• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

TV / movies 📺 List your recent and current binge watch (streaming shows) here

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Was it just me or did you find yourself despising that a-hole guy who was clearly the favorite going in (the older guy who was teacher to some of the judges and students)?
Yeah, that older guy is younger than us. They needed a semi-villain and that was him. Once you knew his backstory, you understood him better. Blown Away tends to fall into that reality show format. Bad guy with a tragic background. A couple of hot women (yes the Japanese woman is pretty. Then again, I now have an appreciation for Asian women. I was surprised the person who won it, did win. I though the young lady who is loosing her eyesight, partially because of glass blowing, would win it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Yeah, that older guy is younger than us. They needed a semi-villain and that was him. Once you knew his backstory, you understood him better. Blown Away tends to fall into that reality show format. Bad guy with a tragic background. A couple of hot women (yes the Japanese woman is pretty. Then again, I now have an appreciation for Asian women. I was surprised the person who won it, did win. I though the young lady who is loosing her eyesight, partially because of glass blowing, would win it.
A villainous glassblower.
I have to process that phrase just so it really sinks in:
villainous glassblower.

TOFB

Cyburbian
The Dig on Netflix was excellent, but then I'm a historian so that was probably to be expected.

My Octopus Teacher was pretty good until I fell asleep. Might try to catch it from where I dozed off.
The Dig was outstanding. Didn't know much about it. Spend a good share of Sunday researching and, of course for me, exploring the site on Google Maps.

Octopus was better than expected, but still kind of meh for me. It made my wife cry and she doesn't cry over anything.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Well...with TOFB's and Gedunker's recs I now need to watch The Dig. I saw it's listing last night when I flipped the service's browser and was intrigued as I like both those actors.

But I had limited time last night, so I finished ChickFight instead on AmazonPrimeTV. :daydream:

Last edited:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
A villainous glassblower.
I have to process that phrase just so it really sinks in:
villainous glassblower.

Well the glory hole would be one way to dispose of a body.

I bought and downloaded season four of the Expanse. Darn good show and it helped take the edge off of being sick.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1612205611955.png

Heh heh! He said glory hole. Heh heh!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I'm on Season 2 of Drain the Oceans, on National Geographic/Disney+. Really interesting for historians, marine archeologists, and oceanographers.

Started WandaVision. Hubby is so confused he may not stick with it. I'm all in.

I added The Dig to my queue.

Planit

Cyburbian
I like Drain The Oceans, but the hype in the presentation gets a little annoying after a couple episodes. I'll come back to it after a few days/weeks.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I like Drain The Oceans, but the hype in the presentation gets a little annoying after a couple episodes. I'll come back to it after a few days/weeks.
Agreed.

I liked the episode where they drained Lake Huron and talked about the Alpena-Amberley Ridge. It's NW terminus is at my native stomping grounds in MI.

I didn't know it existed and was fascinated by it.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are there any other shows where you pretty much enjoy it, but unfortunately have 'B' or 'C' story lines that are downright annoying?

that's a good question -

I didn't like the banker mistress side bar plot on Money Heist comes to mind - it's an excellent show but that part was annoying and kind of cliche

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
We are also really slow to watch shows, so we just finished Westworld... which was pretty good.
Season 1 was phenomenal...seasons 2 and 3 good, but not even close to the first season. Not sure where the show goes in season 4...

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Season 1 was phenomenal...seasons 2 and 3 good, but not even close to the first season. Not sure where the show goes in season 4...
I couldn't agree more. I feel like there are a lot of plot holes that are just getting too big for me to resolve.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I love a good spy show and somebody recommended a french show called The Bureau that's available through The Sundance app on Roku. I started the first season over the weekend and am now about 8 episodes in. I'm hooked! It's great!

There are still a few more episodes left in the first season and 4 more seasons to go. I am using a 1-week free trial of Sundance but am probably going to pay for at least a full month because I really want to see the entire thing.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I started Borgen. Having trouble getting past some of the accents of the voice-over actors, and the lip-synching is terribly distracting. The show is quite good, but I don't know if I can look (and hear) past these issues. :nerd:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I started Borgen. Having trouble getting past some of the accents of the voice-over actors, and the lip-synching is terribly distracting. The show is quite good, but I don't know if I can look (and hear) past these issues. :nerd:

No! just do subtitles - it's worth it to read along - you still get the emotion/inflection - I am on season 3 and it is really good

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I love a good spy show and somebody recommended a french show called The Bureau that's available through The Sundance app on Roku. I started the first season over the weekend and am now about 8 episodes in. I'm hooked! It's great!

There are still a few more episodes left in the first season and 4 more seasons to go. I am using a 1-week free trial of Sundance but am probably going to pay for at least a full month because I really want to see the entire thing.

I'm now just about done with season 3 and planning to finish it up and hopefully watch the first episode of season 4 tonight. I can't remember the last time I binged a show this hard.

The show is primarily in French and there is no option for English subtitles so I'm forced to set down my phone and actually watch the show. This is seriously probably the best drama I've watched since The Wire.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Pluto has these classic TV channels where they run a show round the clock. Lately I have been into the old Mission Impossible. So far they are only doing the first two seasons so the later Leonard Nimoy episodes are not showing yet.

I watch this and Emergency! Yes, I am stuck in the 70's. Its been all downhill since.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Pluto has these classic TV channels where they run a show round the clock. Lately I have been into the old Mission Impossible. So far they are only doing the first two seasons so the later Leonard Nimoy episodes are not showing yet.

I watch this and Emergency! Yes, I am stuck in the 70's. Its been all downhill since.
I have the same over-the-air channels with my antenna (we couple this with our home wifi and smart TVs).

My wife likes their Columbo episodes as safe 'comfort' food. :D

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Low Winter Sun on Amazon Prime (originally an AMC series, one season, 10 episodes). Mark Strong and Lennie James as Detroit homicide detectives, very gritty portrayal of the City.

A guy who works in our office on our PR staff worked as a cinematographer on Low Winter Sun... that was back in the days when Michigan was still trying to become a player in the TV and film industry. That was a short lived and failed experiment in economic development...

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Wife and I watched the first 4 episodes of WandaVision last night. She's not a Marvel person and has no clue about any of the backstory, but we both are enjoying it so far. Nice quick 30 minute-ish episodes...with the finale being released today, will probably finish it tonight or tomorrow.