• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

TV / movies 📺 List your recent and current binge watch (streaming shows) here

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
download.jpg

I love Emergency! I am so stuck in the 70's.

I really enjoy seeing how much things have changed in terms of attitudes, etc. This show was pre 911. I record it on Youtube TV and watch it all the time.

Attachments

• 910E7IOyVQL._SL1500_.jpg
    910E7IOyVQL._SL1500_.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 6

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Second season of derry girls was great - The Night Manager on Amazon is good too

Nothing like quoting a nearly 2-year-old post, but my wife just discovered Derry Girls a few days ago and she kept trying to get me to watch it. For some reason I always thought it was supposed to be depressing and much more focused on The Troubles so I always avoided it but then she was laughing so loud at it she kept waking me up from a nap from the other side of the house so I gave it a shot. She had already finished the first two seasons so she started over at Season 1 with me Saturday night. It was hilarious. Easily one of the funniest shows I've seen in a very long time. We're now halfway through Season 2 and we'll finish that up tonight.

It sounds like they are just starting to film a third season. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for it to show up here in the states.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am watching The Bureau in French with subtitles - I think someone in here had watched it too - I like it alot

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Watched the first 2-3 episodes, then the last 2 episodes of American Vandal Season 1 last night on netflix.

Excellent satirical homage parody, but you can get the gist and a good payoff by watching it the way I did, but individual desires may vary.

Last edited:

terraplnr

Cyburbian
A bit late to the game over here but we're working our way through Westworld (in season 2 now).

We also recently finished season 1 of Fargo and I enjoyed it, want to start season 2 soon.

Hubby and I watched "Coming to America 2" yesterday and enjoyed it more than we thought we would. . . just go in expecting it to be ridiculous. :rofl: I lliked all of the cameos and the beautiful outfits!

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I'm always late to the party but this weekend I finally discovered Longmire. Have watched about 4 episodes so far. I'm definitely hooked. But I like to pace myself so I'll probably take several weeks to watch them all.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I signed up for Peacock and started watching Debris. It's pretty good. Peacock also seems pretty decent for a free streaming service.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I finished Season 1 of Lupin - it's French but I watched with dubbing (versus subtitles). I'm ready for Season 2!

Ted Lasso on Apple is a hoot!

Watching the Disney shows with Hubby - which means we are always at least a week behind. I had to convince him to stick with WandaVision, he likes Flacon and the Winter Soldier more, and we are both waiting for Loki!

estromberg

Cyburbian
The wife and I have finished rewatching Arrested Development (we hadn't seen season 5) and then watched Brews Brothers on Netflix. Last night we started watching Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Jerry Seinfeld. We really like it. Watched 6 or 7 episodes last night.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Concerning Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, a couple things have become apparent to me after watching several seasons of the show.
1) Many if not most comedians are not particularly funny or entertaining on an impromptu/daily life basis.
2) a sizable number of comedians are not particularly 'nice' people. Take the host, Jerry Seinfeld, as a case in point.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Concerning Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, a couple things have become apparent to me after watching several seasons of the show.
1) Many if not most comedians are not particularly funny or entertaining on an impromptu/daily life basis.
2) a sizable number of comedians are not particularly 'nice' people. Take the host, Jerry Seinfeld, as a case in point.
Agreed. Though several guests were unexpected treats in the setting - Sarah Jessica Parker and Steve Harvey

The one with Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks is wonderful, because Seinfeld had/has such reverence for those two guys that he shut up and just let them do their thing.

But Seinfeld clearly has a large blindspot in terms of causal homophobia...at best.

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The one with Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks is wonderful, because Seinfeld had/has such reverence for those two guys that he shut and just let them do their thing.
Anyone would be a fool not to shut up and let those two legends do their thing.

One of the things that made Johnny Carson such a great talk show host was his instinctive ability to know when to take the lead and when to hang back and let the guest run with it.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
One of the things that made Johnny Carson such a great talk show host was his instinctive ability to know when to take the lead and when to hang back and let the guest run with it.

Absolutely. And one of the reasons why Jimmy Fallon sucks. He just can't STFU when he should.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's some of the Comedians in Cars that I really enjoyed - yes on Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks not just because I could watch those two read a phone book but because it was nice to see Jerry truly humbled

I haven't watched the latest run but the ones that come into memory that were really funny to me was: Sarah Jessica Parker (mostly because they had so much in common with their LI upbringing), Sebastian Maniscalo (the first one only, the second one, he was kind of a dink - he is kind of a dink and that's why they get along) Tracey Morgan, Alec Baldwin, Larry David, Bob Einstein, Steve Harvey, Jimmy Fallon, Aziz, Trevor Noah - what's in common with my favorites is that they aren't necessarily funny, but the story telling is great - loved Obama's ride and the one with Michael Richards really broke me up actually

You can tell when he isn't hitting it off because the chemistry isn't there, like Kathleen Madigan, who I love, that didn't work

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Alec Baldwin
People can certainly have opinions about Baldwin, but he's objectively an amazing storyteller and polymath actor.

