• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

local government saving the world

planasaurus

Cyburbian
A little while ago, at my previous job, I had a long, drawn out battle with the administration over recycling. The building where the planning department was located already had a recycling program. The only requirement of the tenants was to buy the blue bins, fill them with paper, and drag them into the hallway every 2 weeks. After realizing this, I asked the administration to buy a few bins for each floor, and was met with considerable resistance. Granted, the planning department was very poor (we still used poloroid cameras!), I thought that we should at the very least be doing this little bit to help the environment. I was told that the bins were just not in the budget this year, and we never got them. A few employees ended up buying bins themselves.

There so many things that cities do to clean up the environment - programs to build grassy rooftop decks, use clean fuel in municipal vehicles, build efficient city buildings. I would love to hear of any other good ideas.

Jen

Cyburbian
volunteer & save the world!

Hey Planasaurus- how are things in the land before time?

Have been pondering your post and I too think that local units of government should lead by example when it comes to environmental/conservation issues like recycling, alternative energies, watershed awareness, air quality and other 'green' technologies. And whatever happened to Al Gores's Reinventing Government Initiative?

And in constrast to that is the reality of which Perry in his 1999 essay 'Gareau v Duany" succinctly describes the crux of problem:

"What it all comes down to, it would seem, is a question of space decreed and space evolved. Planners have always had a fascination for the prospect of creating a grand scheme, the implementation of which would result in the good life. In the main, however, the critical mass professionals, laboring with land use planner labels, currently (and to a large part historically) view their roles as enablers of the free will of the market place.

And the beat goes on."

Top Bottom