in Southern California. We've got one episode left in season 1 (it just recently got renewed for a 2nd season) and we're really enjoying it. It was created by Mindy Kaling and it has the bright, colorful feeling that her other big show (The Mindy Project) had.

It's not at all soapy like what I've seen of shows like Riverdale or Gossip Girl and has more of a feeling like silly teen movies like Can't Hardly Wait.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Last week, we finished season 2 of Cobra Kai in my house. This week, I actually started a conversation with "so do you think that X and Y will BLANK next season?" [important elements removed to avoid spoilers]

WHY do I love this show so much??!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Last week, we finished season 2 of Cobra Kai in my house. This week, I actually started a conversation with "so do you think that X and Y will BLANK next season?" [important elements removed to avoid spoilers]

Mrs. Maister liked it too. Her comment to me was in order to appreciate this show you HAVE TO have seen The Karate Kid for it to make sense.

michaelskis

Cyburbian

I watched 3 episodes and just was not able to get into it. The acting was just so freaking bad that it made me want to take a swan kick to the head just to forget what I had just watched.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'm trying The Expanse again, but I have to watch at night after the other 4 people in the house go to sleep (about 9p) and I have to make a concerted effort to stay awake, but I really love good sci-fi (and I've heard this is good once you get deeper into it), so...

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I'm trying The Expanse again, but I have to watch at night after the other 4 people in the house go to sleep (about 9p) and I have to make a concerted effort to stay awake, but I really love good sci-fi (and I've heard this is good once you get deeper into it), so...
Yes- and well worth getting through the first season, season and a half, if I recall.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I loved The Expanse so much but yeah in the beginning, I had to really pay attention as there are a lot of characters

I started The Bureau and then got bumped out of Amazon and have to pay for Sundance to finish it - the same thing happened with Riviera so I may buy that channel as we cut the cable cord and only have internet tv anyway.

Right now I am watching Season 6 of Schitt's Creek as it just got dropped in Netflix

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I really like and will have to break down and get Amazon Prime to see the rest of it.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We signed up for a free trial of Peacock so we could watch season 3 of AP Bio. We watched half the season last night and will probably watch the remaining episodes over the next couple evenings. We loved it when it was on NBC and were sad to see it get moved to streaming only for their new season. Oh well. It worked for NBC/Peacock to reel us in.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Watching season 8 of the Great British Baking Show. Unfortunately, you cant binge this one. The production is in mid-season. Kinda like old school tv where you have to wait a week to see the next episode.

Also watching All Creatures Great and Small on Britbox. I believe this was made in the 1970's. Can't believe I never saw it back in the day. The show is a very faithful telling of James Harriot's beloved books.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Mrs. Maister liked it too. Her comment to me was in order to appreciate this show you HAVE TO have seen The Karate Kid for it to make sense.
Please tell me this isn't to say you've never seen Karate Kid?

It's also been years since I've seen the movie but the flashbacks are so fun that it makes me almost want to watch it again.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Ok. We are now caught up to present on Blacklist and, of course, I googled "what to watch after Blacklist" which resulted in a list of pay-per-episode or I've-already-seen-it.

Any suggestions from the throbbing Brian?

Lowland

Cyburbian
Finally started "What We Do In The Shadows" on Hulu. We absolutely loved the movie, but were very skeptical about the show initially. After some serious recommendations from friends, we gave it a go and have fallen in love. It takes a few episodes to gain its stride, but now we're rationing season 2 because we don't want it to be over so quickly.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We started The IT Crowd last week. Hilarious! It feels like an Are You Being Served (with a much smaller primary cast) for a new generation.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Started watching The Queen's Gambit on Netflix this past weekend.

It's a good period piece (starting in the mid 1950s to the late 1960s) about a female chess prodigy, then master. It's been described as The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel but more atmospheric and introspective.

I like it.

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I was disappointed in the final season of Schitt's Creek. It felt too formulaic to me, as compared to previous seasons. I did enjoy the retrospective at the end, however.

Planit

Cyburbian
Watched Borat Subsequent Moviefilm last night since it was an off-night for the World Series.

There were several parts where I laughed out loud.

DVD

Cyburbian
Going into CPAC in a robe was a good one.

I'm watching some Brooklyn 99 and occasionally Schitt's Creek.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Yeah, I can't binge Schitt's Creek but I do like it in smallish doses.

Thinking about going back and rewatching Dead Like Me. It just kills me that series was such a shitshow on the production side because the show itself was really good.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Started watching New Tricks on Britbox. We watched it maybe six years ago.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am watching Agatha Christie's Ordeal by Innocence on Amazon and it's really good - I like the three to five episode series - a lot happens quickly but not too quickly

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I am watching Agatha Christie's Ordeal by Innocence on Amazon and it's really good - I like the three to five episode series - a lot happens quickly but not too quickly
That's the same format Shetland operated with. It's tidy story telling that finds a happy medium between gloss and excruciating detail.

estromberg

Cyburbian
We started The IT Crowd last week. Hilarious! It feels like an Are You Being Served (with a much smaller primary cast) for a new generation.

We are currently watching the Great British Baking Show on Netflix and one of the hosts, Noel Fielding, played Richmond on The IT Crowd.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Emily in Paris was a delicious treat. Sort of has a Devil Wears Prada vibe but I appreciated the escape of not having to watch something dark & weighty.

Finished Season 2 of Cobra Kai last weekend. Loved it.

Girls From Impanema is a Brazilian show on Netlix which I've really enjoyed.

Started watching Tehran on Apple TV and it's a spy type drama, I am two episodes in but so far it's engaging.

TOFB

Cyburbian
We finished Queen's Gambit a couple of weeks ago and it still resonates with me. The show could have been really dark but it wasn't. I've never been much of a chess player, but want to play again.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just finished the latest season of Virgin River - I am embarrassed to admit I like that show as it's a Hallmark soap opera like thing but a little light whatever is good as I often watch more dystopian things

speaking of which, waiting for the next season of The Expanse to drop and cannot wait

watched many seasons of New Tricks on Amazon Prime - had to stop when the new chief detective came on - only so much #getoffmylawn I can take - it is a good light show though

working on season 4 of The Crown

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Finally got around to (re)starting The Crown. Highly entertaining. As odd as it might seem, I can't help but view the royal family as victims after seeing this.

Is it just me or does anyone else think the actress playing young Elizabeth has at least a passing resemblance to young LP?

1607955820752.png

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Finished all available seasons of The Crown. Some interesting stuff in Season 4 - and things I vaguely remember from the news at that time. I do remember getting up at some ungodly hour to watch the wedding.

Halfway through Queen's Gambit - and have already recommended it to others because it's that good.

Since I'm paying for BritBox, I'm also watching shows like Death in Paradise (all caught up!), Midsomer Murders (all caught up!), Silent Witness (up to Season 21) and other British oldies. I enjoy the period dramas, but I can't binge them.