He just excels in his episode.

Apart from the excellent chemistry between the two, the Parker episode sparks joy for me, because she gleefully expresses her deeply imprinted love for 1970's station wagons as represented by her mint(ish)-state 1975(?) Ford Country Squire that was the car they used.

I also have a deeply imprinted love of the same station wagon years/brand, so I think her and I would have good chemistry, too. :p

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thing about Jerry Seinfeld, and I think he admits this in an episode, that, unlike most comedians that are really good, he had a very vanilla upbringing - parents weren't alcoholics, etc etc - he's a guy from Long Island that is very observant of the details of the human experience and now that he's loaded and pushed out into a generational gap, he's more of a cynic - I think he's talented but the reason he can do these shows about nothing and they are funny is because he's so vanilla himself

A lot of comedians have some serious dysfunctions in their past

I remember going to New England favorite, Bob Marley, and he made a joke about his alcoholic father and it was so biting (wish I could remember it now) that the audience gasped a little, and he quickly recovered and said "hey I'm not up here because everything's great..." to me, that comment said it all

TOFB

Cyburbian
Since I am now hunkered down with the VID I am going to get a Showtime trial and watch the last three seasons of Homeland. Any other suggestions tailored for me? (and I feel fine, BTW)

Planit

Cyburbian
Watched a few episodes of Frank of Ireland (amazon prime) this weekend. It was - well - interesting to say the least.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Since I am now hunkered down with the VID I am going to get a Showtime trial and watch the last three seasons of Homeland. Any other suggestions tailored for me? (and I feel fine, BTW)

On Showtime we really liked The Good Lord Bird last year. It's a mash-up of dark comedy and historical drama about John Brown and the fight for abolition. It's a shame that it was only a miniseries and there won't be a second season but it wrapped up nicely.

Moonbase 8 was a comedy about some John C. Reilly, Fred Armisen, and Tim Heidecker as horrible astronauts in training. It was very stupid but very funny. The music was also scored by Steven Drozd, the lead singer of The Flaming Lips, so that was sort of cool.

On Becoming a God in Central Florida was a dark comedy with Kirsten Dunst working her way up a culty pyramid scheme outside Orlando in the 90s. It was a good one but got a little weird toward the end and unfortunately the second season was canceled because of the pandemic. It was still a fun watch though.

Bubba

Cyburbian
For you Cobra Kai fans - the LaRusso Mansion (which is here in metro Atlanta) is for sale. I'll happily host a laefest in a tavern near there if one of you moves in.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
For you Cobra Kai fans - the LaRusso Mansion (which is here in metro Atlanta) is for sale. I'll happily host a laefest in a tavern near there if one of you moves in.

I always thought that it was a strange looking house on the show. Seeing the pictures only confirms that. But the layout looks pretty good and I like the landscaping. I guess I can slum it down there for $2.6 million + some renovations.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I always thought that it was a strange looking house on the show. Seeing the pictures only confirms that. But the layout looks pretty good and I like the landscaping. I guess I can slum it down there for $2.6 million + some renovations.
Renovations - like fixing all of the fight damage?

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Watching Nightflyers - it's okay but it is effective at putting me to sleep

Also every Thursday on Amazon, they have been dropping an episode of Spy City - it's so good, worth reading subtitles as it's in 3 languages - it's the time period on Berlin right before the Wall went up - fascinating stuff, highly recommended

Next up will be be Season 2 of Ragnarok that just got dumped into Netflix

Bubba

Cyburbian

It's still available - get moving on it, folks.

Bosch season 7 drops on Amazon Prime Video in about a month, so I'm working my way back through the previous seasons. Mrs. Bubba and I are also slowly knocking out Money Heist on Netflix...for those of you that have seen any of it, y'all can call me "Atlanta". :cool:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I may finally break down and get Amazon Prime. There are several shows that look interesting. I'd also be able to binge on The Expanse.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I may finally break down and get Amazon Prime. There are several shows that look interesting. I'd also be able to binge on The Expanse.

We have Prime and are currently watching 'Psych'

Yes, The Expanse is a great show! And I love Psych - others may randomly watch an Office episode but I will put on Psych - it's just fun

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Yes, The Expanse is a great show! And I love Psych - others may randomly watch an Office episode but I will put on Psych - it's just fun
The funniest episode, or at least the moment where I laughed out loud the longest, was the one with the Civil War reenactment where Gus put on his 'fancy' uniform. Looked like a drum major! :ha:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Why would you ruin the experience like that? I mean when has a movie or tv show ever lived up to the book?
Kinda depends. Some movies/series were better than the books, some were worse. Some put a different spin on the source material, with good to mixed to bad. I just depended on the source material and the director. This is especially true when the mental images you had created while reading the book didn't match up with the movie/series.