• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Looking to start a Cyburbia Weather Page

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
I am currently building a web-page which will feature the current temperatures and forecasts for all the regulars here at Cyburbia. It will be broken down into U. S. and worldwide cities. Even Canadians will get their own table.

When completed, I will put it on my signature page so you can just click on it whenever you want. Or, if the moderators want to, we can make it a sticky.

I only have about three names right now because I don't know where most of you live. Hardly anybody puts their actual location under "Location".

If you would like to be added to the page, please tell me the town in which you currently live.

Here' what it looks like so far.

http://www.geocities.com/rabscuttle02/cyburbia.html

nerudite

Cyburbian
Well, I'm in Edmonton if you want to add me. And we are enjoying above freezing temperatures for the fourth day in a row... yay!

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
I have added most of these. YOu can click on the temperature for the forcast.

One more thing: Because there are so many members in this forum, and I have limited space, lets set a minimum requirement of 50 posts to get on the page. OK?

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Mine would never show... and Eugene, OR weather is very different from ours.

Besides, ours changes every 20 minutes.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Super Amputee Cat said:

This one is not coming up. Too small a town perhaps. What's the nearest fair-size city to Fairfield?
Try Ottumwa 52501

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Bullwinkle
bturk .
PlannerGirl
Tranplanner all added

Fairfield came up after all. It helps to spell

I'd like to add a few of our bretheren overseas, so if anybody knows the location of some of our members abroad, it would be great to add them.

Habanero

Cyburbian
oh, I want to be added-

Chandler, Arizona..

I just want to make everyone that doesn't have 70/clear weather jealous!! : )

and then you can laugh at me next summer with 1,282 degrees-

nerudite

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:

I'd like to add a few of our bretheren overseas, so if anybody knows the location of some of our members abroad, it would be great to add them.
I think JNL is in Wellington NZ.

And Journeymouse is in Surrey... uhhhh... Guildford maybe (UK).

I'll have to think of more...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'm in Whitewater, WI. Or should we list the city we would like to be in? (Madison)

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
And Journeymouse is in Surrey... uhhhh... Guildford maybe (UK).
For the purpose of this, I'm in London, or as near as dammit. Seeing as Guildford might be a bit harder to get data on :D

Habanero

Cyburbian
It was 45 this morning and people were putting heavy jackets on even though it will probably get to 80 by this evening. These Arizona people are crazy!!

nerudite

Cyburbian
It's going to be 54F here today... which is about 27 degrees above normal. Yay! All the snow that dumped a few weeks ago is almost gone. And it's all because I bought snow tires this year... Edmontonians should thank me for my thoughtfulness. ;)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
It was in the high 60's here yesterday... just beautiful. And it looks like we're going to have another one!

Perhaps some use of comp time is in order... Hot springs, lake, river, stream, mountain, city, big city... or ocean. Maybe a poll is in order!

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
The page looks good 'cat. My only beef is that the temps aren't in Celcius!
They have banners that show both F and C but they are too big to put in the table. Downsizing them makes the numbers almost illegible.

If you click on the temperature banner it will take you to a chart showing both F and C.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm using IE 6.0 and Mozilla 1.1. Unfortunately, images aren't showing up on the page. All broken images.

Get it working, and I'll get you some FTP space on the Cyburbia server for the page.

If someone made a Cyburbia pin map ... :)

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Dan said:
I'm using IE 6.0 and Mozilla 1.1. Unfortunately, images aren't showing up on the page. All broken images.

Get it working, and I'll get you some FTP space on the Cyburbia server for the page.

If someone made a Cyburbia pin map ... :)
I'll put the map out on the web somewhere tomorrow and link to it so I can use a bigger image. Here is a taste

Cardinal

Cyburbian
A good start, Giff. But while you are showing all of North America, you are forgetting at least a couple other continents.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Michael Stumpf said:
A good start, Giff. But while you are showing all of North America, you are forgetting at least a couple other continents.
I didn't know the north end of the continent had such a nice, neat edge.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Michael Stumpf said:
That is quite a problem. I don't have city data for anything but the US. Sorry folks, I'll keep trying.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Michael Stumpf said:
This is what happens when I dont forget.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
giff57 said:

It's called smoothing
Smoothing. That's a nice way to describe it. A good GIS term. Yes, we in the United States are 'smoothing' Canada. Then we will move on to other parts of the world.

JNL

Cyburbian
Cool page Cat! Shame there's nothing good to report on weather here at the moment. We're in the last month of Spring and having unseasonable horrible weather. High today is meant to be 11C brrrrr.

Your map makes me look so isolated giff57! I can't actually see New Zealand under that pin, but at least the location is correct. We do have a reasonable sized land-mass honest! Similar in size to Japan but with 30x less population.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Can my pin be moved to hell? It's FREAKIN' HOT OUTSIDE!

Screw the "dry heat"- this is hell. It's going to be Thanksgiving next week and it's hot outside.. why oh why did I chose to move to the desert?
:)

DA Monkey

Cyburbian
Great site Cat,

Its a shame to see our lonely ol N zedder out on their own, perhaps you should add some Australian content to remind them of who plays the better rugby.

Brisbane is a fine and warm 28 C today.