• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Fantasy football 🏈 Live draft?

Should we have a live draft?

• Yes

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Let's settle the issue of a live draft. I think we need to have one. We can pick the time for everyone to sit down and pick. I even did one at midnight last year. Everyone I'm sure has a computer at home, except me. I can use my work computer or go to my inlaws. Probably will take a few hours, then it's done. The draft last year took way too long. So let the poll decide.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
There's no way I can predict being around for any length of time given my night meeting schedule and the time zone differences for all of us.

Dragon

Cyburbian
I like the idea of a live draft, but I second NHPlanner’s comments. I’ll go with “no” and hope that everyone works to speed things up this year.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
My preference is for having a live draft, but if it conflicts with others' schedules I'm amenable to this season's draft being conducted like last season's.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
We got it done last year... A little prodding here and there, but we got it done.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Like NH, I can't predict my availability for any length of time. If worse comes to worst I'd give Mastiff permission to draft in my name (thanks Mastiff!).

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I like the idea of a live draft. I do believe that yahoo has a feature where you can do a live draft and those who cannot attend can rank players. 2 years ago I was in a draft like this. 5 of us were present and 5 were on auto-draft.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
I like the idea of a live draft. I do believe that yahoo has a feature where you can do a live draft and those who cannot attend can rank players. 2 years ago I was in a draft like this. 5 of us were present and 5 were on auto-draft.

I would like to see something like this with like 12 hour limit or it is ranked and picked for you. As long as its faster than last year. That was agonizing.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Duke Of Dystopia said:
I would like to see something like this with like 12 hour limit or it is ranked and picked for you. As long as its faster than last year. That was agonizing.

I have a better idea... The "Viking Policy". Once the clock is set for your team, that's when I post "SO and SO is now on the clock..." they have a 12 hour window to make a pick. Unless they have made a previous arrangement with me (or someone else to proxy for them if they have to go on an extended absence), they get skipped.

When they realize the "skip", they can jump in and grab an available player, but if 10 teams have picked since their time ran out... those 10 players are not available.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
With sixteen teams and a 12 hour time limit, this is going to take forever. I still want to encourage a live draft. Like was said before, auto pick is enabled if someone cannot make the live draft. We can all make time to be at a live draft, regardless of where we live. If it has to be done, anyone can be there. All that has to be done is for instance, say on August 15, at 8 pm Eastern, the draft starts. A Sunday night - nobody has work meetings on Sunday night. That means what you have scheduled that night is completely your choice. Let's do the live draft. It is much more fun watching it unfold over a few minutes than days and puts the pressure you to pick.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
SlaveToTheGrind said:
With sixteen teams and a 12 hour time limit, this is going to take forever. I still want to encourage a live draft. Like was said before, auto pick is enabled if someone cannot make the live draft. We can all make time to be at a live draft, regardless of where we live. If it has to be done, anyone can be there. All that has to be done is for instance, say on August 15, at 8 pm Eastern, the draft starts. A Sunday night - nobody has work meetings on Sunday night. That means what you have scheduled that night is completely your choice. Let's do the live draft. It is much more fun watching it unfold over a few minutes than days and puts the pressure you to pick.

I don't care either way... I'll be at a live draft. But "auto draft" puts a team at a disadvantage. I hate 'em. I'll never be in an "auto only" draft again... :-#

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Planderella said:
If I'm not mistaken, we had an auto draft for the first season when NHPlanner was commish.

Yes, we did.

donk

Cyburbian
I am not really for alive draft either, but will do it if the majority wants to.

I know that doing it live, it still might take me 15-30 minutes to make up my mind about who to pick.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
NHPlanner said:
There weren't any complaints that I recall....lemme dig up the old thread.....

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1575

Problem #1 - We decided on a rookie draft. Anyone on autodraft would have to put those players on DO NOT DRAFT, or they may end up with a player they can't have.

Problem #2 - Autodraft SUCKS THE SWEAT FROM AN OBESE HOBO'S NAVEL! Seriously, if people want a live draft where people who don't make it get autodrafts, fine... but no autodraft for me. I draft on my needs, and also how other people have drafted. 1 person on auto screws me up, but I know I would be very unhappy with a computer selected team.

Status
Not open for further replies.