• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Logo ideas - bike lanes

Wulf9

We are about to stripe and sign our bike routes.

I was hoping for a classy set of graphics and a clever bike route name to augment to the standard bike route signs.

It would be nice if they had the impact of the "scenic route" signs you see in other cities. I want bikes to have the "good signs" and let the motorists have the ugly signs.

Any ideas or examples?

thanks.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Do you have a budget? I think there are some good European examples of signage/graphics for bicycle facilities. We tend to use stock MUTCD (Canada) signage around these parts. I think there may have been some updates proposed with some more innovative graphics...

Wulf9

Yep, I have a small budget. Bikeways have a 2% set aside in transportation funding, so it can't be raided for other purposes. Otherwise there is no way we would be spending money for bikes.

Wulf9

I'm bringing this up to the top one last time. Does anyone have examples of classy bike route signs? I want the sign to look so good people will want to hop on a bike and ride.

Jeff

Cyburbian
There's a picture of me in the gallery looking really cool with some lycra on... I'd make a great bike lane sign.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I don't know how much you can spend on these signs...

I've seen signs with the appearance of painted wood in many nice areas of cities. Also, you could build directories like you see in malls with maps of different bike routes, names of routes, length of route, and level of difficulty/amount of interaction with motorized vehicles. Austin, TX has done this in the park areas in the downtown area. I think they have bike route maps available online. You might try contacting them.

For bike lanes along streets, be sure to use a sign distinctive enough that motorists will take note and watch for bikes since most motorists think roads are for cars and cars only. Of course, that may just be a Texas thing.

Good luck, I hope this helps.