• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Location of your office?

Is your place of work in:

• An urban environment (i.e. downtown government or office building, converted house, etc…)

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • A suburban environment (i.e. suburban “corporate style” office center, strip mall, etc…)

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • A rural environment (i.e. trailer, cabin, hut, tepee, etc…)

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

H

Cyburbian
I’ll go first.

Urban. We are in a converted house that has been subdivided into offices a few blocks from the “main street”.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
We are sandwiched in between a residential neighborhood, an industrial park, and a school, in a inner ring suburb.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Downtown in the County courthouse adjacent to the marina.

BKM

Cyburbian
I voted "suburban" because Fairfield is a suburb of the Bay Area and inner suburbs of that region. Plus, my office is in a very pleasant civic center "campus" setting with a lake, trees, plentiful parking.

On the other hand, the Civic Center is two blocks north of the City's old downtown commercial "main street" (Texas Street). This gives me the best of both worlds. :)

moose

While working on demolishing a massive aluminum smelting plant, we've taken up residence in the former health and personnel office (which was originally the cafeteria when the plant was built in 1942). Adjacent to the property are the Columbia River, a landfill, a gravel mine and cattle pasture.

JNL

Cyburbian
Other: industrial - has grown from a small port for industrial shipping

Rem

Cyburbian
Suburban - was on a tram route about 100 years ago but long since morphed into the burbs.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
The County built a new campus a number of years ago. Definitely in burbs.

My last job, the offices were right downtown (edge of) on a big beautiful lake. Ahh, the days when I had a window. such good times.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Urban - but that means the downtown of a rural community of 14,000 people.

If I have my way, more government workers will be located in downtowns. One of the provisions I suggested for "The Wisconsin Downtown Act" requires all state government offices to give preference to locations in certified downtowns, unless the cost difference is greater than 10 percent. The bill is working its way through the Assembly.

H

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
If I have my way, more government workers will be located in downtowns. One of the provisions I suggested for "The Wisconsin Downtown Act" requires all state government offices to give preference to locations in certified downtowns, unless the cost difference is greater than 10 percent. The bill is working its way through the Assembly.
That sounds like a good idea. Will you update us on that bill as is works its way through?

ecofem

Cyburbian
I'm in a historic neighborhood somewhat near downtown. I am lucky enough to have a desk in the front dining room of an old house built around 1915.

I get a great view out of the front window, which alternates between views of homeless folks talking to the iron fence in our front yard and physicians/nurses from the hospital down the street out for their daily run.

tsc

Cyburbian
4th floor of 8-story 1930's building in city center... looking out at Urban Renewal downtown 2-story mall....

jordanb

Cyburbian
I work downtown, in the south loop. Our office was located there back when the area was decaying, so now we're moving to another spot in the loop.

I'm from Springfield, IL, a city with a pretty nice downtown for its size. I assume that's because of all of the government offices there.

SGB

Cyburbian
Urban - barely. Our offices are located in the 5th smallest city in the state of New York!

Suburban because my office is in what is supposed to be the dining room of my tiny apartment. Our dining table went under our bed when I decided to set this up as my office.

I do my school work from here and I do some consulting work from here occassionally -- most of it "pro bono". Some day I will earn a living. I keep telling myself that. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can....

Wulf9

My office is downtown in a small town downtown. It's nice being downtown.

It's good to keep city hall downtown because people who would start a business will instinctively look at the downtown to see if they like the city -- even if they are going to locate in other areas of town. If city hall is in some remote location, it looks like the city has lost confidence in its core.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
In an office building on the southern fringe of Downtown. Located along a major road leading out of downtown to the interstate and suburbs. In an intercity transitional neighborhood approximately 40% hispanic, 30% white and 30% black.

My company recently bought the building next to ours and is committed to staying in the neighborhood in an effort to stablize it and encourage additional businesses to locate here.

donk

Cyburbian
Like cardinal, in one of the 2 downtowns of my rural "city" of 19 000 people spread out over 176 square km.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Located in an empty, dreary urban core that was vacated over the past 40 years by scared white people.

martini

Cyburbian
4th floor of an ugly 60's era office building. It is nice to be able tor ride my bike to lunch or appointments though!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Located in an interior cube in an old 2 story insurance company office building in a small scale suburban office park surrounded by a golf course.

The muni. I work for is one of those centerless post-war suburbs.

It's restricting, in a very park-like, bucolic way.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Urban - National Register Building Downtown in a small city. Abe Lincoln spoke here while running for president :)

pandersen

Cyburbian
According to the choices available - suburban.

I must say, however, that being located in a small strip mall wedged between an agricultural implment dealer and a KIA Autmobile just beside a Days Inn Motel doesn't make me feel suburban.

In my prior job, I was very much - urban. Worked on the 13th (yeah I know) flr of a large office tower in a major metropolitan city planning dept in the NE U.S. of A.

Still earlier job - rural. y so called nest was a construction trailer in a rural resddential subdivision in S. Ontario.

Looks like I can work anywhere.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Office building downtown that used to be a department store (Burdines, I think) and bank. It's great because we are right across the street from the Riverfront. When it's not blazing hot, it's the perfect place to take a walk along the river and check out the big yachts cruising along....also nice shops & restaurants.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Urban, on Main and Court st across from Lafayette Square and the soon to be empty National Fuel building who are leaving for suburbia because they want a campus like setting.

were in the ugly building on the right

Rem

Cyburbian
Rem said:
Suburban - was on a tram route about 100 years ago but long since morphed into the burbs.
Actually I lied - we all live in a yellow submarine.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Right hand tower, 7 floors down from top, 6th window in from the left.

photo courtesy the City of Toronto