• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Location, placement, and siting: what's the difference?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm tweaking some of the language in the FBC I've been working on. I'm trying to reduce the number of words with three or more syllables, to make the code more readable.

Three terms that have me a bit stumped are location, placement, and siting. I know they're not interchangable -- sometimes substituting "placement" or "siting" for location just sounds wrong. I'm a stickler for consistent terminology, though, and I want to make sure I"m using the terms consistently and correctly.

For what it's worth, some relevant definitions:

• a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location for a young doctor.
  • a place or situation occupied: a house in a fine location.
  • a tract of land of designated situation or limits: a mining location.
  • the act of locating; state of being located.

Placement:
  • the act of placing.
  • the state of being placed.
  • location; arrangement: the placement of furniture.

Siting:
  • the position or location of a town, building, etc., especially as to its environment: the site of our summer cabin.
  • the area or exact plot of ground on which anything is, has been, or is to be located: the site of ancient Troy.
  • to place in or provide with a site; locate.

Your thoughts?

DVD

Cyburbian
Throw siting out for not being plain English enough. I have no options for location or placement unless you feel like using fun words like erection.

Reactions: Dan