• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

TV / movies 📺 List your recent and current binge watch (streaming shows) here

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I recently read Guadalcanal Diary and was telling a Marine friend of mine how much I liked it. He mentioned that it's his favorite WWII book and that if I haven't already seen it, I should check out the HBO miniseries The Pacific as a lot of the first episode or two is based on it while much of the rest of the series is based on other books we both also liked (With the Old Breed, Helmet for My Pillow, China Marine). I told him I tried watching it a few years ago and just couldn't get into it and the production value looked really bad.

I decided to give it a try again the other night and it's outstanding! I don't know what I turned on a few years ago though it couldn't have been this. I'm halfway through and I'm enjoying The Pacific more than Band of Brothers.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I recently read Guadalcanal Diary and was telling a Marine friend of mine how much I liked it. He mentioned that it's his favorite WWII book and that if I haven't already seen it, I should check out the HBO miniseries The Pacific as a lot of the first episode or two is based on it while much of the rest of the series is based on other books we both also liked (With the Old Breed, Helmet for My Pillow, China Marine). I told him I tried watching it a few years ago and just couldn't get into it and the production value looked really bad.

I decided to give it a try again the other night and it's outstanding! I don't know what I turned on a few years ago though it couldn't have been this. I'm halfway through and I'm enjoying The Pacific more than Band of Brothers.
Add Islands of the Damned to that list of books.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just finished the second season of Ragnarok - it's really good

Now watching the latest season of Workin Moms and it's so good

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Finished Lupin. Sad that's it's over, thrilled that there will more later!

Having fun with Loki, finished Sons of Sam on Netflix (has some dark parts), and am about to start the second season of For All Mankind.

On Netflix, I recommend:
This is a Robbery
Murder Among the Mormans
Sons of Sam

Planit

Cyburbian
Watched "Good On Paper" on Netflix this past weekend. It's a 'mostly true story about a big lie' and pretty good.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finished Lupin. Sad that's it's over, thrilled that there will more later!

Having fun with Loki, finished Sons of Sam on Netflix (has some dark parts), and am about to start the second season of For All Mankind.

On Netflix, I recommend:
This is a Robbery
Murder Among the Mormans
Sons of Sam

Yes Lupin, me too - it was good! I hope they do one more season?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
We spent part of the weekend binging the first season of Katla on Netflix. It was very ... Icelandic. I didn't expect to binge it, but we just kept on watching one more, and one more, and one more ...

Watch the English language version. Most Icelanders speak excellent English, so it's not like it's any less authentic than the subtitled Icelandic version.

My wife is a native of Los Angeles, and she'll often say "I've been there!" or "I know where that is!" during a lot of TV shows and movies. Katla takes place in and around Vik, a town with a population just over 300, in a hauntingly beautiful setting about a three hour drive away from Reykjavik. This was my turn to say "I've been there!"

vik_iceland_01.jpg

vik_iceland_02.jpg

Yes, that's a black volcanic sand beach.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finished the latest season of Workin Moms and it was good! Now watching the last season of Bosch -

Like the recommendations above so will try those next

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
MY daughter and I started watching Sweet Tooth on Netflix a couple nights ago and are really into it. We have three or four episodes left and I want to finish it with her tonight but I know I can't keep her up that late so it will have to wait one more day...

Planit

Cyburbian
MY daughter and I started watching Sweet Tooth on Netflix a couple nights ago and are really into it. We have three or four episodes left and I want to finish it with her tonight but I know I can't keep her up that late so it will have to wait one more day...
Mrs. P binged watched that one & really liked it.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Haven't started anything new yet - just waiting for Loki finale and then finishing up the others that I've/we've already started.

Did find some of the Great British Bake Off series quite entertaining, but the show makes me hungry and my diet is suffering.:cupcake::donut:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Which prompts the question: what do you all do during those intervals when you're between shows? How long does this period usually last? Do you ever find yourself feeling.....kinda empty after watching a particularly good series? Maybe find it even more difficult to 'get into' a new show (....yeah, there are some amusing characters on this show but it's no Shetland!....) and find the entertainment/engagement bar gets raised?

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Which prompts the question: what do you all do during those intervals when you're between shows? How long is does this period usually last? Do you ever find yourself feeling.....kind empty after watching a particularly good series? Maybe find it even more difficult to 'get into' a new show (....yeah, there are some amusing characters on this show but it's no Shetland!....) and find the entertainment/engagement bar gets raised?
I re-re-re-re-re-rewatch my favorite shows still streaming. Community, Happy Endings and 30 Rock are three constant regulars for me.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which prompts the question: what do you all do during those intervals when you're between shows? How long is does this period usually last? Do you ever find yourself feeling.....kind empty after watching a particularly good series? Maybe find it even more difficult to 'get into' a new show (....yeah, there are some amusing characters on this show but it's no Shetland!....) and find the entertainment/engagement bar gets raised?
I do take a break now in between shows - usually watch funny TikTok videos - if it's one I really liked, I will feel kind of sad and try to watch a show that's a different genre

I have re-watched 30 Rock, New Girl, Psych, Parks & Rec, and Burn Notice (right? that might be a deal breaker for some of you)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I have relatively high brow tastes so I constantly rewatch American Dad and The Cleveland Show when I'm not watching new stuff.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I re-re-re-re-re-rewatch my favorite shows still streaming. Community, Happy Endings and 30 Rock are three constant regulars for me.
This is frequently what I do. Watch shows that I've seen before and know for a fact that I enjoy. Kinda like reading LOTR for the 15th time

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I know I've posted this thought before but it's just staggering to me the amount of shows some folks watch. I'm not judging, I just don't have that kind of time.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
^^The shows I watch with Hubby are paced, not binged. He doesn't binge. So it takes us a while to get through a series.

