• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Look out world, here I come!

JNL

Cyburbian
Woohoo! So exciting. Just been to the travel agent's and got a quote for a round-the-world ticket... first stop, Chicago!! Then on to Toronto. Which means, michaelskis, Cardinal and Tranplanner, I would love to take up your offers, and you better clear a space on your couch in early June! If I stick with the quote I have, I will fly out on June 5.

Bring on the Laefests! :-D

EDIT: changed 'will be taking up your offers' to 'would love to take up your offers' - forgot to be polite in my excitement!!

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Yeee Ha!

Hmmm, departing 5 June from NZ (is that our 4th?) flight time, calculating distance, course, speed, drag, co-efficients, assuming normal delays, et cetera, this could mean a weekday in Chicago Laefest. Unless you've got time to spend to get to Friday the 11th or Sat the 12th??

JNL

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
Yeee Ha!

Hmmm, departing 5 June from NZ (is that our 4th?) flight time, calculating distance, course, speed, drag, co-efficients, assuming normal delays, et cetera, this could mean a weekday in Chicago Laefest. Unless you've got time to spend to get to Friday the 11th or Sat the 12th??
Not sure about travel times yet (hate long-distance flights :-# ) but they have quoted me flying into and out of Chicago, so I could go see Mr and Mrs Tranplanner mid-week maybe, then get back for a Friday or Saturday Laefest :)

JNL

Cyburbian
Ha ha... shall I tell my parents I'm going to the US to meet people I know through the internet for a Laefest?

JNL said:
Ha ha... shall I tell my parents I'm going to the US to meet people I know through the internet for a Laefest?
Yeah, and then start mumbling to yourself, wondering if you can get a 6 week supply of birth control pills. o:) 8-! :-D Just don't mention the kitten killing part. B-)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
JNL said:
JNL thats awesome! I hope I can make it to the International Laefest in Chicago too!

donk

Cyburbian
I'll see you in TO too. if you want to visit outside the city let me know. I may have saved a few vacation days at my new job by then.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'm here in the heart of Chicago?

early June for an Chi-Laefest. Time to do what I do best. To the Plan Mobil, jordanb. We mustn't let down our Kiwi friend and other expectant cyburbians.

Now what would be the best locale? Must ponder the choices. :-D :)

JNL

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
I'm here in the heart of Chicago?
mendelman I didn't mean to leave anyone out, was just responding to those who already offered places to stay.

donk - excellent! Looks like I might need to stay a few more days :)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We Southern planners can't get to Chicago, I am sure. :-c Try to schedule a side trip to Florida! Florida is much more laid back than those midwestern places.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
JNL said:
Not sure about travel times yet (hate long-distance flights :-# ) but they have quoted me flying into and out of Chicago, so I could go see Mr and Mrs Tranplanner mid-week maybe, then get back for a Friday or Saturday Laefest :)
COOL :-D :-D :-D

Lengthened to meet post requirements. Who comes up with this stuff, anyway?

JNL

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Try to schedule a side trip to Florida!
Tempting... but I might have to save Florida for another trip, as much as I'd love to visit, at this rate I'll never get to Europe! :-D

Oops, not getting much work done today!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
OK, hang out with those stodgy midwesterners. I know they have a higher planner density than us Southerners, and thus provide more "met Cyburbians" points... ;-) Well, at least try to hit Philly and meet one of the goddesses.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
JNL said:
mendelman I didn't mean to leave anyone out, was just responding to those who already offered places to stay.

I would have offered a place to sleep, but I think my wife wouldn't appreicate me inviting a hot blonde to spend the night. We have a smallish one-bedroom apt and I'm sure she wants to be the only hot blonde sleeping here. :-D

My wife and I and friends in Toronto:
1418Toronto-med.jpg
I'm the one on the far right and my wife is the one next to me with the Michigan sweatshirt.

(Hot blonde is merely a compliment and not a come-on, in case someone's reading this ;-) )

JNL

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
My wife and I and friends in Toronto:
Cool pic! And I always thought you looked more... caveman-like.... ;)

I look forward to meeting you and mendelwoman :-}

JNL

Cyburbian
Announcement....

With this post, I enter the Clube!!!

And what better place than in a thread about meeting some of the friends I have made along the way :-}

See you soon michaelskis ;) (in the Clube, I mean)

JNL said:
Congrats! (and it wouldn't post my message cuz it is too short -- so why do I get harangued by folks for being "too long-winded" when there seem to be no Maximum posting limits but there are Minimum posting limits??? :-D )

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
JNL said:

EDIT: changed 'will be taking up your offers' to 'would love to take up your offers' - forgot to be polite in my excitement!!
I'd invite you to north Idaho but I hopefully won't be here in June (fingers crossed).

Rem

Cyburbian
Congratulations JNL on Clubedom.

I've been busy for a few days and you go and plan a Laetrip(tm) without me. I guess the Australians will get to meet up on the end of your Round the World ticket?

Mendelman fantastic skyscape in the back of your pic. BTW.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Hmmmm, if your going to be in TO, maybe you could swing by Buffalo and I could take you to Niagara Falls (although SO would probally kill me, but who cares).

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Cool - Donk and I will put something together to keep you busy while you're here.

Guess I better renovate the spare bedroom now, eh?

donk

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Cool - Donk and I will put something together to keep you busy while you're here.

Guess I better renovate the spare bedroom now, eh?
and the basement, or we'll be sharing a room. ;)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
JNL said:

And what better place than in a thread about meeting some of the friends I have made along the way :-}

See you soon michaelskis ;) (in the Clube, I mean)
:) I am sure that with your help, I can get there!

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Whoo-hoo, a huge "family" reunion....except that none of us are related....and most of us haven't met before....so it's not really a family reunion...but you get the idea :-}

Jen

Cyburbian
JNL is circumventing the globe!

Hey i just might come out of my lair for a CHicago Laefest, and I humbly offer a 'safe-house' for you to crash in only 3 hrs drive from downtown too! What is the theme of your vacation? brews, boys and breaking hearts?

What is your continental intinerary?????

Dragon

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
OK, hang out with those stodgy midwesterners. I know they have a higher planner density than us Southerners, and thus provide more "met Cyburbians" points... ;-)

I agree, the map of the location of Cyburbian's is far denser in the NE. It just means that we need to start recruiting better in the south.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
Can you say *post padding* o:)
I don’t know what you are talking about… I was responding to JNL’s post in a matter to express being a little flustered by her word choice!

Plannerbabs said:
Whoo-hoo, a huge "family" reunion....except that none of us are related....and most of us haven't met before....so it's not really a family reunion...but you get the idea :-}
Oh, so your saying the odds of a brawl and the cops being called are not that high? And how is this a "bad thing"? :-D

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Congrats for entering the clube JNL and have a great time. Looks like your goin to get a rousing welcome!!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
What? JNL changing hemisphere? how dare you! :p
good luck on the looong trip (do you go thru hawaii too or is it the other way around the world?)

oh and congrats on getting in the clube.. :)

JNL

Cyburbian
Hey SkeL! Nah, only a temporary change (6 week holiday). Will be going from Auckland to LA I think, then O'Hare (Chicago), then a few places in Europe, home via Bangkok.

Rem I was going to add a few days in Sydney (& nearby areas :)) but then I thought, lots to fit in already and with all the airpoints I will get, I will have a free trip to Aussie, and since I'm not going to be using annual leave, I'll save Aussie for another trip later in the year! And stay for a week or so, instead of just a couple of days :)

Might come over to Brissy for the International CPTED conference in September.