• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Look up in the sky...it's a bird...it's a plane....it's SUPERBOY

Genetic mutation turns tot into Superboy

DNA testing showed why: The boy has a genetic mutation that boosts muscle growth.

Many scientists believe the find could eventually lead to drugs for treating people with muscular dystrophy and other muscle-destroying conditions. And athletes would almost surely want to get their hands on such a drug and use it like steroids to bulk up.

The boy’s mutant DNA segment was found to block production of a protein called myostatin that limits muscle growth. The news comes seven years after researchers at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore created buff “mighty mice” by “turning off” the gene that directs cells to produce myostatin.
Somehow it just doesn't sound as if they found this baby by accident. It sounds more like a human experiment to me. :-\

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Quite scary, wonder if the kid can have a normal childhood and if his parents will try to have more kids like him.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I wonder what the effects upon his body will be as he grows. Will his muscles deteriorate at a faster rate than for most people who develop at a normal rate of growth? I wonder.

Big Easy King said:
I wonder what the effects upon his body will be as he grows. Will his muscles deteriorate at a faster rate than for most people who develop at a normal rate of growth? I wonder.
They did say that he will likely develop problems with his heart and other organs.

Sounds more like X-Men to me.... :p

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Hmmm I wonder if they will make a powder to limit the amount myostatin to put in a shake? I wonder if I could buy this stuff by the case?

freewaytincan

Cyburbian
What you saw in the sky wasn't superboy. It was a friend's 60 inch rocket that made it to 1200 feet, but failed to deploy the chutes and came crashing to earth.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
...intersting that this came out of germany, don't you think? Perhaps some of Adolf's secret genetic programs are still at work... :-\

Michele Zone

BANNED
Chet said:
...intersting that this came out of germany, don't you think? Perhaps some of Adolf's secret genetic programs are still at work... :-\
Actually, I was thinking of an earlier thread on this forum about how a former female Olympic Athlete got a sex change operation due to the amount of steroids she was given as a kid. :-0