Some shows are on while I do something else. The GBBO, shows I've seen before, stand-up comedy - those are on while I'm playing on the computer, cooking, cleaning, etc. Shows that require focus and attention - mysteries, subtitles, or similar - I'll sit and watch as many in a row as I can follow.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I know I've posted this thought before but it's just staggering to me the amount of shows some folks watch. I'm not judging, I just don't have that kind of time.

I imagine a lot of folks are probably like me: I don't really watch all that much TV (on average probably barely a little more than an hour a day in total except for Saturday night at-home-movie nights) but when I do find a show to watch, that's basically all I watch. Streaming has really given me the ability to watch so much TV but it's also given me the ability to be pretty discerning in what I do watch. Gone are the days of mindlessly flipping through the channels looking for something interesting to watch where you end up watching an extra hour of crap unplanned.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I imagine a lot of folks are probably like me: I don't really watch all that much TV (on average probably barely a little more than an hour a day in total except for Saturday night at-home-movie nights) but when I do find a show to watch, that's basically all I watch. Streaming has really given me the ability to watch so much TV but it's also given me the ability to be pretty discerning in what I do watch. Gone are the days of mindlessly flipping through the channels looking for something interesting to watch where you end up watching an extra hour of crap unplanned.
That is pretty much me. It's for the times I just want to chill and go blank for a while.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Anybody watching or watched Mare of Easttown yet? We are two episodes in and hooked. Kate Winslet is amazing.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian

Yep, that's me! I don't watch anything live; it's all recorded so if a new show comes out and is popular, I need a recommendation to even look for it since I won't just stumble on it while I'm channel surfing. I'm happy to get one hour of tv in per night but because of my friend, the DVR, (is that what it's even called anymore?) I've always got a great list of things to watch and don't need to pay attention to what day/ time/ season the show is coming back on the air. When it shows up in my DVR, YAY, I can watch it!

Some suspenseful shows, I want to watch in quick succession so I'll let them build up in the queue so I can watch them faster. We just picked back up Black List's latest season this way because we didn't want to have to wait months for _____ to _____ (which we're hoping happens soon). But it'll still take us 3-4 weeks to get through a season this way. For other shows that I'm less invested in, I'm okay to watch them once a week when they get recorded or whenever there's a break between other shows so it could take me a year to watch something else.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
We just finished Ted Lasso. I love good writing. It was exceptional. I mean they pulled an entire dialog from the Allen Iverson press conference...

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finished Bosch - feel like they buttoned it up so quickly but it had to end sometime

Don't judge but I am watching the new season of Virgin River - needed something happy

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Binged the final season of Atypical. I might rewatch the last couple episodes, since it was late when I watched them, and I might have missed some stuff. I fell unfulfilled, at this point. Anybody else have any impressions?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Binged the final season of Atypical. I might rewatch the last couple episodes, since it was late when I watched them, and I might have missed some stuff. I fell unfulfilled, at this point. Anybody else have any impressions?
I never resumed watching after season 1...the show didn't really resonate with me and my experiences with autism in my own family. That and I have a hard time watching actors "portray autism" without being a cartoonish stereotype. Give me an actually autistic actor in those roles, and I'll watch.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I like the Youtube videos that point out shows that give an accurate depictions of situations and show what people actually go through. Granted they're not 100% accurate, but it gives people insight to what it's like.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I never resumed watching after season 1...the show didn't really resonate with me and my experiences with autism in my own family. That and I have a hard time watching actors "portray autism" without being a cartoonish stereotype. Give me an actually autistic actor in those roles, and I'll watch.
Have you ever watch any of the iterations of Bron/Broen (The Bridge)? Although I don't think it is ever explicitly stated in the show, the female police detective is somewhere on the spectrum. Just curious if you have seen any of it about your opinion of those performances.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Have you ever watch any of the iterations of Bron/Broen (The Bridge)? Although I don't think it is ever explicitly stated in the show, the female police detective is somewhere on the spectrum. Just curious if you have seen any of it about your opinion of those performances.
I have not seen it. Might be worth checking out, thanks. :)

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I discovered "Eureka" this weekend and watched a couple of episodes. I am not sure how I haven't watched it before now.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I discovered "Eureka" this weekend and watched a couple of episodes. I am not sure how I haven't watched it before now.
Eureka was a great show while it lasted. It made me wish it was real so I could move there. I would love to be a planning director there.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My daughter and I finished Sweet Tooth last night. We both loved it from start to finish. A 2nd season hasn't been announced yet but we're definitely keeping our fingers crossed that we'll get one sooner rather than later.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Watching Flack right now on Amazon - it's pretty good, wasn't expecting that and is a 180 from finishing up Virgin River

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Mrs. Maister has been watching Virgin River. I know this because it's on Netflix whenever I walk by.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mrs. Maister has been watching Virgin River. I know this because it's on Netflix whenever I walk by.

You better be putting obscene amounts of candles and string some white bulbous holiday lights on the back deck and surprising her with a steak dinner and red wine when she's done watching it or suffer the consequences

#freeadvice

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
You better be putting obscene amounts of candles and string some white bulbous holiday lights on the back deck and surprising her with a steak dinner and red wine when she's done watching it or suffer the consequences

#freeadvice
That's what I'm afraid of.