• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

(London, UK) Four-day closures on Tube

Dharmster

Cyburbian
StephenDedalus said:
it is the oldest subway system in the world. excellent system. especially the new stations at canary wharf.
Read the items they are working on. If they did proper periodic maintenance you do things like replace rail, refurbish station, and maintain signals on a regular basis. Also much of this stuff lasts a long time, and the fact that they are doing this on an emergency basis by closing down lines for four days at a stretch is a clue that they haven't been doing much maintenance.

Last edited:
Dharmster said:
Read the items they are working on. If they did proper periodic maintenance your do things like replace rail, refurbish station, and maintain signals on a regular basis. Also much of this stuff lasts a long time, and the fact that they are doing this on an emergency basis is a clue that they haven't been doing much maintenance.
interesting. i never knew it was this serious. i was in london for 4 days and i knew it had many issues, but i couldnt tell the difference between the tube and say nyc's subway. but im not an tranportation planner or anything.

funny. on skyscrapercity, there is a new york vs. london battle spanning like 40 pages, and the londoners are quite adament about the superiority of their system.