• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Long Weekend

donk

Cyburbian
This weekend is our long weekend for teh summer. it is NB Heritage Day, in Ontario it is Simcoe day and in NS it is Natal Day.

Anyone else have a long weekend and if so what does it celebrate?

My plans are to visit my parents, ride my bike and do laundry.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Going up to Ottawa for the weekend...I don't know what my wife has planned for us to do up there - we're visiting with some of her family.

jmf

Cyburbian
My rugby game is cancelled so that opens up my weekend a bit. I will probably go to an antique auction tomorrow and work around the yard/house on Sunday and put my feet up on Monday.

I used to work for a company where we took a half day on the Friday before the long weekend - so sweet!!!!!!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Monday is the ubiquitous "Civic Day" in Alberta. I guess I'll have to be civil.

We are staying in town, enjoying the beautiful smog-free 79F/25C weather (although unfortunately today it is 93F/34C)... and looking for a house. That will probably be the better part of the weekend: going out with Realtor on Saturday, maybe hit some open houses on Sunday.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
PlannerGirl said:
whats "civic day"?
They couldn't decide on a name for the holiday - so it's officially called the "civic holiday". As Donk mentioned, it's got various names in different provinces. Ontario calls it Simcoe Day, after our first Lieutenant (that's LEFT-tenant) Governor

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Next Monday (11th) is Victory Day in Rhode Island - formerly known as Victory over Japan Day. We're the only state politically incorrect enough to still celebrate it. I'm guessing it has more to do with strong labor unions who don't want to lose a holiday than political conservatism.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
This weekend is the Decatur Celebration, Illinois' largest free street festival. All of downtown Decatur is roped off, and up to 300,000 folks show up to eat fried foods, drink beer and wine, and listen to music on twelve stages. We got Paul Revere and the Raiders, we got Ray Parker Jr. (Ghostbusters), we got Mark Farner from Grand Funk Railroad, and we got Theron Denson, America's only African American Neil Diamond impressionist. It's gonna be a party! Whoo-ee!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
DecaturHawk said:
This weekend is the Decatur Celebration, Illinois' largest free street festival. All of downtown Decatur is roped off, and up to 300,000 folks show up to eat fried foods, drink beer and wine, and listen to music on twelve stages. We got Paul Revere and the Raiders, we got Ray Parker Jr. (Ghostbusters), we got Mark Farner from Grand Funk Railroad, and we got Theron Denson, America's only African American Neil Diamond impressionist. It's gonna be a party! Whoo-ee!
Wow, those are some big entertainers. Y'all must be wetting yourselves in Decatur.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
taking a week off for vacation
flying (4 hrs) this time instead of driving (14+hrs)
going to the Jersey Shore - been there every summer for 30+ yrs.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
In addition to the house hunting, we may go to a local festival here (Edmonton). It's called Heritage Days, but some just refer to it as Meat-On-A-Stick Days.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Ugh...It's SO FREAKIN' HOT! I can't imagine doing much of anything outside this weekend. I foresee trips to the mall or spending large quantities of time in the walk-in fridge at the liquor store. I can't wait to live in a place that has a nice cold finished basement. *crosses fingers*